attrib -N?

  • C
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 25, 2012
      Friends,

      I am asking you help because I am convinced that this are a NTP (or one of my scripts) problem.

      I writed a more or less 1000 lines script.

      Running this script and considering one only directory with this problem (e:\news\), if I open a file and modify something, and the script try to save, always I receive a message like that:

      "Impossible to save, because the file is Read only".

      If I examine the file, really he is marked Read only.

      If I try to change using the Windows atrrib, he change to the -N attribute. I tried to change or delete this -N, but the Windows do not changed.

      Finally, to test I created other small clip, opening the same file, doing a small change, and saving, and this was accepted by the NTP. And in the same directory e:\news\, same Library, same NTP.

      Will be the directory? STo test I changed the 1000 lines clip to other directory, and received the same negative message.

      Therefore:

      1. Apparently, is not a file problem
      2. Apparently, is not a directory problem
      3. Apparently, is not a NTP problem, because I used with success the same Library to run a small crip to test.

      Apears to me that are a code problem.

      Of course, I do not go to ask my friends how to fix this problem. My question is:

      Any friend know anything about this specific problem?

      Thanks,
      JC
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 25, 2012
        C wrote:
        > If I examine the file, really he is marked Read only.

        Where? In the editor or on the disk as shown by Windows?
      • C
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 25, 2012

          > C wrote:
          > > If I examine the file, really he is marked Read only.
          >
          > Where? In the editor or on the disk as shown by Windows?

          Thanks, Axel.

          In both. And also running the DOS attrib.

          And using OTHER (o:\) disk and using the SAME clip, the same problem appears. he do not save because the file are Read only.

          But using a test clip to do the same operation

          "open, change something, save"

          the NTP accept, using the same NTP Library, same disc (e:\news\).

          Thanks.
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 25, 2012
            C wrote:
            > In both. And also running the DOS attrib.
            >
            > But using a test clip to do the same operation
            > "open, change something, save"
            > the NTP accept, using the same NTP Library, same disc (e:\news\).

            In that case I don't understand. If a file is protected on disk, NT will
            only open it read-only and refuse to change and/or save it (under the
            same name - save-as will make the new file editable).

            So either you have not tested under the same conditions or your long
            clip somehow and somewhere sets the read-only condition. To be quite
            sure you can step through it with "^!SetDebug On" or with many
            "^!Continue" every dozen lines or so and look at the file settings in
            another window. If NT does set read-only (I doubt it), you'll find out
            where.

            Axel
          • C
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 25, 2012
              Dear Axel, thanks.

              Appears as a virus, I go to find and delete. I hope.

              But for the moment, I tested and is working:

              Open a file nyoriginalname.htm (the file always are Read-Only, do not matter the Directory or disk - NTP always show as read-only), make the changes you want, in the moment to save rename to:

              nyoriginalname-uuu.htm

              like that

              Open c:\original file.htm
              ; after all replaces, do that:
              ^!Set %txt%=^$GetText$
              Close the original file,discard

              TexttoFile c:\nyoriginalname-uuu.htm ^%txt%

              Of course, this work, and I will have time to search for the virus.

              Any sugestion? And I do not find any note in the Web, about this new kind of virus.

              Best regards,
              JC.

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "C" <backup2abet@...> wrote:

              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@> wrote:
              > >
              > > C wrote:
              > > > If I examine the file, really he is marked Read only.
              > >
              > > Where? In the editor or on the disk as shown by Windows?
              > >

              > Thanks, Axel.
              >
              > In both. And also running the DOS attrib.
              >
              > And using OTHER (o:\) disk and using the SAME clip, the same problem appears. he do not save because the file are Read only.
              >
              > But using a test clip to do the same operation
              >
              > "open, change something, save"
              >
              > the NTP accept, using the same NTP Library, same disc (e:\news\).
              >
              > Thanks.

            • flo.gehrke
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 25, 2012
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "C" <backup2abet@...> wrote:

                > Friends,
                >
                > I am asking you help because I am convinced that this are a NTP (or one of my scripts) problem.
                >
                > I writed a more or less 1000 lines script.
                >
                > Running this script and considering one only directory with this problem (e:\news\), if I open a file and modify something, and the script try to save, always I receive a message like that:
                >
                > "Impossible to save, because the file is Read only".
                >
                > If I examine the file, really he is marked Read only...

                This reminds me of a discussion about 'read only' files we had in Oct 2010, see...

                Maybe you could find any helpful hint in those messages.

                Regards,
                Flo