Re: [Clip] Ideas for making clips more portable

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 25, 2012
      At 9/24/2012 05:00 PM, you wrote:
      >So now my question. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to
      >identify hard-coded paths in Clips? Since Clipcode evaluates itself, I
      >think this might not work so well as an all Clipcode solution. I was
      >thinking of using grep and looking for drive letters I have used over the
      >years. I know certain drive letters will be network paths that will be the
      >same no matter what computer I use, so I can avoid those. I want to make
      >my clips as portable as possible, so it is harder for me to create time
      >wasting problems.

      A couple of possible ways to make your clips more portable would be to
      parameterize system and resource locations and then use these references in
      your clips. You can create and use custom Windows environment variables
      and/or custom NTB ini section/variables to define drives, folders, etc.

      NTB has built-in commands for reading & writing to custom named/standard
      ini files as well as commands to read & write custom keys/values to the
      registry. It directly supports using Windows standard environment
      variables. Similarly, you have full read/write access to NTB's
      default/current/custom INI files.

      Where resource locations need to be customized for a specific
      system/installation, write a simple clip with a wizard to collect and
      stores the various locations. This would only need to be done once per
      installation. Then have your clips refer to this DB for their resources.

      Obviously, these setups can be global, user specific or app specific. Also,
      obviously, it means a lot of rewriting and editing of current clips but,
      once done, makes any future moves quite easy.

      Art