Re: [Clip] Re: StrPosRight bug in NTP 7.0?

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 5, 2012
      Hi Alec,

      > btw: Eric, your new pages and in fact the entire site looks really good.

      Glad you like the new site. It took much longer to complete than
      expected. I did all I could to help make this release a success. There
      are still some things under construction. For example, some of the
      screen shots will be replaced with short videos.

      > Please post here when you have the "contributed clips" moved over.

      Will do.

      > One
      > minor point: You might want to link the first and subsequent references
      > to user-support-groups to your page with the links to these yahoo groups.

      Thanks for your suggestion.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 5, 2012
        Piotr wrote:
        > I upgraded yesterday evening without any problems.

        Lucky you. I enforce a minimum font size, no background wallpaper, and
        disallow scripts, all perfectly legal and standard settings offered by
        all current browsers, and this is what I see:

        <http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png>
        <http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard02.png>

        I'm sorry, but this is a dysdunctional, unusable, and broken website. I
        can't currently upgrade, much that I want to. Shame that.

        Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 5, 2012
          Hi Axel,

          I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with our new e-commerce system.
          I've sent them a copy of your message to see what they have to say about
          it. Were you able to view the new NoteTab site alright with your settings?

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 5, 2012
            Eric Fookes wrote:
            > Were you able to view the new NoteTab site alright with your settings?

            Sure, you at least value cleanliness, KISS, and standards, so even in my
            CSS-less and imageless Netscape 4.8 it's fully functional. There are
            some bugs though:

            In HTML the reader, not you, decides about font size. This is what
            happens, when you try to press it into a border of finite pixel size
            regardless:

            <http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard03.png>

            Without CSS all browsers leave a small margin between the window frame
            and the leftmost letters. With CSS and a full reset you're responsible
            for that yourself. This

            <http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard04.png>

            is ugly and hard to read.
            I suggest continuing this in the HTML list, where it isn't off topic.

            N.B: I'm not sure if the list accepts attachments or not. As they're
            only 18 kB and 7 kB I'll try attaching the two images.

            Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 5, 2012
              I used Google Chrome, and did not disable anything in it. If you don't want
              to be tracked, you can use the Anonymous mode in it.

              PB

              On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Piotr wrote:
              > > I upgraded yesterday evening without any problems.
              >
              > Lucky you. I enforce a minimum font size, no background wallpaper, and
              > disallow scripts, all perfectly legal and standard settings offered by
              > all current browsers, and this is what I see:
              >
              > <http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png>
              > <http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard02.png>
              >
              > I'm sorry, but this is a dysdunctional, unusable, and broken website. I
              > can't currently upgrade, much that I want to. Shame that.
              >
              > Axel
              >
              > --
              > Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68

            • flo.gehrke
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 6, 2012
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "anachromat" <tim.peters@...> wrote:

                > Downloaded NTP 7.0 today, and some old clips went crazy. Tracked it down to this:
                >
                > H=bug
                > ^!Info ^$StrPosRight("X";"abcXdefXghi";False)$
                >
                > That displays 4 when I run it (the index of the leftmost X). I expected it to display 8 (the index of the rightmost X). In other words, StrPosRight is acting the same as StrPos now.

                Same bug in #^$StrPosMid$.

                Test:

                ^!Info ^$StrPosMid("X";"abcXdef";1;True)$
                ^!Info ^$StrPosMid("X";"abcXdef";2;True)$

                Different start positions are returning the same value. As Tim wrote, it behaves as ^$StrPos$ too.

                Regards,
                Flo

                NT 7.0 Pro Final Release
              • anachromat
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 6, 2012
                  [flo.gehrke]
                  > Same bug in #^$StrPosMid$.
                  >
                  > Test:
                  >
                  > ^!Info ^$StrPosMid("X";"abcXdef";1;True)$
                  > ^!Info ^$StrPosMid("X";"abcXdef";2;True)$
                  >
                  > Different start positions are returning the same value.

                  Ah, but I believe they _should_, right? There is only one X in the string, at index 4. If you start searching at the first, second, third or fourth position, that's the X you should find.

                  Here's a more elaborate test:

                  ^!Set %m%=^%EMPTY%; %i%=1
                  :again
                  ^!Append %m%=at i=^%i% result is ^$StrPosMid("X";"aXaXaXa";^%i%;True)$^P
                  ^!Inc %i%
                  ^!If ^%i%>7 NEXT ELSE again
                  ^!Info [L]^%m%

                  Under NTP 7.0, that displays:

                  at i=1 result is 2
                  at i=2 result is 2
                  at i=3 result is 4
                  at i=4 result is 4
                  at i=5 result is 6
                  at i=6 result is 6
                  at i=7 result is 0

                  and those all look correct to me.
                • flo.gehrke
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 7, 2012
                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "anachromat" <tim.peters@...> wrote:

                    > > ^!Info ^$StrPosMid("X";"abcXdef";1;True)$
                    > > ^!Info ^$StrPosMid("X";"abcXdef";2;True)$
                    > >
                    > > Different start positions are returning the same value.
                    >
                    > Ah, but I believe they _should_, right?

                    Tim,

                    Thanks -- you are certainly right.

                    In my naive view, I thought that '^$StrPosMid$' is shifting the counting of string positions to the right, and the specified index position would be the point from where the COUNTING starts. Actually, it's the point from where the SEARCHING starts.

                    Consequently...

                    ^!Info Start at position #3 = ^$StrPosMid("X";"12345X7890";3;"1")$
                    ^!Info Start at position #6 = ^$StrPosMid("X";"12345X7890";6;"1")$

                    will correctly return the same value '6'. But...

                    ^!Info Start at position #7 = ^$StrPosMid("X";"12345X7890";7;"1")$

                    returns '0' because 'X' is not inside the range that is searched.

                    I hope I learned the lesson now :-)

                    Flo