How to clear ^&

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 13, 2012
      The label ^& fulfils two functions. It saves and inserts what was
      selected before running the clip and it positions the cursor. I
      frequently use the latter function, not least because it also gets rid
      of the space that started the autorun.

      So I start my clip with
      ^!Set %variable%=^$GetSelection$

      The very next things I want to do is delete the selection and clear the
      ^&. The first can be done through ^!Keyboard DELETE, although I'd like a
      better and more specific way, and the second I don't know how to do at
      all.

      For the time being I use <Ctrl><X> before running the clip and
      ^!Set %variable%=^$GetClipboard$
      inside, but that's not quite satifactory.

      Danke

      Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
    • Ian NTnerd
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 14, 2012
        Axel,

        Can you give more of your clip (trimmed down perhaps) so we can see what
        you are doing.

        I often use
        ^!Set %variable%=^&

        There after I use the variable, I don't follow how you are reusing the
        ^& that you need it empty.

        Ian

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 14, 2012
          Ian NTnerd wrote:
          > Can you give more of your clip (trimmed down perhaps)
          > so we can see what you are doing.

          Yes. Let me start with a preliminary. Let's have an autorun clip called
          "<0a" and containing
          "^!InsertText something^P^&". You invoke it by typing "<0a ". With ^&
          that last space does nothing, without it you end up with
          <newline><space>. So I always use ^!Insert with ^&

          Now I already have a clip (first line is long) (LaTeX code):

          ^!Set %Ebene%=^?{Level=0}; %Kaptit%=^?{Titel=^%Kaptit%};
          %Kappag%=^?{Seite=};
          %Seiten%=^?{(T=L,H=7)Seitenzählung=keine|_arabic|roman|Roman|alph|Alph};
          %Vakat%=^?{(T=L,H=7)Vakatseite=ja|_nein}
          ^!Set %vPag%=^%Kappag%
          ^!IfFalse ^$IsNumber(^%vPag%)$ SKIP
          ^!Set %vPag%=^$Calc(^%vPag%;0)$
          ^!IfDiff "^%Vakat%" "ja" SKIP
          ^!InsertText \newpage ~^P^&
          ^!InsertText \newpage\pdfbookmark[^%Ebene%]{^%Kaptit%^&
          ^!IfSame "^%Seiten%" "keine" SKIP
          ^!InsertText ^%SPACE%^%vPag%^&
          ^!InsertText }{^%Kappag%}^P^&
          ^!IfSame "^%Seiten%" "keine" SKIP
          ^!InsertText \pagenumbering{^%Seiten%}\setcounter{page}{^%vPag%}^P^&

          This works fine. The following version works too when started through
          <ESC> with or without something selected.

          ^!Set %Zeile%=^%NL%; %Kaptit%=^%EMPTY%
          ^!If ^$GetSelSize$<1 nosel
          ^!Set %Kaptit%=^$GetSelection$
          ^!Set %Zeile%=""
          ^!Keyboard DELETE
          :nosel
          ^!Set %Ebene%=^?{Level=0}; %Kaptit%=^?{Titel=^%Kaptit%};
          %Kappag%=^?{Seite=};
          %Seiten%=^?{(T=L,H=7)Seitenzählung=keine|_arabic|roman|Roman|alph|Alph};
          %Vakat%=^?{(T=L,H=7)Vakatseite=ja|_nein}
          ^!Set %vPag%=^%Kappag%
          ^!IfFalse ^$IsNumber(^%vPag%)$ SKIP
          ^!Set %vPag%=^$Calc(^%vPag%;0)$
          ^!IfDiff "^%Vakat%" "ja" SKIP
          ^!InsertText \newpage ~^P
          ^!InsertText \newpage\pdfbookmark[^%Ebene%]{^%Kaptit%
          ^!IfSame "^%Seiten%" "keine" SKIP
          ^!InsertText ^%SPACE%^%vPag%
          ^!InsertText }{^%Kappag%}^P
          ^!IfSame "^%Seiten%" "keine" SKIP
          ^!InsertText \pagenumbering{^%Seiten%}\setcounter{page}{^%vPag%}^%Zeile%

          Started through autorun it will insert that spurious space, adding a ^&
          anywhere will cause other kinds of trouble whenever something was
          selected.

          A clip that should run through autorun as well as through <Esc> both
          with and without a selection is something I use quite often. It is easy
          whenever there is just one ^!Insert (there may be many ^!Set) and I can
          use ^& to lace the selection, if any. The problem only arises with
          several ^!Insert.

          Sorry, my examples could probably be shorter and clearer.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 14, 2012
            Axel Berger wrote:
            > Started through autorun it will insert that spurious space,

            Solved that one. Just add

            ^!Set %AR_KEY%=^%EMPTY%

            to the clip. But that's a very partial solution. I still want to place
            the cursor in the middle of an ^!Insert sometimes. Then I need an empty
            ^& with nothing but its cursor positioning function.

            Axel
          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 14, 2012
              At 6/14/2012 07:53 AM, Axel wrote:
              >Yes. Let me start with a preliminary. Let's have an autorun clip called
              >"<0a" and containing
              >"^!InsertText something^P^&". You invoke it by typing "<0a ". With ^&
              >that last space does nothing, without it you end up with
              ><newline><space>. So I always use ^!Insert with ^&

              That is strange.

              I have used this throughout my library but instead of ^P I used ^%nl%
              and have never seen an extra space following the ^%nl%.

              Do you see the same behavior using ^%nl%?

              Are you running NTS or NTP? Which version?

              Art
            • flo.gehrke
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 15, 2012

                > The very next things I want to do is delete the selection and
                > clear the ^&. The first can be done through ^!Keyboard DELETE,
                > although I'd like a better and more specific way, and the second
                > I don't know how to do at all.

                In NT 7.0, you could use the new '^!DeleteSelection' command.

                IMHO, '^&' is nothing that could be "cleared" like a variable. NT sticks to the string that has been selected when starting the clip. Neither removing that string nor executing '^!Select 0' can "clear" the '^&' token. If I'm not mistaken, it's "empty" only if you start another clip (no subclip!) without having selected anything.

                As Sheri once put it: '^&' is "a shorthand for preselected text (preselected prior to executing your clip)" (3.3.2007, #16164). Also: "The '^&' is not an argument pass-er, it is the argument pass-ed" (1.12.2008, #18759). Consequently, it's just a side effect that -- on certain conditions -- '^&' seems to be able to "position the cursor".

                > The label ^& fulfils two functions. It saves and inserts what
                > was selected before running the clip and it positions the cursor.

                '^&' also works as a parameter string without selecting anything. Example: If you run...

                ; Start clip
                ^!Clip Names Otto

                ; Subclip 'Names'
                ^!Info His name was ^&

                ...the name 'Otto' will be displayed in an info box without selecting any text.

                Regards,
                Flo

                P.S. BTW, where is Sheri? I strongly miss her expertise!
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 15, 2012
                  Art Kocsis wrote:
                  > Are you running NTS or NTP? Which version?

                  Pro, version 6.2. And the behaviour described is documented in the main
                  help file:
                  "Note that if the Clip contains the cursor-positioning code ^&, the
                  activating key is automatically discarded. You can also use the
                  activating key in Clip code through the new predefined variable
                  ^%AR_KEY%."

                  Reversing that: no ^& means no discard of the last character typed. Have
                  you tried my minimal example?

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 15, 2012
                    "flo.gehrke" wrote:
                    > Consequently, it's just a side effect that -- on certain
                    > conditions -- '^&' seems to be able to "position the cursor".

                    That's bad. Whenever a wizard inserts a more or less complicated
                    environment the cursor should be placed in some specific spot right in
                    the middle and whenever marking up an ASCII source selecting smething to
                    run a clip on is often desirable. It can

                    a) save an extra <Ctrl><C> and <Ctrl><V> inside the wizard and
                    b) I can highlight one thing and paste another.

                    In my link wizard I highlight the text that is to become the link and
                    paste the destination.

                    By the way:
                    > In NT 7.0,

                    Must get around to going over. Any known gotchas, stuff that won't work
                    as before?