How to Open a web-page .txt file in NoteTab

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
      I have a web page which has some text files that my users regularly need to download as they are updated. Because they
      are text files, they open in the browser instead of simply downloading. Then, the user must select all, copy, paste into
      NoteTab, and save where needed. There are no really easy ways around this on the browser side without javascript, php,
      etc.

      I would like to bypass most of that, because I know the URL, and I know where the file is supposed to go. What I'd like
      to do is create a set of commands that would directly open the file in NoteTab, then save as, over the top of the
      existing file with the same name. The only part I don't know how to do is get the file into NoteTab using the command
      line only, or by using a clip. Anyone have any ideas? The point is to not expose the browser if not necessary.
      Here's the url of one of those files
      http://recipetools.gotdns.com/files/commas.txt

      Failing that, I may just rename them on the web site firsts, then use NoteTab to rename them when downloaded, so they
      won't open in the browser. But even that forces the user to choose where to save the file, which is a step I want to
      avoid. It needs to be able to work with IE, since that's the only browser I can be sure they have. FTP works for some
      folks, but some have routers and don't want to have to port forward to support FTP. I also want to avoid forcing my
      users to install a client of some kind on their computers.
      Thanks!

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
        John Shotsky wrote:
        > There are no really easy ways around this on the browser side
        > without javascript, php, etc.

        Wrong. What you need to do is add the following to your .htaccess (or
        create one in the first place):

        AddType application/octet-stream csv

        or

        <FilesMatch "\.(pdf|mp3)$">
        Header add Content-Disposition "Attachment"
        </FilesMatch>

        Of course with "txt" in palce of my csv, pdf, and mp3. The first
        enforces download as the ony<l option, the second prevents opening in
        the browser and forces (download or) opening in the native appliction,
        in your case an editor.

        For more info see:

        http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess9.shtml

        Axel
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
          .htacess only works for Apache, and I'm not using that.

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
            I found a solution that works great. It is a single executable named 'download.exe' which is executed via a %!ShellWait
            command, and it does the trick just fine, even including overwriting the original. No install needed, no Windows rights
            issues. This will become a permanent part of the RecipeClips system.

            Here's the command: (It changes to the target folder ahead of this)
            ^!Shellwait ^%Command% http://recipetools.gotdns.com/files/commas.txt /overwrite

            Here's the location of this little gem:
            http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc#download

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
              John Shotsky wrote:
              > .htacess only works for Apache, and I'm not using that.

              About 90 % or so of all rentable webspace does, which is why I just
              assumned it without specifying that proviso. I should have, of course.

              Axel
            • Art Kocsis
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
                At 9/5/2012 12:52 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
                >I found a solution that works great. It is a single executable named
                >'download.exe' which is executed via a %!ShellWait command, and it does
                >the trick just fine, even including overwriting the original. No install
                >needed, no Windows rights issues. This will become a permanent part of the
                >RecipeClips system.
                >
                >Here's the command: (It changes to the target folder ahead of this)
                >^!Shellwait ^%Command% http://recipetools.gotdns.com/files/commas.txt
                >/overwrite
                >
                >Here's the location of this little gem:
                >http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc#download
                >
                >John Shotsky wrote:
                > > There are no really easy ways around this on the browser side
                > > without javascript, php, etc.

                Perhaps you had a direct link to an old offering. All I see at your URL is
                the $15 "File Downloader" - no 'download.exe'. However, the site has a
                bunch of utils that look interesting. Unfortunately, all the good ones seem
                to be paidware.

                In any case, there are lots of freeware file download apps available. Here
                is a comparison chart for nine of them (curl, snarf, wget, pavuk, fget,
                fetch, lftp, aria2 and HTTrack): http://curl.haxx.se/docs/comparison-table.html

                Two that I have tried are cURL and WGet

                cURL: http://curl.haxx.se/ [Home]
                http://curl.haxx.se/docs/manpage.html [Syntax]

                From the cURL home page:

                "curl is a command line tool for transferring data with URL
                syntax, supporting DICT, FILE, FTP, FTPS, Gopher, HTTP, HTTPS,
                IMAP, IMAPS, LDAP, LDAPS, POP3, POP3S, RTMP, RTSP, SCP, SFTP,
                SMTP, SMTPS, Telnet and TFTP. curl supports SSL certificates,
                HTTP POST, HTTP PUT, FTP uploading, HTTP form based upload,
                proxies, cookies, user+password authentication (Basic, Digest,
                NTLM, Negotiate, kerberos...), file transfer resume, proxy
                tunneling and a busload of other useful tricks."

                The most recent stable version of curl is version 7.27.0,
                released on July 27, 2012.

                cURL has an extensive [huge!!!] set of options for both input and output. I
                used it to directly load web files into NTB for further clip processing. It
                was quick and simple.

                ^!Toolbar New Document
                ^$GetOutput("^%curlPath%curl.exe ^%webURL%")$

                To get a web file and store in a local file with a specific name:

                ^!ShellWait "^%curlPath%curl" "^%webURL%" -o "^%localName%"
                [Note: not tested, stores file in current local directory]

                =================
                WGet: http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/ [Home]
                http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm [Windows DLs]

                "GNU Wget is a free network utility to retrieve files from
                the World Wide Web using HTTP and FTP, the two most widely
                used Internet protocols. It works non-interactively, thus
                enabling work in the background, after having logged off.

                The recursive retrieval of HTML pages, as well as FTP sites
                is supported -- you can use Wget to make mirrors of archives
                and home pages, or traverse the web like a WWW robot (Wget
                understands /robots.txt).

                Wget works exceedingly well on slow or unstable connections,
                keeping getting the document until it is fully retrieved.
                Re-getting files from where it left off works on servers
                (both HTTP and FTP) that support it. Matching of wildcards
                and recursive mirroring of directories are available when
                retrieving via FTP. Both HTTP and FTP retrievals can be
                time-stamped, thus Wget can see if the remote file has
                changed since last retrieval and automatically retrieve
                the new version if it has."

                The most recent Windows version of WGet is version 1.11.4
                released on Dec 31, 2008.

                I can't remember why I chose cURL over WGet and have no usage info.

                Art
              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
                  Thanks for the info. I had looked into many of these, and was in need of a single executable that doesn't need
                  installation. The free version of download.zip for Windows is fine for my needs. I also have HttTrack on my machine when
                  I want to get whole web sites, but this is single use � I know the url, the file names, and where they go, so I can just
                  issue a command to get er done.

                  At 9/5/2012 12:52 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
                  >I found a solution that works great. It is a single executable named
                  >'download.exe' which is executed via a %!ShellWait command, and it does
                  >the trick just fine, even including overwriting the original. No install
                  >needed, no Windows rights issues. This will become a permanent part of the
                  >RecipeClips system.
                  >
                  >Here's the command: (It changes to the target folder ahead of this)
                  >^!Shellwait ^%Command% http://recipetools.gotdns.com/files/commas.txt
                  >/overwrite
                  >
                  >Here's the location of this little gem:
                  >http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc#download
                  >
                  >John Shotsky wrote:
                  > > There are no really easy ways around this on the browser side
                  > > without javascript, php, etc.

                  Perhaps you had a direct link to an old offering. All I see at your URL is
                  the $15 "File Downloader" - no 'download.exe'. However, the site has a
                  bunch of utils that look interesting. Unfortunately, all the good ones seem
                  to be paidware.

                  In any case, there are lots of freeware file download apps available. Here
                  is a comparison chart for nine of them (curl, snarf, wget, pavuk, fget,
                  fetch, lftp, aria2 and HTTrack): http://curl.haxx.se/docs/comparison-table.html

                  Two that I have tried are cURL and WGet

                  cURL: http://curl.haxx.se/ [Home]
                  http://curl.haxx.se/docs/manpage.html [Syntax]

                  From the cURL home page:

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
                    I can't say what your download.exe does as your link for it didn't work and
                    you didn't post a new one.

                    As far as your requirements, that is what cURL does. The DL zip file
                    includes a PDF manual and library DLLs to use if you want to write your own
                    application. But cURL itself is a stand alone app - extract the cURL.exe
                    and run it. The exe even includes a built-in help to list all its options.
                    At 2.5 MB, cURL may be larger than download.exe. Since I don't have it I
                    can't compare. I am curious though, and would take a look at it if you post
                    a good link.

                    Art

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 6, 2012
                      Sorry, Art, forgot the link <http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc#download> ..

                      I can't say what your download.exe does as your link for it didn't work and
                      you didn't post a new one.

                      As far as your requirements, that is what cURL does. The DL zip file
                      includes a PDF manual and library DLLs to use if you want to write your own
                      application. But cURL itself is a stand alone app - extract the cURL.exe
                      and run it. The exe even includes a built-in help to list all its options.
                      At 2.5 MB, cURL may be larger than download.exe. Since I don't have it I
                      can't compare. I am curious though, and would take a look at it if you post
                      a good link.

                      Art

                      At 9/5/2012 03:49 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
                      >Thanks for the info. I had looked into many of these, and was in need of a
                      >single executable that doesn't need installation. The free version of
                      >download.zip for Windows is fine for my needs. I also have HttTrack on my
                      >machine when I want to get whole web sites, but this is single use � I
                      >know the url, the file names, and where they go, so I can just issue a
                      >command to get er done.
                      >
                      >At 9/5/2012 12:52 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
                      > >I found a solution that works great. It is a single executable named
                      > >'download.exe' which is executed via a %!ShellWait command, and it does
                      > >the trick just fine, even including overwriting the original. No install
                      > >needed, no Windows rights issues. This will become a permanent part of the
                      > >RecipeClips system.
                      > >
                      > >Here's the location of this little gem:
                      > >http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc#download
                      >
                      >Perhaps you had a direct link to an old offering. All I see at your URL is
                      >the $15 "File Downloader" - no 'download.exe'.

                    • readingril
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 6, 2012
                        I've used graburl to do this for years if it hasn't already been mentioned. I don't even remember where I got it, but the first thing I do with any new installation of Notetab is put the exe in the Notetab folder.

                        I just looked... the executable is 12 years old!