unzipping a file, then more

  • Dean Martineau
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 15, 2012
      I want to try to create a clip that will take a zip file, unzip it to a
      folder, open the contained file ending in xml, strip tags from that file,
      delete some text, and save to a specific location as text.

      Most of this I think I can puzzle out, but not the first part. Usually on my
      win7 system I can use Expand All from the context menu to unzip the file
      into a folder based on its name, and its name will also be the name of the
      file I want to open, but I can't see now to perform that function with the
      clip function.

      Look forward to any ideas.

      Dean
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 16, 2012
        I do that all the time, using the command line version of 7zip, which is 7za. Download it here:
        http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
        Look for the command line version. It doesn't need an install, it just goes to a 'home' folder that all my clips know
        about. You could put it into Windows path, if you wanted it available all the time.
        Then, in NoteTab, you'll write a command to do your bidding.

        My command line looks like:
        ^!Dos ^%7za% e "^%EbookPath%^%DestFile%" -o"^%DebugPath%" -aoa
        ^!Wait
        The wait is needed to let it finish what can be a slow process depending on the size of the file. I set the variables up
        ahead of time for the working folder, etc. The above command gives me the result that I need. I use it for unzipping
        Epub Ebooks, so I can get the html into NoteTab. You could just as easily grab xml, and do whatever you want to it.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 16, 2012
          What John said. There is no command line interface built into Windows to do
          that.
          I looked into it for work.
          You could use the commands to compress into cab files and then extract from
          the cabfiles.
          Otherwise you need some other program with a command line option.

          Larry
          On Sep 16, 2012 9:07 AM, "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...> wrote:

          > I do that all the time, using the command line version of 7zip, which is
          > 7za. Download it here:
          > http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
          > Look for the command line version. It doesn't need an install, it just
          > goes to a 'home' folder that all my clips know
          > about. You could put it into Windows path, if you wanted it available all
          > the time.
          > Then, in NoteTab, you'll write a command to do your bidding.
          >
          > My command line looks like:
          > ^!Dos ^%7za% e "^%EbookPath%^%DestFile%" -o"^%DebugPath%" -aoa
          > ^!Wait
          > The wait is needed to let it finish what can be a slow process depending
          > on the size of the file. I set the variables up
          > ahead of time for the working folder, etc. The above command gives me the
          > result that I need. I use it for unzipping
          > Epub Ebooks, so I can get the html into NoteTab. You could just as easily
          > grab xml, and do whatever you want to it.
          >
          > Regards,
          > John
          > RecipeTools Web Site: <http://recipetools.gotdns.com/>
          > http://recipetools.gotdns.com/

        • loro
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 17, 2012
            Dean wrote:
            >I want to try to create a clip that will take a zip file, unzip it to a
            >folder, open the contained file ending in xml, strip tags from that file,
            >delete some text, and save to a specific location as text.

            >Most of this I think I can puzzle out, but not the first part

            I haven't tried this set of small programs myself yet, but they are
            intended for just this use and probably worth looking into. I know
            there are other similar programs too, but these are the ones I know
            where to find.
            http://stahlforce.com/dev/index.php?tool=zipunzip

            Lotta