Re: [Clip] Document tab organization

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 27, 2012
      Hi
      is the document
      ^!Document [FIRST|LAST|NEXT|PREV] Selects the specified document tab.

      any help

      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 27, 2012
        One doesn't know how many tabs are open or what order they are in. As I said, the help system has been of no help in
        this situation � I want to control the order of the tabs, not chose from between them. If my files were named 1, 2, 3, I
        would like to force 1, 3, 2 to show up as 1, 2, 3 in the tabs.

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 27, 2012

          > ...I'd really like to just control the order of the tabs without
          > having to close and reopen files in the wanted order.
          > Is that even possible?

          Hi John,

          If you want to re-arrange the order of tabs with a clip then, IMHO, there's no other way than to save the names, close all files, and re-open them in alphabetical order, for example.

          Here's just a basic clip that could achieve this for me (designed for Ntb 7.1):

          ^!Set %Nr%=0

          :Loop
          ^!Inc %Nr%
          ^!If ^%Nr% > ^$GetDocCount$ Sort
          ^!Set %Name%=^$GetFileName(^$GetDocName(^%Nr%)$)$
          ^!Append %Files%=^%Name%^%NL%
          ^!Goto Loop

          :Sort
          ^!Close All
          ^!Set %Files%=^$StrSort("^%Files%";0;1;0)$
          ^!Set %Files%=^$StrReplace("\R+\Z";"";"^%Files%";RA)$
          ^!Set %Files%=^$StrReplace("^|$";"\x22";"^%Files%";RA)$
          ^!Set %Files%=^$StrReplace("\R";";";"^%Files%";RA)$
          ^!Open "^%Files%"
          ^!ClearVariables

          Probably, there are more details that need to be resolved -- like focussing a particular document after re-opening. There certainly are solutions for that...

          > Maybe I'm being tricked by the the 'screenupdate off' command,...

          If you '^!Close' a document while '^!SetScreenUpdate Off' is set, then it vanishes from the screen only at end of clip. To avoid this, you have to set '^!SetScreenUpdate On' in between, close the document, and set screen update back to "Off" if necessary.

          Regards,
          Flo
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 27, 2012
            Thanks Flo, that at least tells me that I've been doing it correcty in the past. I actually create a file named 'dummy'
            that I open while I close the others, then I open them in the proper order, and destroy dummy. It works, but it feels
            kludgy. I tried playing with screenupdate and StatusClose and walking through with debug on, and sometimes the closed
            file tab simply stays in place. Fortunately, when the clip ends, everything is in the correct order, but it just feels
            like something is not working right when I can't see a file close when told to close when stepping through manually.

            > ...I'd really like to just control the order of the tabs without
            > having to close and reopen files in the wanted order.
            > Is that even possible?

            Hi John,

            If you want to re-arrange the order of tabs with a clip then, IMHO, there's no other way than to save the names, close
            all files, and re-open them in alphabetical order, for example.

            Here's just a basic clip that could achieve this for me (designed for Ntb 7.1):

            ^!Set %Nr%=0

            :Loop
            ^!Inc %Nr%
            ^!If ^%Nr% > ^$GetDocCount$ Sort
            ^!Set %Name%=^$GetFileName(^$GetDocName(^%Nr%)$)$
            ^!Append %Files%=^%Name%^%NL%
            ^!Goto Loop

            :Sort
            ^!Close All
            ^!Set %Files%=^$StrSort("^%Files%";0;1;0)$
            ^!Set %Files%=^$StrReplace("\R+\Z";"";"^%Files%";RA)$
            ^!Set %Files%=^$StrReplace("^|$";"\x22";"^%Files%";RA)$
            ^!Set %Files%=^$StrReplace("\R";";";"^%Files%";RA)$
            ^!Open "^%Files%"
            ^!ClearVariables

            Probably, there are more details that need to be resolved -- like focussing a particular document after re-opening.
            There certainly are solutions for that...

            > Maybe I'm being tricked by the the 'screenupdate off' command,...

            If you '^!Close' a document while '^!SetScreenUpdate Off' is set, then it vanishes from the screen only at end of clip.
            To avoid this, you have to set '^!SetScreenUpdate On' in between, close the document, and set screen update back to
            "Off" if necessary.

            Regards,
            Flo

          • Ian NTnerd
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 28, 2012
              John,

              Not knowing what you are doing, makes this a shot in the dark.

              For most of my processing I read a file into an array. Then if wanted,
              write it out to a file as each line is processed. It is more predictable
              than working on open files. But there is less RegEx options available
              doing it this way, it will be slower at times. With this method you know
              where everything should be put and just append it to the end of the file
              it belongs to.

              It may not suit.

              Ian

            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 28, 2012
                Thanks, Ian,
                The problem I'm facing is that I may have 20 files open at one time, some with the same names but in different folders.
                I choose one to run my library against, and I want that file, the working file and the final version to be the rightmost
                three file tabs, so I know exactly which file was run and what the result is. That means moving the starting file tab to
                the rightmost position to start, then adding the other two as they are created. While that might sound fairly
                straightforward, there is actually more complexity involved, since the working file must be frozen at different times
                based on what is being processed. For example, if it is processing an xml file or an html file, and the final is to have
                no xml/html, then the work file needs to have the html removed, then frozen, then the final gets the rest of the
                formatting which is performed on plain text. Finally, a file comparison tool runs to see what that final result did to
                the frozen version. It would make no sense to compare an html file with a plain text file.

                Not knowing what you are doing, makes this a shot in the dark.

                For most of my processing I read a file into an array. Then if wanted,
                write it out to a file as each line is processed. It is more predictable
                than working on open files. But there is less RegEx options available
                doing it this way, it will be slower at times. With this method you know
                where everything should be put and just append it to the end of the file
                it belongs to.

                It may not suit.

                Ian

                On 28/10/2012 4:40 AM, John Shotsky wrote:
                > Thanks Flo, that at least tells me that I've been doing it correcty in the past. I actually create a file named
                'dummy'
                > that I open while I close the others, then I open them in the proper order, and destroy dummy. It works, but it feels
                > kludgy. I tried playing with screenupdate and StatusClose and walking through with debug on, and sometimes the closed
                > file tab simply stays in place. Fortunately, when the clip ends, everything is in the correct order, but it just feels
                > like something is not working right when I can't see a file close when told to close when stepping through manually.
                >
                > Regards,
                > John

              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 28, 2012
                  Oh, and I forgot to mention that when the file comparison is run, it is run as part of the clip library, so the system
                  must know which files are the ones to be compared. For anyone wanting a good text file comparison program, I use
                  CompareIt!, which is granular enough to show each and every change, as well as providing line wrap on both sides, so you
                  don't have to scroll off the screen to see ends of lines.

                  It is on sale with a 25% discount until Nov 1.
                  http://www.grigsoft.com/index.htm

                  Not knowing what you are doing, makes this a shot in the dark.

                  For most of my processing I read a file into an array. Then if wanted,
                  write it out to a file as each line is processed. It is more predictable
                  than working on open files. But there is less RegEx options available
                  doing it this way, it will be slower at times. With this method you know
                  where everything should be put and just append it to the end of the file
                  it belongs to.

                  It may not suit.

                  Ian

                  On 28/10/2012 4:40 AM, John Shotsky wrote:
                  > Thanks Flo, that at least tells me that I've been doing it correcty in the past. I actually create a file named
                  'dummy'
                  > that I open while I close the others, then I open them in the proper order, and destroy dummy. It works, but it feels
                  > kludgy. I tried playing with screenupdate and StatusClose and walking through with debug on, and sometimes the closed
                  > file tab simply stays in place. Fortunately, when the clip ends, everything is in the correct order, but it just feels
                  > like something is not working right when I can't see a file close when told to close when stepping through manually.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > John

                • Art Kocsis
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 28, 2012
                    At 10/27/2012 05:58 AM, John wrote:
                    >One doesn't know how many tabs are open or what order they are in.

                    Not quite true - ^$GetDocCount$ will tell you how many tabs are open
                    but, like Flo, I think the only way to control he order is to save, sort and
                    reload the tab docs from a file.

                    Art