Pre-release #8 of NoteTab 7.0 available

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2012
      Hi everyone,

      Thanks for all your latest feedback. I've decided to upload another
      pre-release update as several issues were found in the last one.
      Hopefully this one will be good to go :)

      You can download the pre-release #8 of NoteTab Light and NoteTab Pro
      Trial from here:

      NoteTab Light 7 (freeware)
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/NoteTab_Light_Setup.exe

      NoteTab Pro 7 (30-day trial version)
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/NotePro_Trial_Setup.exe

      Here's a list of the main changes since pre-release #7:

      * Fixed several issues in the synchronization of syntax highlighting
      while editing HTML and CSS files.

      * Added two Clip functions to calculate a hash signature of specified
      data using the SHA-1 algorithm:

      ^$GetSHA1File("Filename")$
      Returns the SHA-1 signature of the specified file. The result is
      produced in hexadecimal format. Example:
      ^$GetSHA1File("^$GetAppFileName$")$

      ^$GetSHA1Text("Text")$
      Returns the SHA-1 signature of the specified text. The result is
      produced in hexadecimal format. Example:
      ^$GetSHA1Text("^$GetText$")$

      * Updated the ClipCode.chm Help file. Unfortunately this is not Sheri's
      version as she is not available to update it.

      * Fixed an issue with the Tools/View in Browser feature when an unsaved
      document is renamed.

      * Fixed an issue with ^!Select EOL in NTS and NTL.

      * Fixed several mistakes in the Bootstrap clipbar.

      I look forward to reading your comments and feedback.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • Robert Bull
      Message 2 of 5 , May 6, 2012
        On Friday, May 4, 2012, 4:21:11 PM, Eric Fookes wrote:

        EF> Here's a list of the main changes since pre-release #7:

        I haven't been following the 7 betas closely, but what I'd like to see
        in a new NTP:

        1) More/better bookmarks
        I prefer the system of toggling a (usually un-numbered) bookmark with
        one hotkey (usually Ctrl+F2), and cycling between bookmarks in a
        circular queue with another (usually F2). Only 10 bookmarks is a bit
        stingy for an editor of NTP's stature, and having to remember the
        number of the last one you set is a nuisance. No reason why the first
        10 shouldn't be automatically numbered, of course.

        2) Ability to specify a base directory for backups.
        At present NTP appears to make them in the current directory. I'd
        prefer to be able to set a base directory, something like
        \MyUserName\Documents\Notetab_backups, and have NTP make a "partial
        copy" of the directory tree under it, only what branches it needs to
        mirror the current file's location. This is to ease my automated
        maintenance, where I use Horst Schaeffer's delage32 utility to delete
        old backups by age.

        3) More complete WordStar emulation
        Fat chance of that in the Windows world, I suppose :( But it's the
        best way to get a lot of text down on disk.

        Robert Bull
        mailto:barlennan@...
      • fw7oaks
        Message 3 of 5 , May 6, 2012
          --- On Sun, 5/6/12, Robert Bull <barlennan@...> wrote:

          [snip]

          > 2) Ability to specify a base directory for backups.

          I agree too here and while things are being changed move options out from under view to an item in it's own right ?

          > 3) More complete WordStar emulation

          > [snip] it's the best way to get a lot of text down on disk.

          Agreed especially when Caps Lock and Ctrl are swapped.

          I appreciate the 'doubles' are difficult, but that's what makes WordStar commands so useful.

          Either way, change or not, great product.

          'fw'
        • Eb
          Message 4 of 5 , May 7, 2012
            When you get to the prerelease stages, you're beyond adding features.

            However, if you really truly want WordStar commands, why not roll your own? This will not work in NT Light, and I haven't tried it (nor will I), but if you're willing to give up some of the existing keyboard shortcuts, and write clips for dot commands, you should be able to come pretty close to WordStar.

            See Help/Help Topics/Reference Information/Other Topics/Changing Keyboard Shortcuts.

            Back-up the "Shortcuts.dat" file. Then you can restore NoteTab's default shortcuts any time. In fact, you could write a clip to swap names of the backup and active shortcut file so the next restart of NoteTab will change to the other shortcut set.

            Cheers,

            Eb

            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Robert Bull <barlennan@...> wrote:
            > 3) More complete WordStar emulation
            > Fat chance of that in the Windows world, I suppose :( But it's the
            > best way to get a lot of text down on disk.
            >
            > --
            > Regards,
            >
            > Robert Bull
            > mailto:barlennan@...

          • Robert Bull
            Message 5 of 5 , May 12, 2012
              On Monday, May 7, 2012, 8:00:25 AM, Eb wrote:

              E> When you get to the prerelease stages, you're beyond adding
              E> features.

              Eric just added ability to paste as HTML :) Nonetheless I take your
              point; minor features only. However, I mentioned bookmarks before,
              probably about two years ago, not long after I registered.

              E> However, if you really truly want WordStar commands, why not roll
              E> your own? This will not work in NT Light

              NTP already has a limited subset of WordStar commands available, but
              it's a mode thing. Windows chose to deviate from the WordStar
              standard and the two are so radically different it's either/or. At
              present I can still use my old DOS editor (VDE, long since freeware)
              or WSedit, a Windows freeware, but it would be nice to have WordStar
              available within NTP as my current duty editor in Windows.

              Robert Bull
              mailto:barlennan@...