What's New in PCRE 8.30?

  • flo.gehrke
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2012
      NT 7.0 now works with PCRE 8.30 (of 02/04/2012) whereas the previous v6.2 worked with PCRE 8.01 (of 01/19/2010).

      I looked through the PCRE Changelog but couldn't find any essential change since v8.30 that would affect my everyday use of RegEx.

      Maybe one should mention that the '\N' sequence is accepted now which caused an error message in NT 6.2.

      So far, we've discussed two issues (see messages #22589 and #22631) and described appropriate solutions.

      For me, there is another issue with RegEx so far which isn't due to PCRE but to a change in NT 7.0:

      If there was a RegEx syntax error, NT 6.2 returned a more precise error message. An easy example: When using a RegEx like 'a\K+b', NT 6.2 returned "Nothing to repeat". So we could immediately comprehend that there is a wrong quantifier in this pattern.

      NT 7.0, however, always returns the same default message "Clip syntax error..." only without giving any hint to the specific kind of syntax error. You may test it with...

      ^!Info ^$StrReplace("a\K+b";"c";"ab";R)$

      Of course, we could regain that more precise message with a RegEx check...

      ^!IfRegexOk "a\K+b" Skip
      ^!Info ^$GetRegexErrorMsg$
      ^!Info ^$StrReplace("a\K+b";"c";"ab";R)$

      ...but that's rather uncomfortable.

      I reported that issue to Eric. Let's hope we'll get back the old state in NT 7.1.

      Once again, my question is: Did you come across any relevant change in the use of RegEx in NT 7.0?

      Thanks for any hint,
      Flo
    • flo.gehrke
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 2012

        > NT 7.0 now works with PCRE 8.30 (of 02/04/2012) whereas the previous v6.2 worked with PCRE 8.01 (of 01/19/2010).
        >
        > I looked through the PCRE Changelog but couldn't find any essential change since v8.30 that would affect my everyday use of RegEx.

        Sorry, typo: "I looked through the PCRE Changelog but couldn't find any essential change since v8.01 that would affect my everyday use of RegEx."

        Flo 8-(
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 15, 2012
          I can tell you that I have an extensive clip library of over 1M, including comments. When I first tried V7 beta, it
          found some syntax errors that 6.2 had let slide. When I fixed those everything worked as expected. I routinely run my
          library on both 6.2 and 7.0 before I update my users. So far, no problems. Mine are not extremely complex, and don't
          generally get into esoteric script that I can't understand when I look at them. Still, I'm happy with the results, and
          so are my users that are also using 7.0 beta. I will probably leave 6.2 installed for a very long time, just for a test
          bed, even after I make the final move to version 7.