Re: [Clip] Swapping lines

  • Bob McAllister
    Message 1 of 10 , May 21, 2012
      In the case of adjacent lines, there is a key-only work around.

      Select both lines then alt+M/L/S to reach Sort Lines; one of ascending (A)
      or descending (D) will then match.

      Limited, I know, but I find it quicker than cut followed by paste when I
      really want swap.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 10 , May 21, 2012
        hsavage wrote:
        > just
        > select the line to be moved and drag it to its new location.

        I might have been more precise, but to me having to got to the mouse
        while editing is far worse then too many keystrokes, hence my second
        question.

        Danke
        Axel
      • Eb
        Message 3 of 10 , May 21, 2012
          Axel,

          If this isn't too many keystrokes for you:

          Swap current lin with the one below

          HOME CTRL+DOWN CTRL+X DOWN CTRL+V

          or swap current line with the one above

          HOME CTRL+UP CTRL+X DOWN CTRL+V

          If you want realistic page scrolling (moving the page up or down 1 line at a time), NoteTab 4.95 will scroll up or down with SHIFT+CTRL+UP/DOWN. Eric changed this behavior in ver 5 (I think.
          Now we have no realistic keyboard scrolling anymore.

          We need to jump to the display top or bottom line, and then use UP or DOWN, respectively. This will lose the cursor position, and there isn't even a way to set a bookmark by keyboard.

          In case you want to try it anyway:

          CTRL+PAGEUP (or PAGEDOWN) UP ... UP (or DOWN ... DOWN)

          As to assigning a clip to keystrokes, the closes you can get to that, short of using Auto-replace, is to create a clip named with an unlikely letter combination, for example 'Z', and run it with the three keystrokes ESC Z ENTER.

          Z is not likely to be a word, except in American ("getting some Z's").

          Eb

          Message 4 of 10 , May 21, 2012
            Eb wrote:
            > HOME CTRL+DOWN CTRL+X DOWN CTRL+V

            Slight error here, should be <Shift><Down> to select. and yes, that's
            exactly my "mark it, cut it, move up, and paste it", so yes, it is a bit
            much compared to a single <Ctrl><Something>.

            > Now we have no realistic keyboard scrolling anymore.

            Yes, shame that. Personally I have no use for CTRL+PAGEUP,
            SHIFT+CTRL+UP, or CTRL+UP. Others may do, so I'm not asking for
            abolishing them. Some hidden sub-sub-menu items would enable me to roll
            my own without inconveniencing anybody else.

            Actually it might be a good idea to hide other stuff that way. It would
            not normally inconvenience mouse-menu users and enable others to make
            many more idiosyncratic key shortcuts for themselves.

            Axel
          • Sezor
            Message 5 of 10 , May 21, 2012
              Hear hear !
              I to miss them.
              (I use autohotkey to swap a line with the one above it.)

              Axel Berger wrote:
              > I'm probably just too dense to find it, but from other editors I'm
              > accustomed to being able to swap a line with the one above it or move it
              > up by one. In NoteTab I have to mark it, cut it, move up, and paste it,
              > altogether far too many keystrokes.
              >
              > In the same vain scrolling the window up and down is easy with a mouse
              > but seems impossible through the keyboard. That too is easy in other
              > editors. Is there a way?
              >
              > As long as there's no easy way to assign keystrokes to clips a clip
              > would not be a good solution for either of those.
              >
              > Danke
              > Axel

            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 10 , May 21, 2012
                On 5/21/2012 3:08 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
                > hsavage wrote:
                >> just
                >> select the line to be moved and drag it to its new location.
                >
                > I might have been more precise, but to me having to got to the mouse
                > while editing is far worse then too many keystrokes, hence my second
                > question.
                >
                > Danke
                > Axel

                Axel,

                Since you're a 'keyboarder' you may get some use from this process.

                Add this clip, or some facsimile, to each clipbook you're likely to
                have open when editing documents.

                Place the cursor on the line to move, Invoke the 'In-Context
                Clipbook' using the ESC key, type the clipname into the single-line
                dialog window, press ENTER.

                Move cursor to new location, press SHIFTKEY

                H="KSML"
                ;—•Modified-Updated~Created
                ;—•hrs ø 2012.05.21_03:46:39p
                ;—•Keyboard-Select-Move-Line
                ^!Select ParaGraph
                ^!KeyBoard Ctrl+X
                ;—•Visual instruction can be remarked out or deleted
                ^!StatusShow Move Cursor To New Location, Press CTRLKEY
                ^!Delay 1
                ^!IfFalse ^$IsShiftKeyDown$ Skip_-1
                ^!KeyBoard Ctrl+V

                ¤• JD#...142 - ¤• SL...1134 - 12.05.21~15.43.06

                • Rules Guys Wish Girls Knew...
                • If You Ask A Question You Don't Want An Answer To,
                • Expect An Answer You Don't Want To Hear.

                € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com

              • Jean-François Colas
                Message 7 of 10 , May 24, 2012
                  Hello list,

                  Le 21/05/2012 16:04, Eb a écrit :
                  > As to assigning a clip to keystrokes, the closes you can get to that, short of using Auto-replace, is to create a clip named with an unlikely letter combination, for example 'Z', and run it with the three keystrokes ESC Z ENTER.

                  Or give the clip a fairly clear name, e.g. SwapLine, then place it in
                  the .clb in a way that it would be the first one whose name starts with
                  "s". Then:
                  ESC s ENTER
                  should work as well.

                  J.-F.
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 24, 2012
                    Jean-François Colas wrote:
                    > Or give the clip a fairly clear name, e.g. SwapLine, then place it in
                    > the .clb in a way that it would be the first one whose name starts with
                    > "s". Then:
                    > ESC s ENTER

                    Yes, that's exactly what I do in other cases. Here though I already have
                    a perfectly workable and at the same time much more flexible if a bit
                    lengthy keyboard solution. So in this case I don't see enough of an
                    advantage. But it's always good to be reminded of all the alternatives
                    for doing something.