Copying selected text to a template, which is to replace the current HTML doc.

  • Jeffery Scism
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2012
      I am having trouble creating a replacement doc, (saved with the
      original file name and location) using the template which has ^&
      inserted where I want the selection pasted.

      My syntax is simply pasting the template into the original where the
      selection was.

      I need to have the template Replace the original, not just paste into it.

      I have 25,000 webpages to convert, so I would like to do this silently
      in directory replacement, if I can.

      I am thinking I have to strip out all HTML first, leaving only the parts
      I want to select.

      The below does only a single document, and works on the highlighted
      part I want to keep.

      The previous pages were made by someone else and the formatting isn't
      standard, so there is no one thing I can say "Find this and cut all
      before it."

      The results will be in a FRAME displayed with the Navigation bar which
      will be common to all page displays.

      A sample of how this will go is at:
      http://indianagenweb.com/inmontgomery/alternate/

      (not a functional index yet, a sample)

      ~~~~
      ^!Keyboard Ctrl+X
      ^!Document NEW

      <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
      "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
      <HTML>
      <HEAD>
      <TITLE>Montgomery County, Indiana</TITLE>
      <LINK rev="made" href="mailto:karen.zach@...">
      <META name="author" content="Karen Zach">
      <META name="generator" content="NoteTab Std 6.2">
      <META name="keywords" content="USGenWeb, InGenweb, Indiana, Montgomery,
      Crawfordsville, Waveland, Genealogy, family, surname">
      <META name="description" content="A genealogy website focused on
      Montgomery County, Indiana.">
      </HEAD>
      <BODY bgcolor="#008080" text="#000000" link="#0000FF" vlink="#800080"
      alink="#FF0000">
      <BR>

      ^&

      <BR>

      <P><FONT face="Courier New, Courier" size="+2" color="#000000">Return <A
      href="../../main.html" target="NEW">Montgomery County Page.</A><BR>
      Return <A href="../">to higher directory.</A><BR>
      <BR>
      <SCRIPT language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
      <!--

      function makeArray() {
      for (i = 0; i < makeArray.arguments.length; i++)
      this[i + 1] = makeArray.arguments[i];
      }

      var modifiedMonth = new makeArray('January','February','March','April',
      'May','June','July','August','September',
      'October','November','December');

      var modifiedDate = new Date(document.lastModified);

      document.write('Last Modified : ' +
      modifiedMonth[modifiedDate.getMonth() + 1] + ' ' +
      modifiedDate.getDate() + ', ' +
      modifiedDate.getFullYear());

      //-->
      </SCRIPT></FONT></P>
      <P><FONT face="Courier New, Courier" size="+2" color="#000000">©
      2012, <A href="mailto:karen.zach@...">Karen Zach</A></FONT></P>
      </BODY>
      </HTML>