RE: [Clip] Re: Something still odd with FIND or is it me? NTL V7pr6

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4, 2012
      I think it is working correctly. When you run each one manually, the cursor is left at the front of the line where the
      replace just took place. So, when you hit replace again, it will consume the (new) fisrt one, etc.
      But if you do replace all, it will only remove the first instance of each line, which is what it should do.

      Message 2 of 10 , May 4, 2012
        I hear you but disagree. With the FIND dialog and 'bob\t' highlighted on the first line, there is no way 'aaa\t' on the first line should be found next when the search string begins with ^.

        Also, FIND should find the strings on each following line.

        AND, Find in FIND and Find in REPLACE should work the same!!!

        Joy

        > I think it is working correctly. When you run each one manually, the cursor is left at the front of the line where the
        > replace just took place. So, when you hit replace again, it will consume the (new) fisrt one, etc.
        > But if you do replace all, it will only remove the first instance of each line, which is what it should do.
        >
        > Regards,
        > John

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 10 , May 4, 2012
          They do work the same way for me. With either find or replace dialogs, and using either your regex or mine, it all works
          as expected. I fail to see the problem.

          "joy8388608" <mycroftj@> wrote:

          > > bob aaa sdfgfgffff
          > > bob bbb sdfgdfsg
          > > joe sss hgfh
          > > steve aaa asdg
          > > joe sss asd
          > > bob aaa rr
          > > joe ttt yy
          > > joe sss xx
          > >
          > > NTL pr 6. Win 7 64 bit.
          > > Searching DOWN with REG EXP ON.
          > >
          > > Data starts in col one and has no trailing characters.
          > > Data is tab delimited with exactly two tabs per line.
          > >
          > > As far as my knowledge goes, this first search string works correctly.
          > >
          > > (.*?)\t
          > > When starting from beginnin of doc. Finds 'bob\t' then 'aaa\t' then 'bob\t' then 'bbb\t' etc.
          > >

          > > This one doesn't do what I expect. I expect to hear that this behavior can not be recreated since I reported
          something
          > like this before and was told that. If so, it IS doing this!
          > >
          > > I expect it to find the first name on each line followed by a tab.
          > > (If I am wrong, how WOULD I search for the first tab delimited field on a line? Or the first two?)
          > >
          > > ^(.*?)\t
          > > When starting from beginnin of doc. Finds 'bob\t' then 'aaa\t' then stops finding. (Clicking FIND NEXT does
          nothing).
          > > When starting with cursor on line one between 'o' and 'b', it finds 'b\t' then nothing else.
          > > When starting with cursor between the 'e' and 'v' of Steve, it finds 've\t' then nothing else.
          > >
          > > Joy

        • joy8388608
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2012
            Yes, I see. And THAT is the problem. :)

            It's not you and it's not me. It's a sneaky little problem that exists but only in certain circumstances. Like the problem where double clicking on a word selected the entire word for some and part of the word for others. The question came up but all I saw were people saying "It doesn't do that for ME" until the setting that made it do one or the other was serendipitously found. (TOOLS -> Quick Open Links).

            If FIND misbehaves for me, it WILL misbehave for a percentage of other users... the more users, the more will see this behavior - or WOULD if they did what I did. But only a small percentage of users use reg exp and a smaller percentage of those that would see this problem will bring it to light by doing the FIND I did. And only a tiny percentage will actually report seeing this bug.

            I have to get back to REAL work now so all I can do is hope for enough respect from everyone to believe when I say something is wrong somewhere and appreciate all the time I (and others) have spent following up on things that seem like bugs, testing, documenting, posting, etc. I, for one, do it because I love NT, appreciate the freeware version provided, appreciate the help of others in this forum when I have questions, and want to do my part to help make it as bug-free as possible. And finding and reporting software bugs is in my nature!

            Best regards,
            Joy

            > They do work the same way for me. With either find or replace dialogs, and using either your regex or mine, it all works
            > as expected. I fail to see the problem.
            >
            > Regards,
            > John

          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4, 2012
              I think you are missing my point. It is behaving as it should according to YOUR explanation of what you are seeing. If
              you do one replace and look where the cursor is left, you will see that the next time you 'find' it will find the second
              word on the first line, because the first word is now gone. You would get the same behavior if you wrote a clip to do
              the replace, and followed it with
              ^!IfErrorNext Else Skip_-1

              But when you do replace all, it will work only on the first words, because of the caret. Above, you move the beginning
              of the line each time you replace one word. So, I don't understand why you say it is misbehaving, when what you describe
              is what should be expected, and is indeed what I see.

              Shotsky" <jshotsky@> wrote:

              > > I think it is working correctly. When you run each one manually, the cursor is left at the front of the line where
              the
              > > replace just took place. So, when you hit replace again, it will consume the (new) fisrt one, etc.
              > > But if you do replace all, it will only remove the first instance of each line, which is what it should do.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > John
              > > RecipeTools Web Site: <http://recipetools.gotdns.com/> http://recipetools.gotdns.com/

            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4, 2012
                Hi Joy,

                You are right. The feature is not working correctly in NoteTab Light
                (and Std). NoteTab Pro does it right, which is why John is not seeing
                the issue.

                Hopefully this won't be too hard to fix...

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/