Re: Find dialog problems

  • flo.gehrke
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2 1:48 PM

      > Since updating to version 7, I have repeatedly found the find
      > dialog with no history...

      This reminds me of your topic "Missing Find and Search history dropdowns, Basic Group, 09/20/2011, #22233 ff. You confirmed that this is due to Unicode.

      During NT 7.0 betatest, I reported this to Eric. His reply was: "Unfortunately the drop-down list is not designed to store Unicode text, which is why it isn't displayed in this situation."

      Regards,
      Flo
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2 5:40 PM
        The files in question have been saved as ansi, closed, and reopened. I don't think there is any Unicode remaining,
        unless the save andi command isn't working. And this never, ever happened before version 7.

        > Since updating to version 7, I have repeatedly found the find
        > dialog with no history...

        This reminds me of your topic "Missing Find and Search history dropdowns, Basic Group, 09/20/2011, #22233 ff. You
        confirmed that this is due to Unicode.

        During NT 7.0 betatest, I reported this to Eric. His reply was: "Unfortunately the drop-down list is not designed to
        store Unicode text, which is why it isn't displayed in this situation."

        Regards,
        Flo

      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2 11:01 PM
          Hi John,

          > The files in question have been saved as ansi, closed, and reopened. I don't think there is any Unicode remaining,
          > unless the save andi command isn't working. And this never, ever happened before version 7.

          What code page does NoteTab show for your document (right click on
          document tab and look in the Code Page submenu)?

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 3 5:31 AM
            Eric, it happened again today. When I closed the find dialog, checked the code page, then tried the Find dialog again,
            it worked. I didn't change anything. However, it had a term highlighted in the Find dialog that I had not searched for,
            but was probably something that clips had processed. I do not have the 'find word at cursor' checkbox checked, so
            nothing should be in that dialog that I have not searched for.

            System Code Page (1252). I don't know if the embedded screenshots will come through.

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 3 5:37 AM
              I should have done a little more testing, because it is now reproducible. I have a working document and I have the clip
              editor active. When I have the Find dialog open, and my document is active, the dialog has a dropdown arrow and
              remembered terms. When I click on the '[Clips]' tab, the down arrow vanishes, and that last term remains. As I click
              back and forth between the document tab and the [clips] tab it repeats with each click. Again, this is new with version
              7, I've never seen it before.

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 3 7:53 AM
                Hi John,

                What's the code page for your Clip window?

                Note that this feature hasn't changed since NoteTab 6. So you'd probably
                see the same behavior whether you use version 7 or 6.

                On 03/08/2012 14:37, John Shotsky wrote:
                > I should have done a little more testing, because it is now reproducible. I have a working document and I have the clip
                > editor active. When I have the Find dialog open, and my document is active, the dialog has a dropdown arrow and
                > remembered terms. When I click on the '[Clips]' tab, the down arrow vanishes, and that last term remains. As I click
                > back and forth between the document tab and the [clips] tab it repeats with each click. Again, this is new with version
                > 7, I've never seen it before.

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/
              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 3 8:07 AM
                  It's code page 1252, for the document, but the problem occurs only when I'm looking at the clip library. This isn't a
                  document issue, it is a clip editor problem, and it has never happened to me before. I've been using it since 4.95. When
                  I look at the code page for the clip library, NoteTab says it is UTF-8. I do have conversion routines in the clip
                  library, but the clip library itself isn't UTF-8. If I close NoteTab and open the clip library in EditPad Pro, it says
                  the clip library code page is 1252. That is, NoteTab says it is UTF8, but EditPad Pro says it is 1252.

                  What's the code page for your Clip window?

                  Note that this feature hasn't changed since NoteTab 6. So you'd probably
                  see the same behavior whether you use version 7 or 6.

                  On 03/08/2012 14:37, John Shotsky wrote:
                  > I should have done a little more testing, because it is now reproducible. I have a working document and I have the
                  clip
                  > editor active. When I have the Find dialog open, and my document is active, the dialog has a dropdown arrow and
                  > remembered terms. When I click on the '[Clips]' tab, the down arrow vanishes, and that last term remains. As I click
                  > back and forth between the document tab and the [clips] tab it repeats with each click. Again, this is new with
                  version
                  > 7, I've never seen it before.

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/

                • Eric Fookes
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 3 8:30 AM
                    The feature did not exist prior to version 6, so you wouldn't have seen
                    it in version 4.95.

                    The reason why the drop-down menu in the search dialog disappears when
                    you activate the Clip editor is because it is marked to save extended
                    ANSI characters in UTF-8 format (e.g. diacritic characters). Unless you
                    tell it otherwise, NoteTab remembers to respect that format even after
                    you remove all extended characters. So the fact that EditPad doesn't see
                    any is irrelevant.

                    Now I have no idea why your Clip editor is set to UTF-8. There are many
                    possible reasons for that. Perhaps your Clip library had some UTF-8
                    characters in it at one point?

                    Eric Fookes
                    http://www.fookes.com/

                    On 03/08/2012 17:07, John Shotsky wrote:
                    > It's code page 1252, for the document, but the problem occurs only when I'm looking at the clip library. This isn't a
                    > document issue, it is a clip editor problem, and it has never happened to me before. I've been using it since 4.95. When
                    > I look at the code page for the clip library, NoteTab says it is UTF-8. I do have conversion routines in the clip
                    > library, but the clip library itself isn't UTF-8. If I close NoteTab and open the clip library in EditPad Pro, it says
                    > the clip library code page is 1252. That is, NoteTab says it is UTF8, but EditPad Pro says it is 1252.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > John
                  • John Shotsky
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 3 8:50 AM
                      I thought of that, but then I went through several shipped clip libararies, and they are all marked UTF-8. It doesn't
                      appear to be anything IN my library, it is just marking all libraries as UTF-8.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 3 9:37 AM
                        Eric Fookes wrote:
                        > the Clip editor is because it is marked to save extended
                        > ANSI characters in UTF-8 format (e.g. diacritic characters).

                        How can I see that setting? I know there are some UTF-8 in my clipbook
                        in e.g.

                        ^!Replace "¡ã" >> "°" WASTI

                        (it corrects text pasted from journals' PDFs) but I never had John's
                        problem, in my find. The status line only tells me "Format.
                        DOS/Windows".

                        BUG REPORT:
                        In testing for this I just noticed again:
                        Document --> Font --> Change Font --> Script
                        does not really drop down but shows a selection with only two lines. Not
                        nice at all having to step through that until you find the desired one.

                        Axel
                      • flo.gehrke
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 3 10:17 AM
                          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:

                          > Hi John,
                          >
                          > What's the code page for your Clip window?

                          I can't confirm that this issue is connected with the Clip Editor.

                          I've tested it with the files in the '\Samples' folder. No matter, if the Clip Editor is active or not -- in the Find and in the Replace dialog, the History vanishes every time I open a file that is not set to 'System Codepage (1252)' or 'Western European'.

                          With cp_Polish.TXT (Codepage 'Central European'), for example, the History is lost again.

                          Also, in my view, it's no NT 7.0 issue. I saw a vanishing History also in NT 6.2 (maybe even previous).

                          Regards,
                          Flo

                          OS: Win XP SP3
                        • John Shotsky
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 3 10:42 AM
                            I removed my own library from the Libraries folder, with NoteTab closed, and then started NoteTab and began looking at
                            all the shipping libraries. The find dialog has no dropdown for any of those libraries, as long as the clip editor is
                            the active document. Every one of them is set to UTF-8. If I then start a new document, even with the find dialog still
                            displayed, the dropdown arrow shows immediately, and the history is present.

                            When I look at those (stock) libraries with EditPad Pro, it says they are all code page 1252, which I believe to be
                            true. It also says my own library is CP 1252. I may reinstall to see if that corrects the issue.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 3 11:00 AM
                              The reinstall fixed this problem. I copied my library and the .ini file over to the new installation, and all is as it
                              should be. I will report if it happens again.