Re: [Clip] Re: Pre-release of NoteTab 7.0 available

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 16, 2012
      Hi Wizcrafts,

      > I tried the new version with the switch you suggested and found that
      > the line is facing the wrong direction!
      >
      > \RawUTF8 should be /RawUTF8

      Sorry about that. It was late and I was very tired.

      > Thinking I had found the solution to the codepage problem I opened
      > another file that contains the actual full UTF subjects for several
      > spam messages that decode when opened in an email client. To my
      > dismay, although the characters were displayed more or less the same
      > as NP++, they were not decoded into readable words, which both NP and
      > NP++ rendered correctly.

      But that's absolutely normal if you choose to use the /RawUTF8. The
      purpose of that switch is to open and display the file in raw format. If
      I understood correctly, that's precisely what Axel wanted.

      And as I explained in some earlier mails, NP++ and MS Notepad, use a
      Unicode input control. NoteTab, however, uses an ANSI input control.

      The advantage of a Unicode input control is that it can correctly
      display all UTF-8 and Unicode-16 characters. NoteTab can also open UTF-8
      and Unicode-16 files, but will only render all characters correctly if
      they fit within a code page -- this is the case with the vast majority
      of such documents. However, NoteTab is not suited for those few
      documents that have characters spanning over more than one code page.

      The advantage of NoteTab's ANSI input control is that text takes up half
      as much memory space as required by Unicode editors. The other advantage
      is that many intensive text-processing tasks are much faster in NoteTab
      than in a Unicode editor.

      What does this mean? Well, for the vast majority of users (those who do
      not need to edit special Unicode files), NoteTab ensure they have more
      free memory available for other programs -- even when editing a large
      number of big files. And they get things done faster in NoteTab thanks
      to its highly optimized and fast code.

      > Aside from this encoding problem, I like everything else about the
      > program. I use NT Pro every day for writing and editing HTML, CSS and
      > JS files. It is only for spam filters using strange coding that I had
      > to use a different program.

      I understand. And in that case it does make sense to use a Unicode editor.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/