Re: [Clip] Re: StrPosRight bug in NTP 7.0?

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 4, 2012
      Hmmm ... now that DOES sound awfully hard to pass off as "that's a
      feature not a bug" :-D
      Maybe Eric is still monitoring the forum closely and can weigh in?

      btw: Eric, your new pages and in fact the entire site looks really good.
      Please post here when you have the "contributed clips" moved over. One
      minor point: You might want to link the first and subsequent references
      to user-support-groups to your page with the links to these yahoo groups.

      On 2012-07-04 23:54, anachromat wrote:
      > [Alec Burgess]
      > > Try: ^!Info ^$StrPosRight("X";"abcDXdefXghi";False)$
      > > ie. different number of characters from left and right before the
      > > targeted character.
      >
      > That example returns 5 in NTP 7.0, same as StrPos returns.
      >
      > > Not tested in ntb7 nor any earlier version, but it
      > > makes sense to me.
      >
      > It certainly makes sense for StrPos. But StrPosRight is documented as
      > searching "from right to left".
      >
      > > If fact it used to behave differently
      >
      > Yes, it did. It used to work as documented - LOL ;-)
    • Don
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 5, 2012
        One page says you were the first tabbed text editor way back in 1995 ...
        and the copyrights are from 1996 and everywhere else says you started in
        1996.

        Also how does one fine their purchase key? I have no idea. I tried to
        buy and got stuck.

        On 7/5/2012 12:09 AM, Alec Burgess wrote:
        > Hmmm ... now that DOES sound awfully hard to pass off as "that's a
        > feature not a bug" :-D
        > Maybe Eric is still monitoring the forum closely and can weigh in?
        >
        > btw: Eric, your new pages and in fact the entire site looks really good.
        > Please post here when you have the "contributed clips" moved over. One
        > minor point: You might want to link the first and subsequent references
        > to user-support-groups to your page with the links to these yahoo groups.
        >
        > On 2012-07-04 23:54, anachromat wrote:
        >> [Alec Burgess]
        >>> Try: ^!Info ^$StrPosRight("X";"abcDXdefXghi";False)$
        >>> ie. different number of characters from left and right before the
        >>> targeted character.
        >>
        >> That example returns 5 in NTP 7.0, same as StrPos returns.
        >>
        >>> Not tested in ntb7 nor any earlier version, but it
        >>> makes sense to me.
        >>
        >> It certainly makes sense for StrPos. But StrPosRight is documented as
        >> searching "from right to left".
        >>
        >>> If fact it used to behave differently
        >>
        >> Yes, it did. It used to work as documented - LOL ;-)

      • Piotr
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 5, 2012
          Your old purchased and installed copy of NoteTab is your purchase key. If
          you click the Upgrade link in the check for updates dialog box it will take
          you to the purchase form. I upgraded yesterday evening without any problems.

          Piotr

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 5, 2012
            Thanks Piotr worked like a charm. Since it was 50% I bought two of them
            :-) and am installing one now.

            On 7/5/2012 7:31 AM, Piotr wrote:
            > Your old purchased and installed copy of NoteTab is your purchase key. If
            > you click the Upgrade link in the check for updates dialog box it will take
            > you to the purchase form. I upgraded yesterday evening without any problems.
            >
            > Piotr

          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 5, 2012
              Hi Don,

              > One page says you were the first tabbed text editor way back in 1995 ...
              > and the copyrights are from 1996 and everywhere else says you started in
              > 1996.

              NoteTab and Fookes Software came into existence in 1996. But there was
              an earlier version of NoteTab called Mini Notepad. It had the tabbed
              interface and was released as freeware in 1995.

              > Also how does one fine their purchase key? I have no idea. I tried to
              > buy and got stuck.

              You only need the order number if you can't use NoteTab's "Check for
              Updates" feature available from the Help menu. If that doesn't work and
              you can't find your order number, contact our Help Desk and we'll get
              you sorted out:

              http://www.notetab.com/contact-us.php

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/
            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 5, 2012
                Hi Tim,

                > Downloaded NTP 7.0 today, and some old clips went crazy. Tracked it down to this:
                >
                > H=bug
                > ^!Info ^$StrPosRight("X";"abcXdefXghi";False)$
                >
                > That displays 4 when I run it (the index of the leftmost X). I expected it to display 8 (the index of the rightmost X). In other words, StrPosRight is acting the same as StrPos now.

                Thanks for this bug report. I've made a note of it and will investigate
                the issue when preparing the next maintenance release...

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/
              • Eric Fookes
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 5, 2012
                  Hi Alec,

                  > btw: Eric, your new pages and in fact the entire site looks really good.

                  Glad you like the new site. It took much longer to complete than
                  expected. I did all I could to help make this release a success. There
                  are still some things under construction. For example, some of the
                  screen shots will be replaced with short videos.

                  > Please post here when you have the "contributed clips" moved over.

                  Will do.

                  > One
                  > minor point: You might want to link the first and subsequent references
                  > to user-support-groups to your page with the links to these yahoo groups.

                  Thanks for your suggestion.

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 5, 2012
                    Piotr wrote:
                    > I upgraded yesterday evening without any problems.

                    Lucky you. I enforce a minimum font size, no background wallpaper, and
                    disallow scripts, all perfectly legal and standard settings offered by
                    all current browsers, and this is what I see:

                    <http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png>
                    <http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard02.png>

                    I'm sorry, but this is a dysdunctional, unusable, and broken website. I
                    can't currently upgrade, much that I want to. Shame that.

                    Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                  • Eric Fookes
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 5, 2012
                      Hi Axel,

                      I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with our new e-commerce system.
                      I've sent them a copy of your message to see what they have to say about
                      it. Were you able to view the new NoteTab site alright with your settings?

                      Eric Fookes
                      http://www.fookes.com/

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 5, 2012
                        Eric Fookes wrote:
                        > Were you able to view the new NoteTab site alright with your settings?

                        Sure, you at least value cleanliness, KISS, and standards, so even in my
                        CSS-less and imageless Netscape 4.8 it's fully functional. There are
                        some bugs though:

                        In HTML the reader, not you, decides about font size. This is what
                        happens, when you try to press it into a border of finite pixel size
                        regardless:

                        <http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard03.png>

                        Without CSS all browsers leave a small margin between the window frame
                        and the leftmost letters. With CSS and a full reset you're responsible
                        for that yourself. This

                        <http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard04.png>

                        is ugly and hard to read.
                        I suggest continuing this in the HTML list, where it isn't off topic.

                        N.B: I'm not sure if the list accepts attachments or not. As they're
                        only 18 kB and 7 kB I'll try attaching the two images.

                        Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 5, 2012
                          I used Google Chrome, and did not disable anything in it. If you don't want
                          to be tracked, you can use the Anonymous mode in it.

                          PB

                          On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > Piotr wrote:
                          > > I upgraded yesterday evening without any problems.
                          >
                          > Lucky you. I enforce a minimum font size, no background wallpaper, and
                          > disallow scripts, all perfectly legal and standard settings offered by
                          > all current browsers, and this is what I see:
                          >
                          > <http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png>
                          > <http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard02.png>
                          >
                          > I'm sorry, but this is a dysdunctional, unusable, and broken website. I
                          > can't currently upgrade, much that I want to. Shame that.
                          >
                          > Axel
                          >
                          > --
                          > Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68

                        • flo.gehrke
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 6, 2012
                            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "anachromat" <tim.peters@...> wrote:

                            > Downloaded NTP 7.0 today, and some old clips went crazy. Tracked it down to this:
                            >
                            > H=bug
                            > ^!Info ^$StrPosRight("X";"abcXdefXghi";False)$
                            >
                            > That displays 4 when I run it (the index of the leftmost X). I expected it to display 8 (the index of the rightmost X). In other words, StrPosRight is acting the same as StrPos now.

                            Same bug in #^$StrPosMid$.

                            Test:

                            ^!Info ^$StrPosMid("X";"abcXdef";1;True)$
                            ^!Info ^$StrPosMid("X";"abcXdef";2;True)$

                            Different start positions are returning the same value. As Tim wrote, it behaves as ^$StrPos$ too.

                            Regards,
                            Flo

                            NT 7.0 Pro Final Release
                          • anachromat
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 6, 2012
                              [flo.gehrke]
                              > Same bug in #^$StrPosMid$.
                              >
                              > Test:
                              >
                              > ^!Info ^$StrPosMid("X";"abcXdef";1;True)$
                              > ^!Info ^$StrPosMid("X";"abcXdef";2;True)$
                              >
                              > Different start positions are returning the same value.

                              Ah, but I believe they _should_, right? There is only one X in the string, at index 4. If you start searching at the first, second, third or fourth position, that's the X you should find.

                              Here's a more elaborate test:

                              ^!Set %m%=^%EMPTY%; %i%=1
                              :again
                              ^!Append %m%=at i=^%i% result is ^$StrPosMid("X";"aXaXaXa";^%i%;True)$^P
                              ^!Inc %i%
                              ^!If ^%i%>7 NEXT ELSE again
                              ^!Info [L]^%m%

                              Under NTP 7.0, that displays:

                              at i=1 result is 2
                              at i=2 result is 2
                              at i=3 result is 4
                              at i=4 result is 4
                              at i=5 result is 6
                              at i=6 result is 6
                              at i=7 result is 0

                              and those all look correct to me.
                            • flo.gehrke
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 7, 2012
                                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "anachromat" <tim.peters@...> wrote:

                                > > ^!Info ^$StrPosMid("X";"abcXdef";1;True)$
                                > > ^!Info ^$StrPosMid("X";"abcXdef";2;True)$
                                > >
                                > > Different start positions are returning the same value.
                                >
                                > Ah, but I believe they _should_, right?

                                Tim,

                                Thanks -- you are certainly right.

                                In my naive view, I thought that '^$StrPosMid$' is shifting the counting of string positions to the right, and the specified index position would be the point from where the COUNTING starts. Actually, it's the point from where the SEARCHING starts.

                                Consequently...

                                ^!Info Start at position #3 = ^$StrPosMid("X";"12345X7890";3;"1")$
                                ^!Info Start at position #6 = ^$StrPosMid("X";"12345X7890";6;"1")$

                                will correctly return the same value '6'. But...

                                ^!Info Start at position #7 = ^$StrPosMid("X";"12345X7890";7;"1")$

                                returns '0' because 'X' is not inside the range that is searched.

                                I hope I learned the lesson now :-)

                                Flo