Thanks for all your feedback on NoteTab 7.0

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 9 , May 21, 2012
      Hi everyone,

      Thanks for all your comments and feedback concerning NoteTab 7.0.
      Although we're working frantically on the new NoteTab website and
      migrating to a new e-commerce service, I have been following your posts
      and taking notes.

      Issues that are a quick fix will be taken care of in the final release.
      Others that have been around since the early days of NoteTab and are not
      easy to fix will be left for a future update.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 9 , May 22, 2012
        Eric,
        One issue that has been a long-time problem, but seems worse now, is that the Find and Search dialog box settings seem
        to change themselves between usages. For example, I usually have Regex and Case checked, but often, one of them is
        changed between usages. That is very annoying, because if I don't catch it, I get a bogus find before I notice the
        problem. This has really stumped my when I wasn't alert enough to notice it had changed.

        I also don't like that it 'assumes' what I want to find, and will highlight any word where the cursor happens to be
        sitting and stick that word into the find dialog. I KNOW to highlight a word if I want it to show up, but usually, I
        don't, and probably want whatever the last find was. The fact that it assumes to highlight a word for me, AND change the
        find term, means I have to use the dropdown box to reestablish my previous find, and have to check the checkboxes to see
        what other assumptions were made. Very irritating at times. All it really needs to do is remember the last find, and the
        last settings, UNLESS something is highlighted at the time of initiating the find. Search is the same, of course.

        I have some users using the beta exclusively, and have received similar reports from them:
        PS: I think newest NoteTab might have bug in the Find -- seems erratic. Often gives message that it can't find, but then
        goes to the found word in next breath. One time, I swear I started at top of document, it REFUSED to find, UNTIL FINALLY
        I highlight whole document and THEN told it to find. It was happy then and went right to it.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 22, 2012
          John Shotsky wrote:
          > For example, I usually have Regex and Case checked, but often,
          > one of them is changed between usages. That is very annoying,
          > because if I don't catch it, I get a bogus find before I notice
          > the problem.

          I have a related slight problem. I've become used to it but it is not
          quite right. As not everything can be automated reliably, I often end my
          larger clips with someting like

          ^!Find "\. ?(?=[a-z€-ÿ])" RAST or
          ^!Find "((ll|mm|nn|pp|rr|tt)[aeiouäöü]|"|ßs|ß\b)" RSTI

          I then <F3> through all the places that need to be quecked.

          You'll notice that the ^!Find sets regex and case on or off. But on <F3>
          they are not as set by the ^!Find but as they were before. By now I'm
          accustomed to checking before running the clip but to my mind this
          behaviour is wrong.

          On the other hand those alternating between clips and manual finds
          probably expect the find dialog to stay as it was and not be affected by
          any clips. So the current behaviour can be seen as right.

          Just my four pfennigs.

          Axel
        • Piotr
          Message 4 of 9 , May 22, 2012
            Also, is it possible to set the font in NoteTab Pro so that it sticks to my
            preferred script (Central European)? If not, such an option will be
            welcome (at least by me :-) )

            Regards,

            Piotr

            Message 5 of 9 , May 22, 2012
              John Shotsky wrote:
              > I also don't like that it 'assumes' what I want to find, and will
              > highlight any word where the cursor happens to be sitting and
              > stick that word into the find dialog.

              That one is your choice. See

              View->Options->Tools->Find word at cursor

              Axel
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 9 , May 22, 2012
                Axel,

                I can see your point, using F3, but I don't see how it applies to the settings and content of a dialog box. And that is
                exactly the issue I am reporting � the dialog box changes that are not initiated intentionally. While I can understand
                your usage, I would think that usage is in the minority of cases. It probably explains to me how it gets changed, but it
                shouldn't change the dialog box settings at all. I probably use the find dialog about 100 times a day, and I can tell
                you that it is often frustrating, and always annoying, when it changes itself. Because it ALWAYS has to be changed back.

                > For example, I usually have Regex and Case checked, but often,
                > one of them is changed between usages. That is very annoying,
                > because if I don't catch it, I get a bogus find before I notice
                > the problem.

                I have a related slight problem. I've become used to it but it is not
                quite right. As not everything can be automated reliably, I often end my
                larger clips with someting like

                ^!Find "\. ?(?=[a-z�-�])" RAST or
                ^!Find "((ll|mm|nn|pp|rr|tt)[aeiou���]|"|�s|�\b)" RSTI

                Message 7 of 9 , May 22, 2012
                  Thanks! I didn't realize I had it checked. That fixes one problem.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 22, 2012
                    John Shotsky wrote:
                    > but I don't see how it applies to the settings and content
                    > of a dialog box.

                    Quite, that's why I said "related problem", not the same one.
                    For what it's worth I never noticed the settings in Find changing
                    themselves, but then I never looked closely. My manual finds tend to be
                    all different anyway.

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 22, 2012
                      Piotr wrote:
                      > so that it sticks to my preferred script (Central European)?
                      > If not, such an option will be welcome

                      Agreed. I have several keyboard languages defined in Windows, among them
                      Hebrew, Russian, and Arabic, and it would be nice to have the screen
                      codepage switch with them as some other editors do. I don't expect right
                      to left, that's probably very hard to implement, but everything else is
                      already there, just a bit of a hassle to get to. And it would be nice to
                      have the font drop down show more than just a measly two lines.