Re: [Clip] Help creating a NoteTab variable from a text file

  • Ian NTnerd
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2012
      John,

      On NTP 6.2 the following works for me.
      ^$StrReplace("^p";"|";"^$GetFileText("c:\path\file.txt")$";Yes;Yes)$

      Is that what you want?

      Ian

      On 1/10/2012 6:12 AM, John Shotsky wrote:

      > I have several text files with lists of items in them. Each item in
      > each list exists on one line, with no blank lines or
      > comment lines included. There may be one or more words.
      > I currently use a loop to process through files looking for these
      > phrases, which works for the most part, although I
      > don't have access to \b to control when a word is part of a larger
      > word that should not be changed.
      >
      > So, I would like to read the text file into a memory variable at the
      > beginning of each run of my library, then just use
      > that variable as needed in various places. I need a vertical bar to
      > replace the CR's between each line. I've played
      > around with this a little, but I seem to be missing some basic thing,
      > like knowing how to do replacements within 'get
      > text' strings.
      >
      > I think it should go something like 'get text' from the file, replace
      > CR with | and store to a variable. I don't want to
      > lose the focus of the currently open file during any part of this process.
      >
      > Here's an example list:
      > This
      > The
      > Then
      > Therefore
      > Thence
      >
      > I want a variable named, perhaps '%T_words%', and it should contain
      > "This|The|Then|Therefore|Thence". In fact, I will
      > place a \b before and after each word, but I'll be able to do that
      > when I see how to replace the CR's.
      >
      > Any ideas?
      > Thanks,
      > John

    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2012
        Yes, that is perfect. Thank you!

        ^$StrReplace("^p";"|";"^$GetFileText("c:\path\file.txt")$";Yes;Yes)$

        Is that what you want?

        Ian

        On 1/10/2012 6:12 AM, John Shotsky wrote:

        > I have several text files with lists of items in them. Each item in
        > each list exists on one line, with no blank lines or
        > comment lines included. There may be one or more words.
        > I currently use a loop to process through files looking for these
        > phrases, which works for the most part, although I
        > don't have access to \b to control when a word is part of a larger
        > word that should not be changed.
        >
        > So, I would like to read the text file into a memory variable at the
        > beginning of each run of my library, then just use
        > that variable as needed in various places. I need a vertical bar to
        > replace the CR's between each line. I've played
        > around with this a little, but I seem to be missing some basic thing,
        > like knowing how to do replacements within 'get
        > text' strings.
        >
        > I think it should go something like 'get text' from the file, replace
        > CR with | and store to a variable. I don't want to
        > lose the focus of the currently open file during any part of this process.
        >
        > Here's an example list:
        > This
        > The
        > Then
        > Therefore
        > Thence
        >
        > I want a variable named, perhaps '%T_words%', and it should contain
        > "This|The|Then|Therefore|Thence". In fact, I will
        > place a \b before and after each word, but I'll be able to do that
        > when I see how to replace the CR's.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        > Thanks,
        > John

      • flo.gehrke
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2012
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Ian NTnerd <indiamcq@...> wrote:

          > John,
          >
          > On NTP 6.2 the following works for me.
          > ^$StrReplace("^p";"|";"^$GetFileText("c:\path\file.txt")$";Yes;Yes)$

          Yes, that works fine for me too. And here is something that possibly could do the full job ;-)

          With your sample list saved as johnslist.txt, I get to the desired result with...

          ^!Set %Var%=^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$johnslist.txt)$
          ^!Set %Var%=^$StrReplace("^P";"|";^%Var%;A)$
          ^!Set %Var%=^$StrReplace("^|(?=\|)|(?<=\|)";"\\b";^%Var%;RA)$
          ^!Set %Var%=^$StrReplace("\|\\b\Z";"";^%Var%;R)$
          ^!Info ^%Var%

          (designed for Ntb 7.0)

          Regards,
          Flo
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2012
            Yes, that is even perfecter! :-)
            Thanks!

            > ^$StrReplace("^p";"|";"^$GetFileText("c:\path\file.txt")$";Yes;Yes)$

            Yes, that works fine for me too. And here is something that possibly could do the full job ;-)

            With your sample list saved as johnslist.txt, I get to the desired result with...

            ^!Set %Var%=^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$johnslist.txt)$
            ^!Set %Var%=^$StrReplace("^P";"|";^%Var%;A)$
            ^!Set %Var%=^$StrReplace("^|(?=\|)|(?<=\|)";"\\b <file:///\\b> ";^%Var%;RA)$
            ^!Set %Var%=^$StrReplace("\|\\b\Z";"";^%Var%;R)$
            ^!Info ^%Var%

            (designed for Ntb 7.0)

            Regards,
            Flo