Convert static endnotes to inline notes

  • querulus
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 4, 2012

      What I'd like to do is this: cut the note from the bottom of the file and insert it inline following the note reference. Ultimately I don't need to retain the note numbers themselves, either as references or at the beginning of the notes, so if that makes the task easier, all the better.

      My thought was this: search for each note reference in text. When I find one, set a marker there? set the number as a variable? Then jump to the corresponding note, select the entire note (again, because a note can be multiple paragraphs I'd have to search to the beginning of the next numbered paragraph). Cut the note paragraphs from their location (retaining any internal paragraph breaks), jump back to the note reference, and paste the note. Then jump to the next reference and repeat the process. As I say, because I don't need to retain the numbers, if it would help to strip out each note reference as I insert the corresponding note, that would be fine.

      Some other thoughts: The inline notes will eventually need some other wrapper than <notetext>, but that's easy enough to do. It's fair to assume that no note paragraph begins with any digit apart from a note number itself (or our editors haven't done their jobs well). Because the notes are currently in separate files, it would be nice to be able to retrieve them directly from there, even if it meant having just two files open at once (or it would be nice to automate appending the second file to the first -- the names of the files will always match consistently like AB01.TXT and AB01NTS.TXT). It might also be nice to have a test to confirm that the number of references matches the number of numbered notes -- and that both sequences are in numerical order with no gaps. But all of that is secondary to the task of pulling the notes inline at the point of the reference.

      I think I know the outlines of a general procedure, but even after reading through all the NT Clip help and reviewing the group postings back to 2009, I'm not sure exactly how to start. And I'm not even sure it's doable. So thanks in advance for any help you can provide in steering me in the right direction.

      Klaas
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 4, 2012
        It is doable. Assuming all is in one file, I would start by placing a tag on each numbered paragraph at the bottom which
        would never occur in any of your text. I use � fairly often, as it never occurs in my text. Then, using the (s?) switch,
        you would replace your original paragraph number with the content of the section that starts with �, contains the same
        number, and NOT a � following, which will gather however many paragraphs are between numbered paragraphs. A 'find'
        would not be necessary, it would be a straight replace, with a loop to repeat until no replacments are made.

        I think it should take about 3 lines of code. One to set the character, one to do the replaces, and one to loop.
        If you need more information, let us know.

        I've got a large number of text files coded for typesetting with inline references for notes and the notes themselves
        gathered at the end of the file. (Actually, the notes are currently in separate files, but for the purposes of this
        exercise I'll import them at the end of the corresponding text.) Each note reference is marked something like
        <noteref>123</noteref>. Each corresponding note, which may be multiple paragraphs, is similary coded -- say,
        <notetext>123. . . . </notetext>. Subsequent paragraphs within the same note are coded the same way, but they don't
        begin with a note number.

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 4, 2012
          John Shotsky wrote:
          > I would start

          Another take. First I dislike your Format. If notes can contain
          paragraphs, then make it explicit:

          <notetext>123<P>some text</P><P>more text</P></notetext>

          Also you say "insert it inline" which jars with "several paragraphs". So
          perhaps you need to differentiate between inline and paragraph notes.

          Given that I'd do it this way:

          Search from the top for the first notetext.
          Exit if none is found
          Save it to a variable and delete in the text.
          Delete the start and end tags in the variable
          Search from the top for the corresponding noteref.
          Throw an error if not found.
          Delete tags as necessary and Insert variable, inline or as paragraphs as
          needed.
          Loop to the top

          That's atr least twelve lines against John's three, but I see that
          number as wildly optimistic.

          Axel
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 4, 2012
            Is that a challenge?

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 4, 2012
              Here is my test file:
              <start>
              <noteref>123</noteref>
              <middle>
              This is the intervening text between the two notes.
              <noteref>124</noteref>
              <end>

              <notetext>123This is the first note.
              My thought was this: search for each note reference in text. When I find one, set a marker there, set the number as a
              variable, Then jump to the corresponding note, select the entire note (again, because a note can be multiple paragraphs
              I'd have to search to the beginning of the next numbered paragraph).

              Cut the note paragraphs from their location (retaining any internal paragraph breaks), jump back to the note reference,
              and paste the note. Then jump to the next reference and repeat the process. As I say, because I don't need to retain the
              numbers, if it would help to strip out each note reference as I insert the corresponding note, that would be
              fine.</notetext>
              <notetext>124This is the second note.
              My thought was this: search for each note reference in text. When I find one, set a marker there? set the number as a
              variable? Then jump to the corresponding note, select the entire note (again, because a note can be multiple paragraphs
              I'd have to search to the beginning of the next numbered paragraph).

              Cut the note paragraphs from their location (retaining any internal paragraph breaks), jump back to the note reference,
              and paste the note. Then jump to the next reference and repeat the process. As I say, because I don't need to retain the
              numbers, if it would help to strip out each note reference as I insert the corresponding note, that would be
              fine.</notetext>

              Here is the code:
              ;===
              ^!Replace "<notetext>(?=\d+)" >> "«" ARSW
              ^!Replace "(?s)<noteref>(\d+)</noteref>([^«]+)«\1([^«]+)<\/notetext>" >> "\r\n$3\r\n\r\n$2" ARSW
              ^!IfError Next Else Skip_-1
              ;===
              Enjoy!

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 4, 2012
                We did a bible verses thing much like this not too long ago (as in the
                last five years ...)

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 4, 2012
                  John Shotsky wrote:
                  > Is that a challenge?

                  Absolutely not, just an opinion. I tend to write more lines than
                  necessary to make the code as simple, legigble and maintainable as
                  possible.

                  Since I've done similar tasks before my rough sketch may hopefully be of
                  a little help to someone not quite sure yet where to begin.

                  Axel
                • Don
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 4, 2012
                    Or maybe it was footnotes?

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 4, 2012
                      John Shotsky wrote:
                      > Here is the code:

                      Three lines! Well done, this is really short compared to my clumsy
                      effort.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 4, 2012
                        Don wrote:
                        > Or maybe it was footnotes?

                        Yes, I remember. I never used that solution becaus as far as I could see
                        it could only run once and was not amenable to later additions or
                        deletions. What I now use is a simple renumber that requires the
                        footnotes to be in the right order, something not hard to ensure.

                        Going back to the matter at hand:
                        querulus mentioned the notes being in separate files. If those noteref
                        contain not arbitrary numbers but the file names (or if the files are
                        named by those numbers like "123.txt") the task becomes even easier.

                        Axel
                      • Dave
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 5, 2012
                          Hi
                          ever thought of trying the otl format with you markers down the left side
                          [whatever] with an equivalent marker in text [whatever] ,double or single
                          click and your where your maker is making sure no two are the same.
                          THANKYOU DAVE M

                          > I've got a large number of text files coded for typesetting with inline
                          > references for notes and the notes themselves gathered at the end of the
                          > file. (Actually, the notes are currently in separate files, but for the
                          > purposes of this exercise I'll import them at the end of the corresponding
                          > text.) Each note reference is marked something like
                          > <noteref>123</noteref>. Each corresponding note, which may be multiple
                          > paragraphs, is similary coded -- say, <notetext>123. . . . </notetext>.
                          > Subsequent paragraphs within the same note are coded the same way, but
                          > they don't begin with a note number.
                          >
                          > What I'd like to do is this: cut the note from the bottom of the file and
                          > insert it inline following the note reference. Ultimately I don't need to
                          > retain the note numbers themselves, either as references or at the
                          > beginning of the notes, so if that makes the task easier, all the better.
                          >
                          > My thought was this: search for each note reference in text. When I find
                          > one, set a marker there? set the number as a variable? Then jump to the
                          > corresponding note, select the entire note (again, because a note can be
                          > multiple paragraphs I'd have to search to the beginning of the next
                          > numbered paragraph). Cut the note paragraphs from their location
                          > (retaining any internal paragraph breaks), jump back to the note
                          > reference, and paste the note. Then jump to the next reference and repeat
                          > the process. As I say, because I don't need to retain the numbers, if it
                          > would help to strip out each note reference as I insert the corresponding
                          > note, that would be fine.
                          >
                          > Some other thoughts: The inline notes will eventually need some other
                          > wrapper than <notetext>, but that's easy enough to do. It's fair to assume
                          > that no note paragraph begins with any digit apart from a note number
                          > itself (or our editors haven't done their jobs well). Because the notes
                          > are currently in separate files, it would be nice to be able to retrieve
                          > them directly from there, even if it meant having just two files open at
                          > once (or it would be nice to automate appending the second file to the
                          > first -- the names of the files will always match consistently like
                          > AB01.TXT and AB01NTS.TXT). It might also be nice to have a test to confirm
                          > that the number of references matches the number of numbered notes -- and
                          > that both sequences are in numerical order with no gaps. But all of that
                          > is secondary to the task of pulling the notes inline at the point of the
                          > reference.
                          >
                          > I think I know the outlines of a general procedure, but even after reading
                          > through all the NT Clip help and reviewing the group postings back to
                          > 2009, I'm not sure exactly how to start. And I'm not even sure it's
                          > doable. So thanks in advance for any help you can provide in steering me
                          > in the right direction.
                          >
                          > Klaas

                        • querulus
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 5, 2012
                            The idea of multiparagraph inline notes jarred me as well. As it happens, the target application is InDesign, and to determine the proper import format, I created a multiparagraph note within InDesign and exported the text as Tagged Text. I didn't expect to see a full CRLF in between note paragraphs within the parent text paragraph, but that's what Adobe does. I take your point that it may be valuable to enclose each note, no matter how many paragraphs, in a wrapper to designate note start and end.

                            Thanks for your help. I'll try to review all the suggestions in the next few days.

                            Klaas

                            > John Shotsky wrote:
                            > > I would start
                            >
                            > Another take. First I dislike your Format. If notes can contain
                            > paragraphs, then make it explicit:
                            >
                            > <notetext>123<P>some text</P><P>more text</P></notetext>
                            >
                            > Also you say "insert it inline" which jars with "several paragraphs". So
                            > perhaps you need to differentiate between inline and paragraph notes.
                            >
                            > Given that I'd do it this way:
                            >
                            > Search from the top for the first notetext.
                            > Exit if none is found
                            > Save it to a variable and delete in the text.
                            > Delete the start and end tags in the variable
                            > Search from the top for the corresponding noteref.
                            > Throw an error if not found.
                            > Delete tags as necessary and Insert variable, inline or as paragraphs as
                            > needed.
                            > Loop to the top
                            >
                            > That's atr least twelve lines against John's three, but I see that
                            > number as wildly optimistic.
                            >
                            > Axel

                          • querulus
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 5, 2012
                              I did come across the thread started by Adrien Verlee when I was reviewing the archives, but for some reason (at about 1:00 in the morning), it seemed not directly applicable. I should review it once more.

                              Klaas

                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 5, 2012
                                The notes are not each in a separate file, but all the notes for a chapter are gathered together in a single file. I could certainly add the filename of the notes file to the noteref itself, though.

                                Klaas

                                > Don wrote:
                                > > Or maybe it was footnotes?
                                >
                                > Yes, I remember. I never used that solution becaus as far as I could see
                                > it could only run once and was not amenable to later additions or
                                > deletions. What I now use is a simple renumber that requires the
                                > footnotes to be in the right order, something not hard to ensure.
                                >
                                > Going back to the matter at hand:
                                > querulus mentioned the notes being in separate files. If those noteref
                                > contain not arbitrary numbers but the file names (or if the files are
                                > named by those numbers like "123.txt") the task becomes even easier.
                                >
                                > Axel

                              • querulus
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 5, 2012
                                  I will enjoy!

                                  Thanks to all for all your help. This will give me much to work on.

                                  Klaas

                                  > Here is my test file:
                                  > <start>
                                  > <noteref>123</noteref>
                                  > <middle>
                                  > This is the intervening text between the two notes.
                                  > <noteref>124</noteref>
                                  > <end>
                                  >
                                  > <notetext>123This is the first note.
                                  > My thought was this: search for each note reference in text. When I find one, set a marker there, set the number as a
                                  > variable, Then jump to the corresponding note, select the entire note (again, because a note can be multiple paragraphs
                                  > I'd have to search to the beginning of the next numbered paragraph).
                                  >
                                  > Cut the note paragraphs from their location (retaining any internal paragraph breaks), jump back to the note reference,
                                  > and paste the note. Then jump to the next reference and repeat the process. As I say, because I don't need to retain the
                                  > numbers, if it would help to strip out each note reference as I insert the corresponding note, that would be
                                  > fine.</notetext>
                                  > <notetext>124This is the second note.
                                  > My thought was this: search for each note reference in text. When I find one, set a marker there? set the number as a
                                  > variable? Then jump to the corresponding note, select the entire note (again, because a note can be multiple paragraphs
                                  > I'd have to search to the beginning of the next numbered paragraph).
                                  >
                                  > Cut the note paragraphs from their location (retaining any internal paragraph breaks), jump back to the note reference,
                                  > and paste the note. Then jump to the next reference and repeat the process. As I say, because I don't need to retain the
                                  > numbers, if it would help to strip out each note reference as I insert the corresponding note, that would be
                                  > fine.</notetext>
                                  >
                                  > Here is the code:
                                  > ;===
                                  > ^!Replace "<notetext>(?=\d+)" >> "«" ARSW
                                  > ^!Replace "(?s)<noteref>(\d+)</noteref>([^«]+)«\1([^«]+)<\/notetext>" >> "\r\n$3\r\n\r\n$2" ARSW
                                  > ^!IfError Next Else Skip_-1
                                  > ;===
                                  > Enjoy!
                                  > John
                                  > RecipeTools Web Site: http://recipetools.gotdns.com/

                                • querulus
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 7, 2012
                                    After messing up the code several times while adding the InDesign specifics, I've now got it working perfectly. I still don't comprehend exactly _how_ it works, but I'll spend some time on that.

                                    Thanks again.

                                    Klaas