RE: [Clip] Re: Document tab organization

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 27, 2012
      Thanks Flo, that at least tells me that I've been doing it correcty in the past. I actually create a file named 'dummy'
      that I open while I close the others, then I open them in the proper order, and destroy dummy. It works, but it feels
      kludgy. I tried playing with screenupdate and StatusClose and walking through with debug on, and sometimes the closed
      file tab simply stays in place. Fortunately, when the clip ends, everything is in the correct order, but it just feels
      like something is not working right when I can't see a file close when told to close when stepping through manually.

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 28, 2012
        John,

        Not knowing what you are doing, makes this a shot in the dark.

        For most of my processing I read a file into an array. Then if wanted,
        write it out to a file as each line is processed. It is more predictable
        than working on open files. But there is less RegEx options available
        doing it this way, it will be slower at times. With this method you know
        where everything should be put and just append it to the end of the file
        it belongs to.

        It may not suit.

        Ian

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 28, 2012
          Thanks, Ian,
          The problem I'm facing is that I may have 20 files open at one time, some with the same names but in different folders.
          I choose one to run my library against, and I want that file, the working file and the final version to be the rightmost
          three file tabs, so I know exactly which file was run and what the result is. That means moving the starting file tab to
          the rightmost position to start, then adding the other two as they are created. While that might sound fairly
          straightforward, there is actually more complexity involved, since the working file must be frozen at different times
          based on what is being processed. For example, if it is processing an xml file or an html file, and the final is to have
          no xml/html, then the work file needs to have the html removed, then frozen, then the final gets the rest of the
          formatting which is performed on plain text. Finally, a file comparison tool runs to see what that final result did to
          the frozen version. It would make no sense to compare an html file with a plain text file.

          Not knowing what you are doing, makes this a shot in the dark.

          For most of my processing I read a file into an array. Then if wanted,
          write it out to a file as each line is processed. It is more predictable
          than working on open files. But there is less RegEx options available
          doing it this way, it will be slower at times. With this method you know
          where everything should be put and just append it to the end of the file
          it belongs to.

          It may not suit.

          Ian

          On 28/10/2012 4:40 AM, John Shotsky wrote:
          > Thanks Flo, that at least tells me that I've been doing it correcty in the past. I actually create a file named
          'dummy'
          > that I open while I close the others, then I open them in the proper order, and destroy dummy. It works, but it feels
          > kludgy. I tried playing with screenupdate and StatusClose and walking through with debug on, and sometimes the closed
          > file tab simply stays in place. Fortunately, when the clip ends, everything is in the correct order, but it just feels
          > like something is not working right when I can't see a file close when told to close when stepping through manually.
          >
          > Regards,
          > John

        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 28, 2012
            Oh, and I forgot to mention that when the file comparison is run, it is run as part of the clip library, so the system
            must know which files are the ones to be compared. For anyone wanting a good text file comparison program, I use
            CompareIt!, which is granular enough to show each and every change, as well as providing line wrap on both sides, so you
            don't have to scroll off the screen to see ends of lines.

            It is on sale with a 25% discount until Nov 1.
            http://www.grigsoft.com/index.htm

            Not knowing what you are doing, makes this a shot in the dark.

            For most of my processing I read a file into an array. Then if wanted,
            write it out to a file as each line is processed. It is more predictable
            than working on open files. But there is less RegEx options available
            doing it this way, it will be slower at times. With this method you know
            where everything should be put and just append it to the end of the file
            it belongs to.

            It may not suit.

            Ian

            On 28/10/2012 4:40 AM, John Shotsky wrote:
            > Thanks Flo, that at least tells me that I've been doing it correcty in the past. I actually create a file named
            'dummy'
            > that I open while I close the others, then I open them in the proper order, and destroy dummy. It works, but it feels
            > kludgy. I tried playing with screenupdate and StatusClose and walking through with debug on, and sometimes the closed
            > file tab simply stays in place. Fortunately, when the clip ends, everything is in the correct order, but it just feels
            > like something is not working right when I can't see a file close when told to close when stepping through manually.
            >
            > Regards,
            > John

          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 28, 2012
              At 10/27/2012 05:58 AM, John wrote:
              >One doesn't know how many tabs are open or what order they are in.

              Not quite true - ^$GetDocCount$ will tell you how many tabs are open
              but, like Flo, I think the only way to control he order is to save, sort and
              reload the tab docs from a file.

              Art