What is it you like most about NoteTab?

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 16, 2012
      Dear Notetabber,

      I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
      this email?

      Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
      for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
      program enhancements.

      1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
      (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

      2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

      3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

      4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
      another editor?

      5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
      offer?

      6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

      Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
      send them to me directly at eric.fookes@... if you prefer. Thanks!

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • Evil Grin
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 16, 2012
        Comments interspersed....

        1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
        > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

        A: I have NoteTab open for the entire time I'm online. Editing,
        copywriting, notes, cleaning up email, saving bits and pieces.

        > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

        A: Clip libraries, and being able to add clips in a useful fashion. I like
        that it's lightweight and has never once jammed up on me, which is
        important when it's open all the time.

        > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

        A: Various libraries

        > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
        > another editor?

        A: Various libraries - especially the ones that I've built myself. I
        would also miss the help sections (and the yahoo list with the ability to
        get help if I needed it)

        > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
        > offer?

        A: not really applicable to me

        > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

        A: being able to create super clean code has been a lifesaver for me

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 16, 2012
          Eric,
          My answers below -

          I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
          this email?

          Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
          for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
          program enhancements.

          1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
          (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)
          [Processing text files with clip library. The text files are mostly food recipes/cookbooks. I also maintain all my web
          pages with NoteTab Pro.]

          2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
          [The scripting capabilities and Regex]

          3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
          [The scripting capabilities and Regex]

          4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
          another editor?
          [The scripting capabilities and Regex]

          5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
          offer?
          [Unicode editing. I use EditPad Pro for that and for hex editing.]

          6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?
          [The scripting capabilities and Regex]

          [While you didn't ask which feature that we find most annoying, I will mention it anyway. I HATE that the find/replace
          and search dialogs are changed by running clips. I have to reset the regex/case checkboxes, etc. every time I manually
          use it. If there was an option to make it stay the way it last was set manually, I would use that option permanently.
          The fact that it changes based on scripts also means wanted search terms are scrolled off the bottom of the list
          prematurely.]

          Awesome piece of work, though! NoteTab and email are always running on my computer.

          Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
          send them to me directly at eric.fookes@... <mailto:eric.fookes%40gmail.com> if you prefer. Thanks!

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/

        • Jeffery Scism
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 16, 2012
            On 6/16/2012 10:52 AM, John Shotsky wrote:
            > [While you didn't ask which feature that we find most annoying, I will mention it anyway. I HATE that the find/replace
            > and search dialogs are changed by running clips. I have to reset the regex/case checkboxes, etc. every time I manually
            > use it. If there was an option to make it stay the way it last was set manually, I would use that option permanently.
            > The fact that it changes based on scripts also means wanted search terms are scrolled off the bottom of the list
            > prematurely.]

            Just write it as clip with the options you want prechecked preceeded
            by a "_" in the wizard.
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 16, 2012
              Jeffery Scism wrote:
              > Just write it as clip with the options you want prechecked preceeded
              > by a "_" in the wizard.

              As John frequently seems to look for the same things that may indeed be
              the best solution.
              > also means wanted search terms are scrolled off the bottom of
              > the list prematurely.

              For the rest I want the opposite. Sometimes the results of clips need to
              be checked manually. So my clips often end with a ^!Find as the last
              command. I then want to be able to <F3> through the document. It seems
              that all options are set by that ^!Find except for the Regex one. That's
              inconsistent. Let's have all or none, but not some.

              Axel
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 16, 2012
                Not really true, but when I am searching for something, I search for it many times, then may never search for it again.
                I just want an option to not change the find text willy nilly. I dislike that it automatically highlights something that
                isn't highlighted every time too. I know enough to highlight something FIRST if that's what I want to find, but if I
                don't have anything highlighted, it probably means I'm not searching for the next word that is after the cursor. In
                fact, as far as software goes, those features that make assumptions seldom save time, and they always need to be negated
                if that's not what is wanted. Extra work, almost always. I can virtually never use F3 because almost always the find
                criteria has changed on me. Just saying, if it were an option, I would want it off.

                > Just write it as clip with the options you want prechecked preceeded
                > by a "_" in the wizard.

                As John frequently seems to look for the same things that may indeed be
                the best solution.
                > also means wanted search terms are scrolled off the bottom of
                > the list prematurely.

                For the rest I want the opposite. Sometimes the results of clips need to
                be checked manually. So my clips often end with a ^!Find as the last
                command. I then want to be able to <F3> through the document. It seems
                that all options are set by that ^!Find except for the Regex one. That's
                inconsistent. Let's have all or none, but not some.

              • Gerard Huijing
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 16, 2012
                  On 16-6-2012 19:32, Eric Fookes wrote:

                  > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                  > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

                  Just about anything to do with unformatted text. My ideal is to do away
                  with word processors altogether, maybe except for the very last stage,
                  actually converting to some kind of formatted text.

                  I may be able to achieve that best under Unix/Linux with vi(m) and
                  LaTex, but I have never tried the combination. I do use vi(m) a lot
                  though. Besides, I prefer dedicated Windows applications when under Windows.

                  > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                  That NTB offers many, easy to access features for working with
                  unformatted text. I am not a programmer, nor an html coder nor anything
                  like that. I like that part of NTB too, but I do not really need it. For
                  me those 'techy' features are just (very handy) fun really.

                  > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                  Pasteboard, Outline, working with files in multiple tabs simultaneously,
                  search (and replace), renaming + deleting files from inside NTB.

                  > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                  > another editor?

                  See 3, but other editors do have at least some of these features but not
                  all.

                  > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                  > offer?

                  See also ad 1. Being able to work with Unicode.

                  > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                  It is one of the best ways I know of working with plain text files.

                  --
                  Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                  2312 ZD Leiden

                    1 - Coding, mostly PHP
                    2 - Ability to handle large multi megabyte files
                    3 - Large search and replace operations (apart from general editing)
                    4 - See (2)
                    5 - None
                    6 - See (2), used it for so long I rarely recall using anything else

                    I don't really use the advanced features much, I keep meaning to get
                    into them but never have the time.

                    Tim

                    On 16/06/2012 18:32, Eric Fookes wrote:

                    > Dear Notetabber,
                    >
                    > I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
                    > this email?
                    >
                    > Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
                    > for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
                    > program enhancements.
                    >
                    > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                    > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)
                    >
                    > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
                    >
                    > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
                    >
                    > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                    > another editor?
                    >
                    > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                    > offer?
                    >
                    > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?
                    >
                    > Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
                    > send them to me directly at eric.fookes@...
                    > <mailto:eric.fookes%40gmail.com> if you prefer. Thanks!
                    >
                    > --
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Eric Fookes
                    > http://www.fookes.com/

                  • Sezor
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 17, 2012
                      John Shotsky wrote:

                      > [While you didn't ask which feature that we find most annoying, I will mention it anyway. I HATE that the find/replace
                      > and search dialogs are changed by running clips. I have to reset the regex/case checkboxes, etc. every time I manually
                      > use it. If there was an option to make it stay the way it last was set manually, I would use that option permanently.
                      > The fact that it changes based on scripts also means wanted search terms are scrolled off the bottom of the list
                      > prematurely.]

                      I just have each clip reset them to my defaults.
                    • Sezor
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 17, 2012
                        Eric Fookes wrote:

                        > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                        As a sort of dashboard for doing the things I do
                        frequently

                        > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
                        outlines, urls, clips,

                        > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
                        the above, + keeping notes, opening files

                        > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                        > another editor?
                        outlines, urls, clips,

                        > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                        > offer?
                        file comparisons

                        > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?
                        help with common tasks

                        Sezor
                      • Don
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 17, 2012
                          I guess I took the below as a given, but it was actually pretty unique
                          when you first started it. Tab driven programs have now become the norm.

                          I too use disk search often.

                          Eventually I'll wish I had listed 90% of the features others are listing
                          as well. I am enjoying this thread a lot.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 17, 2012
                            So what are the defaults and can you give an example please John?

                            In the end a clip command, reset to defaults might be nice ... or maybe
                            not needed once I figure out what the defaults are and write a clip with
                            them.

                            There are lots of little things we do periodically that are like this
                            ... zero padding is one off the top of my head, recording if wordwrap is
                            on/off and restoring it, etc.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 17, 2012
                              There aren't defaults, it is simply that it changes without me changing it. If I have it set to ignore case and use
                              regex, I want it to stay that way until I change it. If I had a certain search going, I want to be able to use F3 and
                              repeat that search, regardless of whether I have run some clips between them. When I open the search box, I expect to
                              see the settings as I left them, the search terms that I entered in the history, and the last one I used set as the
                              current search. As it is, when I open the search dialog, it grabs something random and adds it to the search window. I
                              simply want it to stop changing ANYTHING in that dialog unless I change it. Dialogs are meant for manual input and
                              having it change is frustrating. I probably run 50 searches per day, so I see this issue about that many time.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 17, 2012
                                What would be needed would be two sets of settings,
                                one for clips, one for manual finds.

                                John Shotsky wrote:
                                > There aren't defaults, it is simply that it changes without me changing it. If I have it set to ignore case and use
                                > regex, I want it to stay that way until I change it. If I had a certain search going, I want to be able to use F3 and
                                > repeat that search, regardless of whether I have run some clips between them. When I open the search box, I expect to
                                > see the settings as I left them, the search terms that I entered in the history, and the last one I used set as the
                                > current search. As it is, when I open the search dialog, it grabs something random and adds it to the search window. I
                                > simply want it to stop changing ANYTHING in that dialog unless I change it. Dialogs are meant for manual input and
                                > having it change is frustrating. I probably run 50 searches per day, so I see this issue about that many time.
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                > John

                              • flo.gehrke
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 17, 2012
                                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:

                                  > Dear Notetabber,
                                  >
                                  > I'd love to have your opinion...

                                  1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?

                                  Editing text, Text Analysis & Retrieval; mainly dealing with text from scans, files, or internet, to be edited before importing it into text databases (my favorite: AskSam, www.asksam.com). Additional evaluating text that has been exported from those databases (indexing, creating thesaurus and descriptors, detecting structural faults etc).

                                  2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                                  Easy and efficient scripting (Clips) / Its enormous, almost inexhaustible versatility -- even after years, I get across new features I haven't seen before ;-)

                                  3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                                  Clips / Find & Replace

                                  4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                                  another editor?

                                  Unknown, since I don't use another editor.

                                  5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors offer?

                                  Selected Editing in KEDIT (www.kedit.com).

                                  Normally, I don't use another editor -- so I don't know whether any other editor offers one of the following features. All I can deliver is my personal "Most missed in NoteTab List" (or "wish list"):

                                  Bookmarks: Creating more than 10 bookmarks (unlimited if possible)

                                  Bookmarks: Saving bookmarks with file

                                  Clip / '^!Info': Customizing message window with '^!SetInfoWidth' (cf '^!SetWizardWidth').

                                  Clip / ^!Append: Directly appending data from functions, clipboard etc; so far, we can append contents from other variable only. Example: ^!Append %Var%=^$GetDocMatchAll(...)$; ^!Append ^$GetClipboard

                                  Clip / ^!DeleteSelection: An 'A' option, i.e. delete all occurrences of selection in active document.

                                  Clip / ^!Jump: Jump to character defined numerically ("99th character in document")

                                  Clip / Executing Clips with customized shortcuts

                                  Clip / Number Lines: A '^!NumberLines' command with 'Start Numbering from/to' options. Please note: We've got '^!Toolbar Number Lines' but it prompts the user to enter a line number. Alternative: A '^$NumberLines(Start;End;FormatNumber)$' function which returnes the whole file or selected lines only.

                                  Clip / Runtime: '^$Runtime$' function which returns the runtime of a clip -- also in milliseconds!

                                  Clip / Search & Replace: Conditional Replacement with arrays.
                                  Example: !Replace "Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday" >> "(Mo|Tue|Wed)"

                                  Clip / Search & Replace: RegEx in all String Functions

                                  Clip / Sort: Numeric sort like ^$StrSort(Str;Numeric;Ascending;RemoveDuplicates)$

                                  Clip / Search & Replace: Excluding a selection (reverse to 'H' option).

                                  Clip: Repeating a loop defined times; i.e. something like 'For...to' or '^!LoopStart [n times]' and '^!LoopEnd'.

                                  Clip: A '^!IfRestart' command that checks if Clip has been startet anew during a session

                                  Editor Clipbook: Limiting search and search & replace to a particular Clip (so far it searches the whole clipbook)

                                  Editor: "Document | Second Window" also tiling horizontally

                                  Search & Replace: A 'Concept-based Search' that finds 'concepts' (synonyms for example). The user defines a list of terms which should be regarded as equivalents. Example: Search 'mother' will also match 'father', 'dad', 'mom', 'parents' etc. The Search dialog should contain a check box 'Use Concepts' allowing access to that list. Define that list in "Options | Tools " for example. Enable Concept-based Search also in Clips.

                                  Search & Replace: A kind of Fuzzy Search option based on linguistic rules. Example: Find 'dialog' also matches 'dialogue'

                                  Search Disk: Boolean Expressions in "Search | Search Disk" like "Find files where 'A not (B or C) is true"

                                  Search Disk: Executing Search Disk with a Clip command fully supporting all its options and arguments

                                  Search: A kind of KWIC Concordance (Keyword in Context) that finds a search term and displays it in a defined context of n words before and after that term. Note: A long time ago, we've created that with a Clip -- but a standard command would be useful.

                                  Spell Check / Options: Ignore case option

                                  Spell Check: Clearing an UDT against a reference text corpus. Example: Remove all entries which occur less than (optional:1|2|3|...) times in reference corpus.

                                  Spell Check: Editing *.DCT dictionaries

                                  Text Statistics: A '^$TextStatistics$' function which returns the results of the Text Statistics (optional:short/word frequency) without dialogs.

                                  Text Statistics: An option for a case-sensitive statistics. Note: "report" and "Report" is two times "report" now; that option should distinguish between upper and lower case. Also as an option in related string functions (^$StrWordList$, ^$StrWordCount$ etc).

                                  6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                                  Improving all those tasks I mentioned above in #1

                                  Regards,
                                  Flo

                                  P.S. Adding another question...

                                  7. Is there any risk in using NoteTab?

                                  There are signs that you could get addicted ;-)
                                • John Shotsky
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 17, 2012
                                    My clip library has over 33000 lines, about half of which are comments. The whole library is never used at one time, but
                                    the user sets up the type of source document they are processing, and what kinds of outputs they want (text, html,
                                    ebook) (or even all of them) and the program runs the parts that are necessary to accomplish the user's wishes. Thus,
                                    there are an infinite number of ways through the program. When troubleshooting, I often put a GoTo Exit at the point
                                    where I know something is not processing correctly. When I run the program, it exits at that point, and then I can see
                                    the text as following clip would see it. That menas that the clip that ran last, which may have been after a preceding
                                    5000 clip commands, is the one that sets up the search dialog. THAT is the problem � I don't want that dialog to change.
                                    There are no defaults, the default is what I last set it to.

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 17, 2012
                                      Well, yes, that would work, but my point is that the dialog is a manual object, or should be. That is the search history
                                      that should be kept together. I wouldn't want the clips to store their own history, it doesn't make any sense. How would
                                      you even use something like that? I can't think of a benefit of having the search dialog change automatically. A benefit
                                      needs to benefit most of the users, not just a few, before it is a benefit. It is a hindrance to the rest.

                                      John Shotsky wrote:
                                      > There aren't defaults, it is simply that it changes without me changing it. If I have it set to ignore case and use
                                      > regex, I want it to stay that way until I change it. If I had a certain search going, I want to be able to use F3 and
                                      > repeat that search, regardless of whether I have run some clips between them. When I open the search box, I expect to
                                      > see the settings as I left them, the search terms that I entered in the history, and the last one I used set as the
                                      > current search. As it is, when I open the search dialog, it grabs something random and adds it to the search window. I
                                      > simply want it to stop changing ANYTHING in that dialog unless I change it. Dialogs are meant for manual input and
                                      > having it change is frustrating. I probably run 50 searches per day, so I see this issue about that many time.
                                      >
                                      > Regards,
                                      > John

                                    • Ray McDowell
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 17, 2012
                                        1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                                        I use it as my plain text pkm;  that is, everything. My writing (with markdown text  markup), my catalogs and lists, todos, notes  idea development and projects.

                                        2. What is it you like most about NoteTab? The wiki style hyperlinks and the clips.

                                        3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most? The hyperlinks.

                                        4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                                        another editor?  I do have to use other editors and I miss the hyperlinking.

                                        5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                                        offer? multi-level outlining.

                                        6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?  plain text editing with sophisticated utilities to manipulate and convert them to other formats as needed.

                                        ________________________________

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 17, 2012
                                          A nice group of cool features. I like the list a lot, but especially:
                                          Spell Check / Options: Ignore case option

                                          It needs to permit ignoring ANYTHING it finds as an error. I have numbers touching text, and I have numbers followed by
                                          numbers, and sometimes I have a word followed by the same word, and I have to manually tell it to ignore the same things
                                          all the way through. It is so difficult to use that I gave up on it and use spell checkers from other programs post
                                          process. For example, the two 1's in this phrase cannot be ignored: 1 1/2 minutes. The Ignore all box is grayed out. Not
                                          only that, but it requires TWO ignores to get past it � one for each 1. This also triggers an error, and cannot be
                                          ignored: 4 (4-ounce) salmon steaks. I'd like an option to simply ignore numbers. There is an option to ignore WORDS with
                                          numbers, but not numbers themselves. I want it to only look at words, and then only the ones I have not done a 'change
                                          all' or an 'ignore all' on. Ignore All should work on anything it finds if I choose to ignore them all, but I virtually
                                          never want it to flag numbers as errors. They NEVER are actually errors, but they ALWAYS require me to manually bypass
                                          each and every one. Do you know how many fractions there are in a 5K cookbook??? Thousands! And every complex fraction
                                          will trigger an error.

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jun 17, 2012
                                            John Shotsky wrote:
                                            > If I had a certain search going, I want to be able to use F3 and
                                            > repeat that search, regardless of whether I have run some clips
                                            > between them.

                                            NO, no no no, NO! I need <F3> to follow the clips search, how else can I
                                            end a clip with essentially saying "manually check all occurrences of
                                            ..."

                                            > As it is, when I open the search dialog, it grabs something random
                                            > and adds it to the search window.

                                            Doesn't, unless you still haven't amended
                                            View->Options->Tools->Find word at cursor.
                                            Except for that the search and the replace fields contain the last thing
                                            actively put in there.

                                            > Dialogs are meant for manual input

                                            Well what I do is manual and I'd hate it if I had to set it up manually
                                            too. That's what clips are for, do things for me, so I need not do them
                                            manually.

                                            Axel
                                          • John Shotsky
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jun 17, 2012
                                              That is why I said it should be an option. It is a hindrance for me, not a benefit. Others feel the same way. I'm not
                                              suggesting anything be removed, just that an option should permit leaving the dialog as last set manually, if that is
                                              what is wanted.

                                              > If I had a certain search going, I want to be able to use F3 and
                                              > repeat that search, regardless of whether I have run some clips
                                              > between them.

                                              NO, no no no, NO! I need <F3> to follow the clips search, how else can I
                                              end a clip with essentially saying "manually check all occurrences of
                                              ..."

                                              > As it is, when I open the search dialog, it grabs something random
                                              > and adds it to the search window.

                                              Doesn't, unless you still haven't amended
                                              View->Options->Tools->Find word at cursor.
                                              Except for that the search and the replace fields contain the last thing
                                              actively put in there.

                                              > Dialogs are meant for manual input

                                              Well what I do is manual and I'd hate it if I had to set it up manually
                                              too. That's what clips are for, do things for me, so I need not do them
                                              manually.

                                            • Ray Shapp
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jun 17, 2012
                                                Hi Eric,

                                                <1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?

                                                NTP is always open. I use it for editing HTML, copying/pasting formatted
                                                text into unformatted form, note taking, comparing files, running clips.

                                                <2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                                                It would be a toss up between the outline feature and the pasteboard.

                                                <3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                                                Outlines. I'm surprised other respondents didn't mention outlines more
                                                frequently. Maybe outline use is implied in "note taking". Multi-level
                                                outlining would interest me in some future version of NTP.

                                                <4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most

                                                Outlines and clips.

                                                <5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab in other editors?

                                                Doesn't apply. I haven't used any other editor since DOS EDIT.

                                                <6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                                                Editing HTML, copying/pasting formatted text into unformatted form, note
                                                taking, comparing files, running clips... AND...the extremely valuable help
                                                I have received over the years from the contributors to the NTP discussion
                                                groups on Y!. And the price and upgrade policy are the biggest bargain on
                                                my computing universe.

                                                Thanks for asking.

                                                Ray Shapp

                                              • Ian NTnerd
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jun 17, 2012
                                                  On 17/06/2012 3:32 AM, Eric Fookes wrote:
                                                  > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                                                  > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)
                                                  A great variety of scripting projects (100 I counted) many using GUIs.
                                                  Reformatting HTML data for database importable xml.
                                                  Adding default account postings to bank .qif files.
                                                  Lots of simple scripting projects.
                                                  Making a newsletter from a template with default date.
                                                  Building my own GUI to various command line tools like xcopy, xpdf, wget
                                                  Downloading/backingup json exports from my Trello boards and
                                                  reformatting as readable xml for off line use.

                                                  > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
                                                  The clips on the left are so easy to use. The libraries provide lots of
                                                  options for various projects.

                                                  > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
                                                  Scripting

                                                  > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                                                  > another editor?
                                                  The easy to access clip usage and editing.

                                                  > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                                                  > offer?
                                                  Good syntax highlighting!!!!!! Multi coloured for many different script
                                                  languages. This is the main reason I use other editors. The HTML and XML
                                                  colouring in NT is a poor relation of many free editors.
                                                  Finding the matching closing/opening tag.
                                                  Ctrl+space tag list for language.

                                                  > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?
                                                  I can have lots of clips to do repetitive tasks. They stay available and
                                                  organised.

                                                  Ian
                                                • Robert Bull
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jun 18, 2012
                                                    On Sunday, June 17, 2012, 11:02:28 PM, Ray Shapp wrote:

                                                    RS> <3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                                                    RS> Outlines. I'm surprised other respondents didn't mention outlines
                                                    RS> more frequently. Maybe outline use is implied in "note taking".
                                                    RS> Multi-level outlining would interest me in some future version of
                                                    RS> NTP.

                                                    I would be interested in a single-pane outliner, like PC-Outline was
                                                    for DOS and Noteliner is for Windows, that works with plain text, and
                                                    not just code; although I don't see how it could be made to work with
                                                    true plain text...

                                                    If by multi-level is meant a tree-type two-pane outliner, then I
                                                    personally think that's probably a job for a different application.
                                                    There are plenty of two-pane outliners available already, many of them
                                                    free. E.g. MemPad, AllMyNotes free version, RightNote free version,
                                                    etc.

                                                    Robert Bull
                                                    mailto:barlennan@...
                                                  • Eric Fookes
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jun 27, 2012
                                                      Thanks to all who have taken the time to answer my questions. I've
                                                      received more replies than I expected, both here and at my personal
                                                      email address.

                                                      Your feedback has been really helpful and I also appreciate the
                                                      suggestions some of you sent. New ideas have been added to the NoteTab
                                                      wish list.

                                                      We're in the final stages with the new web site and hope to release
                                                      NoteTab 7 by the 1st of July.

                                                      Eric Fookes
                                                      http://www.fookes.com/

                                                      On 16/06/2012 19:32, Eric Fookes wrote:
                                                      > Dear Notetabber,
                                                      >
                                                      > I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
                                                      > this email?
                                                      >
                                                      > Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
                                                      > for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
                                                      > program enhancements.
                                                      >
                                                      > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                                                      > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)
                                                      >
                                                      > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
                                                      >
                                                      > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
                                                      >
                                                      > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                                                      > another editor?
                                                      >
                                                      > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                                                      > offer?
                                                      >
                                                      > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?
                                                      >

                                                      > Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
                                                      > send them to me directly at eric.fookes@... if you prefer. Thanks!
                                                    • C
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jun 28, 2012
                                                        Hi Eric,

                                                        You have a great software, I use a lot and with other programs.

                                                        Please include in your whish list for version 7, please:

                                                        1. ^$GetLineExecution$

                                                        to get the number of the script line that will next execute or last ececuted.

                                                        As you realize, your debug options are very limited. This is to permit to a programmer to write clips with deep information about any execution of a clip, to a more deep debug.

                                                        1. Ketboard

                                                        To better automize the NTP,

                                                        ^!Clipboard Mleft (left button of the mouse)
                                                        ^!Clipboard Mright (right Right of the mouse)
                                                        ^!Clipboard Mclick (click (center) button of the mouse).

                                                        Best regards and thanks!
                                                      • Don
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jun 28, 2012
                                                          While we are wishing, I wish that sort had options in the sort dialog
                                                          from the menu to allow me to remove dups or not like it has ascending or
                                                          descending. As it is I have to go to the view options and find it. So
                                                          for instead of two:

                                                          ascending - leave duplicates
                                                          ascending - remove duplicates
                                                          descending - leave duplicates
                                                          descending - remove duplicates

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Jun 28, 2012
                                                            To continue the
                                                            > While we are wishing,
                                                            theme:

                                                            I'm grateful for the /RawUTF8 switch, but it would be nice to have that
                                                            added to the options somewhere. The very practical reason:
                                                            I have currently got three folders, "NoteTab-5-8", "NoteTab-7", and
                                                            "NoteTab", which currently contains version 6.2. When I'm ready to make
                                                            the plunge I just rename "NoteTab" to "NoteTab-62" and "NoteTab-7" to
                                                            "NoteTab" and all my links and calls in Batches hidden all over the
                                                            place will work as before. That's how I made all major changes in the
                                                            past and having to find all those hidden calls to add the switch would
                                                            be a major PITA as well as possibly closing the way back.