Re: [Clip] Beginner question on Clip search

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2012
      On 4/6/2012 4:51 PM, Celtics2000 wrote:
      > Hi!
      >
      > At the very end of a document(past all of the text)I want to create a Clip to find the nearest non-whitespace character BEFORE it.
      >
      > After reading the help I thought this would be the code.
      >
      > ^!FIND \S RB
      >
      > It still searches forward. I thought the B was supposed to reverse it. What am I doing wrong?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Cliff

      Cliff,

      In the command ^!FIND \S RB, the R denotes regex and the B denotes
      backward search, I believe you'll find that regex does not search
      backward.

      ¤• JD#...97 - ¤• SL...772 - 12.04.06~09.49.04

      • In Only 30 Years...
      • 1977:> Acid Rock
      • 2007:> Acid Reflux

      € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
    • Don
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2012
        Regular expressions only work forwards. That particular thing is not
        possible to be done that way.

        However you can do a multi-line search finding everything up to the last
        white space.

        > After reading the help I thought this would be the code.
        >
        > ^!FIND \S RB
        >
        > It still searches forward. I thought the B was supposed to reverse it. What am I doing wrong?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Cliff
      • diodeom
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2012
          Celtics2000 wrote:

          > Hi!
          >
          > At the very end of a document(past all of the text)I want to create a Clip to find the nearest non-whitespace character BEFORE it.

          Try the following:

          ^!Find ""\S(?=\s*+\Z)" WRS

          The parenthesized section is a look-ahead (to exclude its target from capture):

          \S -- non-whitespace char
          (?= -- ahead of...
          \s*+ -- any number of whitespace
          \Z -- at the end

          Dio
        • diodeom
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2012
            I wrote:

            > ^!Find ""\S(?=\s*+\Z)" WRS

            Sorry, an extra quotation mark sneaked up on me. It should be:

            ^!Find "\S(?=\s*+\Z)" WRS
          • Celtics2000
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 10, 2012
              Thanks all for your help!

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Celtics2000" <cliffsss@...> wrote:

              > Hi!
              >
              > At the very end of a document(past all of the text)I want to create a Clip to find the nearest non-whitespace character BEFORE it.
              >
              > After reading the help I thought this would be the code.
              >
              > ^!FIND \S RB
              >
              > It still searches forward. I thought the B was supposed to reverse it. What am I doing wrong?
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > Cliff

            • Celtics2000
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 11, 2012
                This is working great! I cannot thank you enough!