[Clip] Re: Big searches

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 26, 1999
      "BONG" <bong@...> wrote:
      >I experience serious problems when searching my 50 MB textfile database. It
      >would be tedious to split files in multiple groups. RegExp searches lock up
      >the system whenever the file is more than about 4 megs. How would you
      >recommend to solve the problem?

      Download grep, awk, or Perl, and use from the command line. You should
      be able to find versions of these for any operating system. These utilities
      should have no trouble with large files. Also, these utilities are highly
      optimized for what they do. A good version of grep can search large files
      faster than most text editors. Perl scripts can also be extremely efficient.

      --
      Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
    • BONG
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 27, 1999
        I experience serious problems when searching my 50 MB textfile database. It
        would be tedious to split files in multiple groups. RegExp searches lock up
        the system whenever the file is more than about 4 megs. How would you
        recommend to solve the problem?

        BONG

        P.S. I have 64 megs of RAM and a 3-gig hard disk.