Re: [Clip] Re: Using ^$GetDocListAll$ in an outline document

  • Ian NTnerd
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 17, 2012
      I Like it!

      Nice solution. Also learned about ^$GetDocListAll$. How had I missed
      that great function?

      Ian

      On 17/11/2012 8:46 AM, flo.gehrke wrote:
      > Hi Joy,
      >

      > I wouldn't loop through all the topics. Open any sample OTL and try
      > this...
      >
      > ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
      > ^!Toolbar New Document
      > ^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$SAMPLE.OTL)$
      > ^!Select All
      > ^!InsertText ^$GetDocListAll("Search pattern";$0\r\n)$
      >
      > You will see the output immediately in a second document.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Flo

    • joy8388608
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2012

        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "joy8388608" <mycroftj@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Some ways of getting ^$GetDocListAll$ to work on ALL text in an
        > > outline are clip code to loop through all the topics, code to
        > > copy all topics to a new, temp doc and work on that, maybe code
        > > to save the outline as a temp file and rename ext to .txt then
        > > open that and work on it, etc.
        > >
        > > Has anyone found a nicer way of doing this?
        >
        > Hi Joy,
        >
        > I wouldn't loop through all the topics. Open any sample OTL and try this...
        >
        > ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
        > ^!Toolbar New Document
        > ^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$SAMPLE.OTL)$
        > ^!Select All
        > ^!InsertText ^$GetDocListAll("Search pattern";$0\r\n)$
        >
        > You will see the output immediately in a second document.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Flo

        Hi Flo,
        Thanks for the good idea. I didn't think about using GetFileText for returning the entire .otl file as text so that works great.

        There still is the problem of functions such as ^$GetDocReplaceAll$ which only works on the current outline topic. But I found that adding two lines such as

        ^!Save AS "C:\<origfolder>\<origfilename>.otl"
        ^!ToolBar Reload Document

        works pretty well as long as you don't accidentally overwrite the original doc if that was not the intent.

        Joy