FarClips in Large Libraries

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2012
      I am forced to bite the bullet to reorganize and partition
      my clip library as it is way past too large and unwieldy.

      Although most of the interclip calls will stay within a given section,
      some do not. To prevent future breakage, I am considering changing
      all of the clip calls to FarClips.

      Is there any penalty or gotchas for doing this when a called clip is in
      the same library and the Far attribute is unnecessary?

      Any other tips or suggestions on organizing large libraries?

      Thanks for your suggestions,

      Art
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2012
        Art Kocsis wrote:
        > Is there any penalty or gotchas for doing this when a called clip
        > is in the same library and the Far attribute is unnecessary?

        I see only one:
        Before you could rename the clip book or move a bunch of clips to
        another one together and they'd continue running. Now the far clip call
        will contain the library (or book) name and has to be adapted in every
        instance.

        Axel
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2012
          On 8/2/2012 7:46 PM, Art Kocsis wrote:
          > I am forced to bite the bullet to reorganize and partition
          > my clip library as it is way past too large and unwieldy.
          >
          > Although most of the interclip calls will stay within a given section,
          > some do not. To prevent future breakage, I am considering changing
          > all of the clip calls to FarClips.
          >
          > Is there any penalty or gotchas for doing this when a called clip is in
          > the same library and the Far attribute is unnecessary?
          >
          > Any other tips or suggestions on organizing large libraries?
          >
          > Thanks for your suggestions,
          >
          > Art
          Art,

          I started using ^!FarClip exclusively, without regard to which library
          the clip is in, a couple of years ago, so far, no apparent problems.

          good luck.

          > ···············································
          > ¤• JD#...214 - ¤• SL...100 - 12.08.02~07.18.53
          >
          > • Always Borrow Money From A Pessimist.
          > • They Don't Expect To Be Paid Back!
          >
          > € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
        • Ian NTnerd
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2012
            Art,

            Far clip does have some limitations compared to a clip in the same library.

            1. If you use a common far clip that needs to call a clip in the
            starting library. You need to use far clip to call the clip in the
            starting library.
            My example:
            I use far clips for common functions. These I put in a clip called
            "call" The most used clip is a loop clip. Called "loopA" that needs an
            array called ^%arrayA%. I pass the farclip a parameter that is the
            subroutine clip. The subroutine is in the calling clips library. So my
            call is complex but saves a lot of other coding. Using ^$GetLibraryName$
            makes the clip more transportable to other clips.

            ^!farclip "call:loopA" ^$GetLibraryName$:actionforeacharrayitem

            2. Custom functions as opposed to a clip can't be called from far clips
            as such. However that limitation can be worked around by using a local
            custom function as a wrapper for a far clip.
            example:
            I have a custom function ^$xdigits()$ that adds zeros in front of a
            number so it is the required length. That is if the function is used
            ^$xdigits(5;10)$ then 00010 will be returned. You can add a local clip
            called ^$farfunc()$ that takes as many parameters as you choose to build
            it for. It acts like a function but it calls farclips that have a single
            variable that is then inserted as the result of the farfunc. I don't use
            this as much as ^!farclip but it has its uses.

            In the local library
            H="Test"
            Fill this number to four digits ^$farclip(call:xdigits;4;1)$

            H="~farfunc"
            ; FarFunc can call some functions in another clipbook
            ; xdigits, 2digit,
            ^!setlistdelimiter ;
            ^!set %input%=^&
            ^!setarray %part%=^%input%
            ^!set %param%=^$StrReplace("^%part1%;";"";"^%input%";No;No)$
            ^!farclip "^%part1%" ^%param%
            ^!result ^%outvalue%

            ---------------------
            In the far library named "call"
            ---------------------
            H="~xdigits"
            ; Output a set number of digits, that is padded with zeros.
            ; ^$xdigits(2;5)$ would return 05
            ; ^$xdigits(4;50)$ would return 0050
            ; can be called as a far function by farfunc clip.
            ; example ^$farfunc(call:xdigits;4;5)$ will return 0005
            ^!SetListDelimiter ;
            ^!SetArray %numb%=^&
            ^!set %digits%=^%numb1%
            ^!if ^$IsNumber(^%numb2%)$=1 switch else outofrange

            :switch
            ^!if ^$StrSize("^%numb2%")$>^%digits% outofrange
            ^!set %zeros%=^$calc(^%digits%-^$StrSize("^%numb2%")$)$
            ^!set %outvalue%=^$StrFill(0;^%zeros%)$^%numb2%
            ^!goto endxdigits

            :outofrange
            ^!info Out of range. No number with between 1 and ^%digits% digit input.
            The script will exit.
            ^!goto exit
            :endxdigits
            ^!result ^%outvalue%

            That is the issues I see. Surmountable but require some modification work.

            Ian