[Clip] Re: Clip Challenge

  • Lawrence R. Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 1999
      Hi Wayne

      At 01:30 AM 4/2/1999 GMT, you wrote:

      >I need a clip that sorts the document tabs by filename, path,
      >extension, or date.
      >
      >The problem is that NoteTab does not have a command like
      >
      > ^!MoveDocTab FromIndex ToIndex
      >

      >I am asking if anyone can find a work around. Can document
      >tabs be moved using the ^!KeyBoard command? There are
      >several people on this list who are much more familiar
      >with the possible keyboard shortcuts than I am.
      >
      >Can anyone find any other workable method for a clip to
      >rearrange the document tabs?
      >
      >Oh, I just thought of a method that should work -
      >closing all open documents, then reopening them in the
      >desired sequence. This has a bad side effect of saving
      >changes - even if the user is not ready to have the
      >changes saved.
      >
      >Can anybody solve my challenge, and write a clip for
      >NoteTab 4.6 that reliably sorts the document tabs, and
      >has as few side-effects as possible ?????

      I have a tendency to get obsessive and not know when to quit sometimes when
      I get involved with projects like this and I have other things that I
      want/need to be doing today so I will just make some suggestions here and
      you can take it from there.

      First of all, I think that you are much more qualified to do the arrays and
      sorting to get the document names, etc from the index positions and get
      them ready to be rearranged so I am going to skip that part.

      You are right on as far as I am concerned about closing and reopening
      documents to rearrange them. But there is a way to handle documents that
      have been modified but not saved or documents that have been started or
      created but not yet saved.

      1. You need to test to see if the file exists. If it does not, you send
      your clip to the following commands.

      ^!Toolbar Copy All
      ^!Close Discard
      ^!Toolbar Paste New

      This will move an unsaved new document to the end of the index without
      having to save it first.

      2. Then you need to test to see if the file is modified. If it is, you
      send your clip to the following commands.

      ^!Toolbar Copy All
      ^!Close Discard
      ^!Keyboard ALT+F R 1
      ^!Toolbar Clear All
      ^!Toolbar Paste

      This will move a modified document to the end of the index list without
      losing the modifications and without having to save it first.

      3. Finally, if the document exists and is not modified, you just send it
      to the following commands.

      ^!Close
      ^!Keyboard ALT+F R 1

      Which moves it to the end of the index list.

      That should take care of the problem.

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ntb-clips
    • Kay Roath
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 1999
        4/1/1999 7:30 PM Wayne VanWeerthuizen wrote

        > I need a clip that sorts the document tabs by filename, path,
        > extension, or date.

        > The problem is that NoteTab does not have a command like
        > ^!MoveDocTab FromIndex ToIndex

        Another problem is that Windows does whatever it feels like
        with tabs that extend beyond the first row. Even if you got
        MoveDocTab, you really couldn't control the display with any
        degree of certainty. You're better off sticking with a
        wizard to show the files sorted in the various orders.

        ^$GetDocCount$ = total open
        ^!SetDocIndex - loop through the files
        ^## - for the name that's showing on the tab.
        (starts with path)
        ^$GetFileName(^##)$ (name & ext)
        ^$GetExt(^##)$
        ^$GetFileDate(^##)$
        ^$GetFileSize(^##)$
        ^$GetFileTime(^##)$

        Append sections to vars with ^p as delimiter. Sort & then
        replace ^p with | for your wizard.

        --- Grandma Kay ---
        http://notetab.kay.net

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ntb-clips