strange bug

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2012
      Some time ago I had a strange bug in my NT 6.2. Whenever I right-clicked
      a symbol in my clipbar and chose "botton properties" it crashed my
      Win98SE, so that not even <Ctrl><Alt><Del> did anything anymore and only
      the hard reset button helped. This righted itself after some time and
      everything was fine. Now it has come back again. I have copied the .ini
      and .fpr over from another machine, but that dodn't help.

      The is also a malfunctioning clip. I've no idea if it's connected or
      not. The relevant lines are (three lines, two of them long):

      ^!Continue ^$GetExt(^$GetDocName$)$
      ^!Continue ^$StrPos("^$GetExt(^$GetDocName$)$";".tex .sty .cls .lco .log
      .aux";False)$
      ^!IfFalse ^$StrPos("^$GetExt(^$GetDocName$)$";".tex .sty .cls .lco .log
      .aux";False)$ SKIP

      The first two are new for debugging. As expected I get ".tex" and "1",
      but the third line still skips. This is an old clip that has worked for
      a long time.

      I expect the problem will go away again some time and I've no idea how
      to reproduce it. So the question here is, has anyone had anything
      similar happen to him or is it something only I've got?

      Johann-H├Ąck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
    • Art Kocsis
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2012
        At 6/2/2012 10:41 AM, you wrote:
        >Some time ago I had a strange bug in my NT 6.2. Whenever I right-clicked
        >a symbol in my clipbar and chose "botton properties" it crashed my
        >Win98SE, so that not even <Ctrl><Alt><Del> did anything anymore and only
        >the hard reset button helped. This righted itself after some time and
        >everything was fine. Now it has come back again. I have copied the .ini
        >and .fpr over from another machine, but that dodn't help.
        >
        >The is also a malfunctioning clip. I've no idea if it's connected or
        >not. The relevant lines are (three lines, two of them long):
        >
        >^!Continue ^$GetExt(^$GetDocName$)$
        >^!Continue ^$StrPos("^$GetExt(^$GetDocName$)$";".tex .sty .cls .lco .log
        >.aux";False)$
        >^!IfFalse ^$StrPos("^$GetExt(^$GetDocName$)$";".tex .sty .cls .lco .log
        >.aux";False)$ SKIP
        >
        >The first two are new for debugging. As expected I get ".tex" and "1",
        >but the third line still skips. This is an old clip that has worked for
        >a long time.

        I sometimes have a non-fatal index problem with NTB. I've run extensive
        memory tests but never had an error show up. So I just live with it.

        Perhaps it is another app that is misbehaving. Have you tried booting
        in safe mode and testing. Or stopping all non-essential apps and testing?

        Re the clip problem: What do you mean "still skips"? Does the ^!IfFalse
        test execute? Does it execute and then take the SKIP branch?

        What do you see with ^!SetDEbug On? What value is ^!IfFalse using?

        Art
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2012
          Art Kocsis wrote:
          > What do you mean "still skips"? Does the ^!IfFalse test execute?

          I thought it did, saw "TRUE" (i.e. false=yes") and executed the SKIP. I
          was wrong.

          > What do you see with ^!SetDebug On?

          Now why didn't I think of that myself? The ^!IfFalse did NOT skip, it
          executed the next directive which is a ^!FarClip. And in that other
          library I had made a slight change to the name of the clip involved ...

          Thanks for clearing that up. The last time my problem happened I did not
          have any other side effects either. Just a total crash on "button
          properties".

          > Perhaps it is another app that is misbehaving.

          Quite probably because then and now I can't think of anything I did to
          NoteTab.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2012
            Axel Berger wrote:
            > Quite probably because then and now I can't think of anything I did to
            > NoteTab.

            And again it has gone and righted itself. I have done nothing, neither
            then nor now. Several resets were the first thing I tried and at first
            they did not help.

            So, until next time ...

            Danke