RE: [Clip] Re: Find dialog problems

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
      It's code page 1252, for the document, but the problem occurs only when I'm looking at the clip library. This isn't a
      document issue, it is a clip editor problem, and it has never happened to me before. I've been using it since 4.95. When
      I look at the code page for the clip library, NoteTab says it is UTF-8. I do have conversion routines in the clip
      library, but the clip library itself isn't UTF-8. If I close NoteTab and open the clip library in EditPad Pro, it says
      the clip library code page is 1252. That is, NoteTab says it is UTF8, but EditPad Pro says it is 1252.

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
        The feature did not exist prior to version 6, so you wouldn't have seen
        it in version 4.95.

        The reason why the drop-down menu in the search dialog disappears when
        you activate the Clip editor is because it is marked to save extended
        ANSI characters in UTF-8 format (e.g. diacritic characters). Unless you
        tell it otherwise, NoteTab remembers to respect that format even after
        you remove all extended characters. So the fact that EditPad doesn't see
        any is irrelevant.

        Now I have no idea why your Clip editor is set to UTF-8. There are many
        possible reasons for that. Perhaps your Clip library had some UTF-8
        characters in it at one point?

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/

        On 03/08/2012 17:07, John Shotsky wrote:
        > It's code page 1252, for the document, but the problem occurs only when I'm looking at the clip library. This isn't a
        > document issue, it is a clip editor problem, and it has never happened to me before. I've been using it since 4.95. When
        > I look at the code page for the clip library, NoteTab says it is UTF-8. I do have conversion routines in the clip
        > library, but the clip library itself isn't UTF-8. If I close NoteTab and open the clip library in EditPad Pro, it says
        > the clip library code page is 1252. That is, NoteTab says it is UTF8, but EditPad Pro says it is 1252.
        >
        > Regards,
        > John
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
          I thought of that, but then I went through several shipped clip libararies, and they are all marked UTF-8. It doesn't
          appear to be anything IN my library, it is just marking all libraries as UTF-8.

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
            Eric Fookes wrote:
            > the Clip editor is because it is marked to save extended
            > ANSI characters in UTF-8 format (e.g. diacritic characters).

            How can I see that setting? I know there are some UTF-8 in my clipbook
            in e.g.

            ^!Replace "¡ã" >> "°" WASTI

            (it corrects text pasted from journals' PDFs) but I never had John's
            problem, in my find. The status line only tells me "Format.
            DOS/Windows".

            BUG REPORT:
            In testing for this I just noticed again:
            Document --> Font --> Change Font --> Script
            does not really drop down but shows a selection with only two lines. Not
            nice at all having to step through that until you find the desired one.

            Axel
          • flo.gehrke
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:

              > Hi John,
              >
              > What's the code page for your Clip window?

              I can't confirm that this issue is connected with the Clip Editor.

              I've tested it with the files in the '\Samples' folder. No matter, if the Clip Editor is active or not -- in the Find and in the Replace dialog, the History vanishes every time I open a file that is not set to 'System Codepage (1252)' or 'Western European'.

              With cp_Polish.TXT (Codepage 'Central European'), for example, the History is lost again.

              Also, in my view, it's no NT 7.0 issue. I saw a vanishing History also in NT 6.2 (maybe even previous).

              Regards,
              Flo

              OS: Win XP SP3
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
                I removed my own library from the Libraries folder, with NoteTab closed, and then started NoteTab and began looking at
                all the shipping libraries. The find dialog has no dropdown for any of those libraries, as long as the clip editor is
                the active document. Every one of them is set to UTF-8. If I then start a new document, even with the find dialog still
                displayed, the dropdown arrow shows immediately, and the history is present.

                When I look at those (stock) libraries with EditPad Pro, it says they are all code page 1252, which I believe to be
                true. It also says my own library is CP 1252. I may reinstall to see if that corrects the issue.

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
                  The reinstall fixed this problem. I copied my library and the .ini file over to the new installation, and all is as it
                  should be. I will report if it happens again.