Re: [Clip] Pre-release #8 of NoteTab 7.0 available

  • fw7oaks
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2012
      --- On Sun, 5/6/12, Robert Bull <barlennan@...> wrote:

      [snip]

      > 2) Ability to specify a base directory for backups.

      I agree too here and while things are being changed move options out from under view to an item in it's own right ?

      > 3) More complete WordStar emulation

      > [snip] it's the best way to get a lot of text down on disk.

      Agreed especially when Caps Lock and Ctrl are swapped.

      I appreciate the 'doubles' are difficult, but that's what makes WordStar commands so useful.

      Either way, change or not, great product.

      'fw'
    • Eb
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2012
        When you get to the prerelease stages, you're beyond adding features.

        However, if you really truly want WordStar commands, why not roll your own? This will not work in NT Light, and I haven't tried it (nor will I), but if you're willing to give up some of the existing keyboard shortcuts, and write clips for dot commands, you should be able to come pretty close to WordStar.

        See Help/Help Topics/Reference Information/Other Topics/Changing Keyboard Shortcuts.

        Back-up the "Shortcuts.dat" file. Then you can restore NoteTab's default shortcuts any time. In fact, you could write a clip to swap names of the backup and active shortcut file so the next restart of NoteTab will change to the other shortcut set.

        Cheers,

        Eb

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Robert Bull <barlennan@...> wrote:
        > 3) More complete WordStar emulation
        > Fat chance of that in the Windows world, I suppose :( But it's the
        > best way to get a lot of text down on disk.
        >
        > --
        > Regards,
        >
        > Robert Bull
        > mailto:barlennan@...

      • Robert Bull
        Message 3 of 5 , May 12, 2012
          On Monday, May 7, 2012, 8:00:25 AM, Eb wrote:

          E> When you get to the prerelease stages, you're beyond adding
          E> features.

          Eric just added ability to paste as HTML :) Nonetheless I take your
          point; minor features only. However, I mentioned bookmarks before,
          probably about two years ago, not long after I registered.

          E> However, if you really truly want WordStar commands, why not roll
          E> your own? This will not work in NT Light

          NTP already has a limited subset of WordStar commands available, but
          it's a mode thing. Windows chose to deviate from the WordStar
          standard and the two are so radically different it's either/or. At
          present I can still use my old DOS editor (VDE, long since freeware)
          or WSedit, a Windows freeware, but it would be nice to have WordStar
          available within NTP as my current duty editor in Windows.

          Robert Bull
          mailto:barlennan@...