RE: [Clip] automating via template and clip processing from Directorylist

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 25, 2012
      But hyphenated names will present a problem�
      A term for all forms of letter characters and not numbers is \p{L}

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 25, 2012
        John Shotsky wrote:
        > But hyphenated names will present a problem…

        Yes, but I had deliberately disregarded that. In a format with a hyphen
        as delimiter between family and Christian name, there is no way you can
        automatically cater for hyphenated names.

        My clip will throw out anything with more than two hyphens, so no two
        initials either. One might modify the first loop to detect these and not
        delete them. They will then be left for manual editing and can be found
        as lines not beginning with <a.

        Axel
      • Jeffery Scism
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 25, 2012
          On 6/25/2012 4:17 AM, Axel Berger wrote:

          > Jeffery Scism wrote:
          > > THIS will save LOTS of time.
          >
          > But keep an eye open for those accents. All foreigners will be thrown
          > out as the clip is now.
          >
          > Axel

          Shouldn't be an issue, I didn't use accented text when I originally
          wrote that site several years ago, so they shouldn't be there.

          This is a county in the heart of Indiana, and the names are all
          american standard alphabet... (crossing fingers with confidence)

        • Jeffery Scism
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 25, 2012
            On 6/25/2012 5:56 AM, John Shotsky wrote:
            > But hyphenated names will present a problem…
            > A term for all forms of letter characters and not numbers is \p{L}
            >
            > Regards,
            > John
            My naming custom avoids this problem.

            Thanks!
          • Jeffery Scism
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 25, 2012
              On 6/25/2012 7:12 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
              > Yes, but I had deliberately disregarded that. In a format with a hyphen
              > as delimiter between family and Christian name, there is no way you can
              > automatically cater for hyphenated names.
              >
              > My clip will throw out anything with more than two hyphens, so no two
              > initials either. One might modify the first loop to detect these and not
              > delete them. They will then be left for manual editing and can be found
              > as lines not beginning with <a.
              >
              > Axel
              Or they will show up as broken links when I run XENU. And can be
              manually corrected as needed.
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 25, 2012
                Jeffery Scism wrote:
                > so they shouldn't be there.

                For online filenames it is still good practice to stick to 7-bit
                characters anyway. I was a bit lax about that some time ago but have
                mended my ways, when mailed URLs got mangled.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 25, 2012
                  Jeffery Scism wrote:
                  > Or they will show up as broken links when I run XENU.

                  Yes, but only if not deleted first. My first find in the ^!Replace is
                  rather strict and anything not modified there is thrown out in the first
                  loop.