[Clip] Clip Challenge

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 1999
      I need a clip that sorts the document tabs by filename, path,
      extension, or date.

      The problem is that NoteTab does not have a command like

      ^!MoveDocTab FromIndex ToIndex

      I am asking if anyone can find a work around. Can document
      tabs be moved using the ^!KeyBoard command? There are
      several people on this list who are much more familiar
      with the possible keyboard shortcuts than I am.

      Can anyone find any other workable method for a clip to
      rearrange the document tabs?

      Oh, I just thought of a method that should work -
      closing all open documents, then reopening them in the
      desired sequence. This has a bad side effect of saving
      changes - even if the user is not ready to have the
      changes saved.

      Can anybody solve my challenge, and write a clip for
      NoteTab 4.6 that reliably sorts the document tabs, and
      has as few side-effects as possible ?????

      And Eric, is ^!MoveDocTab on the wishlist?

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ntb-clips
    • Dennis Partridge
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 1999
        At 01:30 AM 4/2/99 GMT, you wrote:

        Hi Wayne and all,

        While we're on the topic of tabs, I have noticed a unique situation with
        mine. When trying to open a group of files, it takes the first file and
        uses it in the last tab, and the last file and uses it in the first tab,
        all remaining files are in alphabetical order. Has anyone else noticed this???

        I'll defer to Kay and Lawrence for their workaround to your challange.

        Dennis

        >I need a clip that sorts the document tabs by filename, path,
        >extension, or date.

        Dennis N. Partridge
        partridge@...

        The SurnameWeb
        http://www.surnameweb.org/
        Co-Founder and Team Leader

        The Partridge Nest
        http://www.surnameweb.org/centers/p/partridge/
        Webmaster

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ntb-clips
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 1999
          Hi Dennis,

          >While we're on the topic of tabs, I have noticed a unique situation with
          >mine. When trying to open a group of files, it takes the first file and
          >uses it in the last tab, and the last file and uses it in the first tab,
          >all remaining files are in alphabetical order. Has anyone else noticed
          >this???

          Yes and I needed to have a way in the past to open them in a certain
          order. Reordering numerous files is a lot of work. I found using a freeware program like ReNameIt (or a script as far as that goes) to
          rename the files using a number and a script worked for me.

          Here is a clip that will open from first to last in order (or you
          could use ^!Dec and start the count ^%n% at the high end to open
          in the opposite direction. Some of my files have the number at the
          end of the filename, but before the extension so I just shift the
          ^%n% over in the appropriate places. Nothing fancy here and a bit
          of leg work has to be done first, but it sure beats hassling with
          the tabs when 100s of files in different groups has to be edited.

          ^!Set %n%=1; %Path%=^?[(T=D)Get Directory]; %Name%=^?[Filename, less incremental number]; %Ext%=^?[Extension without period]

          :Loop
          ^!Open ^%Path%^%n%^%Name%.^%Ext%
          ^!Inc %n%
          ^!IfFileExist "^%Path%^%n%^%Name%.^%Ext%" Loop else End

          C ya,
          Jody

          http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
          http://www.sureword.com/notetab