Can NoteTab handle input\output for GAWK in only one way?

  • joy8388608
    Message 1 of 6 , May 6, 2012
      I became interested in GAWK code by seeing a recent solution using it a short time ago.

      All I can find so far is that the input is all lines in the current document and the output replaces all lines in the current document.

      Is this correct and is there any other way of getting input and writing output when calling a GAWK script from a NT clip? If so, how.

      ALso, is there any documentation regarding NT and GAWK subroutines?

      Thanks,
      Joy
    • Robert Bull
      Message 2 of 6 , May 6, 2012
        On Sunday, May 6, 2012, 9:15:28 PM, joy8388608 wrote:

        j> I became interested in GAWK code by seeing a recent solution using
        j> it a short time ago.

        j> All I can find so far is that the input is all lines in the current
        j> document and the output replaces all lines in the current document.

        j> Is this correct

        I use AWK scripts, usually with GAWK, but I am not an expert. What
        you've said doesn't sound strictly correct. GAWK looks through all the
        input lines, but it normally only operates on those matching /regular
        expressions/. So an AWK script doesn't necessarily *change* all lines,
        though it may (or may not) *output* them all. However, I suspect the
        bit you're interested in is in this line from Help:

        "NoteTab integrates seamless support for Perl and Gawk interpreters;
        scripts can be stored in NoteTab's Clipbook and applied directly to
        highlighted text or the whole document."

        Note - script need only be applied to a highlit area of text.

        I recommend the AWK book: The AWK Programming Language, by Aho,
        Kernighan and Weinberger, the very people who originated the language.
        My copy is published by Addison-Wesley and dated 1988.

        j> Is this correct and is there any other way of getting input and
        j> writing output when calling a GAWK script from a NT clip? If so, how.

        The only way I know is to put the scripts into a clipbook, in a
        section titled Scripts (what else), and call each script with a clip.
        But, you could also run a script in a normal or TCC-LE console and
        capture the output.

        Not sure that helps, best I can do for now.

        Robert Bull
        mailto:barlennan@...
      • Robert Bull
        Message 3 of 6 , May 6, 2012
          On Sunday, May 6, 2012, 9:15:28 PM, joy8388608 wrote:

          j> I became interested in GAWK code by seeing a recent solution using

          Further to my earlier post, the page of the Help file I quoted is
          titled "Apply Perl and Gawk Scripts on Text." If you search for
          "scripts" in Help, it's the first one in the postings list. Further
          quote from it:

          "Scripts need not be stored in Clip libraries; each script may be
          stored in its own file. Clips which process scripts stored in the Clip
          library are not Clipbar-safe."

          "You will find several examples in the "Samples.clb" library that
          accompanies the NoteTab package."

          I frequently have trouble finding things in the Help file, or more
          accurately, know I've seen something once before, and have trouble
          finding it again.

          Robert Bull
          mailto:barlennan@...
        • joy8388608
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2012
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Robert Bull <barlennan@...> wrote:

            > On Sunday, May 6, 2012, 9:15:28 PM, joy8388608 wrote:
            >
            > j> I became interested in GAWK code by seeing a recent solution using
            >
            > Further to my earlier post, the page of the Help file I quoted is
            > titled "Apply Perl and Gawk Scripts on Text." If you search for
            > "scripts" in Help, it's the first one in the postings list. Further
            > quote from it:
            >
            > "Scripts need not be stored in Clip libraries; each script may be
            > stored in its own file. Clips which process scripts stored in the Clip
            > library are not Clipbar-safe."
            >
            > "You will find several examples in the "Samples.clb" library that
            > accompanies the NoteTab package."
            >
            > I frequently have trouble finding things in the Help file, or more
            > accurately, know I've seen something once before, and have trouble
            > finding it again.
            >

            > --
            > Regards,
            >
            > Robert Bull
            > mailto:barlennan@...

            Thanks for pointing out the samples in samples.clb. I already bought sed & awk by Dale Dougherty (O'Reilly) so will start from there.

            I haven't started playing with it yet, but the one example I saw copied some lines into a new doc and ran a GAWK script which matched and changed all the lines. The results in the doc were the changed lines so I thought that the way it works is to process all the lines in a doc (or, I suppose) just the selected lines (what about partially selected lines???) and replace everything (or just the selected lines?) in that doc with the output which is the changed lines matching the selection criteria.

            Was that clear? I'll figure out more when I actually start to write some test scripts. Wish it was explained a little better somewhere in the NT documentation.

            Thanks for the help.

            Joy
          • joy8388608
            Message 5 of 6 , May 6, 2012

              Message 6 of 6 , May 7, 2012
                On Monday, May 7, 2012, 3:28:55 AM, joy8388608 wrote:

                j> Thanks for pointing out the samples in samples.clb. I already
                j> bought sed & awk by Dale Dougherty (O'Reilly) so will start from

                I hope you bought the second edition, or later. The first edition
                apparently had typos. I prefer The AWK Programming Language for AWK
                itself, but Dougherty's book is still the only one I've seen that
                gives a reasonably comprehensible description of SED.

                j> changed lines so I thought that the way it works is to process all
                j> the lines in a doc (or, I suppose) just the selected lines (what
                j> about partially selected lines???) and replace everything (or just
                j> the selected lines?) in that doc with the output which is the
                j> changed lines matching the selection criteria.

                I think AWK looks at all lines of text given to it, but what if
                anything you get out depends on the script. The traditional way to run
                AWK is from a command line in a console (DOS box). Things are slightly
                different if you run it from inside NT because you can include native
                NT commands in the calling clip, and because you can mark only a
                section of a file in NT and thereby hand that part, only, to AWK.

                I've just done a quick check. If you put an AWK script into a Notetab
                clipbook, select some lines in a file, and tell NT to run the AWK
                script, AWK only processes the *marked* lines. The output from the
                script will replace the original selection only, leaving the rest of
                the (originally unmarked) file as it was. If the marking included only
                part of a line, the excluded part will *not* be processed by AWK.

                j> Wish it was explained a little better somewhere in the NT
                j> documentation.

                So do I :) NT's Help file is good, yet it's often hard to find what
                you want.

                Hope that helps,

                Robert Bull
                mailto:barlennan@...