Re: [Clip] How to clear ^&

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 14, 2012
      At 6/14/2012 07:53 AM, Axel wrote:
      >Yes. Let me start with a preliminary. Let's have an autorun clip called
      >"<0a" and containing
      >"^!InsertText something^P^&". You invoke it by typing "<0a ". With ^&
      >that last space does nothing, without it you end up with
      ><newline><space>. So I always use ^!Insert with ^&

      That is strange.

      I have used this throughout my library but instead of ^P I used ^%nl%
      and have never seen an extra space following the ^%nl%.

      Do you see the same behavior using ^%nl%?

      Are you running NTS or NTP? Which version?

      Art
    • flo.gehrke
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 15, 2012

        > The very next things I want to do is delete the selection and
        > clear the ^&. The first can be done through ^!Keyboard DELETE,
        > although I'd like a better and more specific way, and the second
        > I don't know how to do at all.

        In NT 7.0, you could use the new '^!DeleteSelection' command.

        IMHO, '^&' is nothing that could be "cleared" like a variable. NT sticks to the string that has been selected when starting the clip. Neither removing that string nor executing '^!Select 0' can "clear" the '^&' token. If I'm not mistaken, it's "empty" only if you start another clip (no subclip!) without having selected anything.

        As Sheri once put it: '^&' is "a shorthand for preselected text (preselected prior to executing your clip)" (3.3.2007, #16164). Also: "The '^&' is not an argument pass-er, it is the argument pass-ed" (1.12.2008, #18759). Consequently, it's just a side effect that -- on certain conditions -- '^&' seems to be able to "position the cursor".

        > The label ^& fulfils two functions. It saves and inserts what
        > was selected before running the clip and it positions the cursor.

        '^&' also works as a parameter string without selecting anything. Example: If you run...

        ; Start clip
        ^!Clip Names Otto

        ; Subclip 'Names'
        ^!Info His name was ^&

        ...the name 'Otto' will be displayed in an info box without selecting any text.

        Regards,
        Flo

        P.S. BTW, where is Sheri? I strongly miss her expertise!
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 15, 2012
          Art Kocsis wrote:
          > Are you running NTS or NTP? Which version?

          Pro, version 6.2. And the behaviour described is documented in the main
          help file:
          "Note that if the Clip contains the cursor-positioning code ^&, the
          activating key is automatically discarded. You can also use the
          activating key in Clip code through the new predefined variable
          ^%AR_KEY%."

          Reversing that: no ^& means no discard of the last character typed. Have
          you tried my minimal example?

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 15, 2012
            "flo.gehrke" wrote:
            > Consequently, it's just a side effect that -- on certain
            > conditions -- '^&' seems to be able to "position the cursor".

            That's bad. Whenever a wizard inserts a more or less complicated
            environment the cursor should be placed in some specific spot right in
            the middle and whenever marking up an ASCII source selecting smething to
            run a clip on is often desirable. It can

            a) save an extra <Ctrl><C> and <Ctrl><V> inside the wizard and
            b) I can highlight one thing and paste another.

            In my link wizard I highlight the text that is to become the link and
            paste the destination.

            By the way:
            > In NT 7.0,

            Must get around to going over. Any known gotchas, stuff that won't work
            as before?