Re: [Clip] How to Open a web-page .txt file in NoteTab

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
      John Shotsky wrote:
      > There are no really easy ways around this on the browser side
      > without javascript, php, etc.

      Wrong. What you need to do is add the following to your .htaccess (or
      create one in the first place):

      AddType application/octet-stream csv

      or

      <FilesMatch "\.(pdf|mp3)$">
      Header add Content-Disposition "Attachment"
      </FilesMatch>

      Of course with "txt" in palce of my csv, pdf, and mp3. The first
      enforces download as the ony<l option, the second prevents opening in
      the browser and forces (download or) opening in the native appliction,
      in your case an editor.

      For more info see:

      http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess9.shtml

      Axel
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
        .htacess only works for Apache, and I'm not using that.

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
          I found a solution that works great. It is a single executable named 'download.exe' which is executed via a %!ShellWait
          command, and it does the trick just fine, even including overwriting the original. No install needed, no Windows rights
          issues. This will become a permanent part of the RecipeClips system.

          Here's the command: (It changes to the target folder ahead of this)
          ^!Shellwait ^%Command% http://recipetools.gotdns.com/files/commas.txt /overwrite

          Here's the location of this little gem:
          http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc#download

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
            John Shotsky wrote:
            > .htacess only works for Apache, and I'm not using that.

            About 90 % or so of all rentable webspace does, which is why I just
            assumned it without specifying that proviso. I should have, of course.

            Axel
          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
              At 9/5/2012 12:52 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
              >I found a solution that works great. It is a single executable named
              >'download.exe' which is executed via a %!ShellWait command, and it does
              >the trick just fine, even including overwriting the original. No install
              >needed, no Windows rights issues. This will become a permanent part of the
              >RecipeClips system.
              >
              >Here's the command: (It changes to the target folder ahead of this)
              >^!Shellwait ^%Command% http://recipetools.gotdns.com/files/commas.txt
              >/overwrite
              >
              >Here's the location of this little gem:
              >http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc#download
              >
              >John Shotsky wrote:
              > > There are no really easy ways around this on the browser side
              > > without javascript, php, etc.

              Perhaps you had a direct link to an old offering. All I see at your URL is
              the $15 "File Downloader" - no 'download.exe'. However, the site has a
              bunch of utils that look interesting. Unfortunately, all the good ones seem
              to be paidware.

              In any case, there are lots of freeware file download apps available. Here
              is a comparison chart for nine of them (curl, snarf, wget, pavuk, fget,
              fetch, lftp, aria2 and HTTrack): http://curl.haxx.se/docs/comparison-table.html

              Two that I have tried are cURL and WGet

              cURL: http://curl.haxx.se/ [Home]
              http://curl.haxx.se/docs/manpage.html [Syntax]

              From the cURL home page:

              "curl is a command line tool for transferring data with URL
              syntax, supporting DICT, FILE, FTP, FTPS, Gopher, HTTP, HTTPS,
              IMAP, IMAPS, LDAP, LDAPS, POP3, POP3S, RTMP, RTSP, SCP, SFTP,
              SMTP, SMTPS, Telnet and TFTP. curl supports SSL certificates,
              HTTP POST, HTTP PUT, FTP uploading, HTTP form based upload,
              proxies, cookies, user+password authentication (Basic, Digest,
              NTLM, Negotiate, kerberos...), file transfer resume, proxy
              tunneling and a busload of other useful tricks."

              The most recent stable version of curl is version 7.27.0,
              released on July 27, 2012.

              cURL has an extensive [huge!!!] set of options for both input and output. I
              used it to directly load web files into NTB for further clip processing. It
              was quick and simple.

              ^!Toolbar New Document
              ^$GetOutput("^%curlPath%curl.exe ^%webURL%")$

              To get a web file and store in a local file with a specific name:

              ^!ShellWait "^%curlPath%curl" "^%webURL%" -o "^%localName%"
              [Note: not tested, stores file in current local directory]

              =================
              WGet: http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/ [Home]
              http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm [Windows DLs]

              "GNU Wget is a free network utility to retrieve files from
              the World Wide Web using HTTP and FTP, the two most widely
              used Internet protocols. It works non-interactively, thus
              enabling work in the background, after having logged off.

              The recursive retrieval of HTML pages, as well as FTP sites
              is supported -- you can use Wget to make mirrors of archives
              and home pages, or traverse the web like a WWW robot (Wget
              understands /robots.txt).

              Wget works exceedingly well on slow or unstable connections,
              keeping getting the document until it is fully retrieved.
              Re-getting files from where it left off works on servers
              (both HTTP and FTP) that support it. Matching of wildcards
              and recursive mirroring of directories are available when
              retrieving via FTP. Both HTTP and FTP retrievals can be
              time-stamped, thus Wget can see if the remote file has
              changed since last retrieval and automatically retrieve
              the new version if it has."

              The most recent Windows version of WGet is version 1.11.4
              released on Dec 31, 2008.

              I can't remember why I chose cURL over WGet and have no usage info.

              Art
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
                Thanks for the info. I had looked into many of these, and was in need of a single executable that doesn't need
                installation. The free version of download.zip for Windows is fine for my needs. I also have HttTrack on my machine when
                I want to get whole web sites, but this is single use � I know the url, the file names, and where they go, so I can just
                issue a command to get er done.

                At 9/5/2012 12:52 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
                >I found a solution that works great. It is a single executable named
                >'download.exe' which is executed via a %!ShellWait command, and it does
                >the trick just fine, even including overwriting the original. No install
                >needed, no Windows rights issues. This will become a permanent part of the
                >RecipeClips system.
                >
                >Here's the command: (It changes to the target folder ahead of this)
                >^!Shellwait ^%Command% http://recipetools.gotdns.com/files/commas.txt
                >/overwrite
                >
                >Here's the location of this little gem:
                >http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc#download
                >
                >John Shotsky wrote:
                > > There are no really easy ways around this on the browser side
                > > without javascript, php, etc.

                Perhaps you had a direct link to an old offering. All I see at your URL is
                the $15 "File Downloader" - no 'download.exe'. However, the site has a
                bunch of utils that look interesting. Unfortunately, all the good ones seem
                to be paidware.

                In any case, there are lots of freeware file download apps available. Here
                is a comparison chart for nine of them (curl, snarf, wget, pavuk, fget,
                fetch, lftp, aria2 and HTTrack): http://curl.haxx.se/docs/comparison-table.html

                Two that I have tried are cURL and WGet

                cURL: http://curl.haxx.se/ [Home]
                http://curl.haxx.se/docs/manpage.html [Syntax]

                From the cURL home page:

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
                  I can't say what your download.exe does as your link for it didn't work and
                  you didn't post a new one.

                  As far as your requirements, that is what cURL does. The DL zip file
                  includes a PDF manual and library DLLs to use if you want to write your own
                  application. But cURL itself is a stand alone app - extract the cURL.exe
                  and run it. The exe even includes a built-in help to list all its options.
                  At 2.5 MB, cURL may be larger than download.exe. Since I don't have it I
                  can't compare. I am curious though, and would take a look at it if you post
                  a good link.

                  Art

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 6, 2012
                    Sorry, Art, forgot the link <http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc#download> ..

                    I can't say what your download.exe does as your link for it didn't work and
                    you didn't post a new one.

                    As far as your requirements, that is what cURL does. The DL zip file
                    includes a PDF manual and library DLLs to use if you want to write your own
                    application. But cURL itself is a stand alone app - extract the cURL.exe
                    and run it. The exe even includes a built-in help to list all its options.
                    At 2.5 MB, cURL may be larger than download.exe. Since I don't have it I
                    can't compare. I am curious though, and would take a look at it if you post
                    a good link.

                    Art

                    At 9/5/2012 03:49 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
                    >Thanks for the info. I had looked into many of these, and was in need of a
                    >single executable that doesn't need installation. The free version of
                    >download.zip for Windows is fine for my needs. I also have HttTrack on my
                    >machine when I want to get whole web sites, but this is single use � I
                    >know the url, the file names, and where they go, so I can just issue a
                    >command to get er done.
                    >
                    >At 9/5/2012 12:52 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
                    > >I found a solution that works great. It is a single executable named
                    > >'download.exe' which is executed via a %!ShellWait command, and it does
                    > >the trick just fine, even including overwriting the original. No install
                    > >needed, no Windows rights issues. This will become a permanent part of the
                    > >RecipeClips system.
                    > >
                    > >Here's the location of this little gem:
                    > >http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc#download
                    >
                    >Perhaps you had a direct link to an old offering. All I see at your URL is
                    >the $15 "File Downloader" - no 'download.exe'.

                  • readingril
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 6, 2012
                      I've used graburl to do this for years if it hasn't already been mentioned. I don't even remember where I got it, but the first thing I do with any new installation of Notetab is put the exe in the Notetab folder.

                      I just looked... the executable is 12 years old!