Re: Pre-release of NoteTab 7.0 available

  • Wizcrafts
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 5, 2012
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:

      > Hi Axel,
      >
      > > Eric Fookes wrote:
      > >> NoteTab will handle UTF-8 text just fine as long as all the characters
      > >> belong to a single code page.
      > >
      > > Which means, more or less, it doesn't really handle UTF-8 at all.
      >
      > I think this is a slight exaggeration. Having personally analyzed a
      > large number of UTF-8 files, I found that the vast majority could safely
      > be translated to ANSI and back without any data loss. In other words,
      > NoteTab could handle them fine.
      >
      > > The
      > > whole point of UTF was and is to escape from the old code-page limits.
      >
      > You're quite right. But most people create documents that fit nicely
      > within the code-page limits. And therefore work fine in NoteTab.

      > > do not mind NoteTab not being a UTF editor, it fits my needs fine, but
      > > those half baked pseudo-capabilities really annoy. I may well need to go
      > > back to version 5.8.
      >
      > Update #3 has a new command-line switch for you to test:
      > NotePro.exe \RawUTF8
      >
      > It skips the UTF-8 to ANSI conversion. I must admit I haven't had time
      > to test it yet.
      >
      > > The worst real limit, after NoteTab has grown from a humble little HTML
      > > editor of its beginning to the universal tool it now is, is the hard
      > > coded highlighting.
      >
      > I'm still hoping to add some minor improvements the the HTML
      > highlighting before v7 final...
      >
      > --
      > Regards,
      >
      > Eric Fookes
      > http://www.fookes.com/

      Eric;
      I tried the new version with the switch you suggested and found that the line is facing the wrong direction!

      \RawUTF8
      should be
      /RawUTF8

      Having overcome this speedbump, I opened NT 7 b3 using that switch (required granting admin password to change properties of link!) and dropped in the file containing the misspelled V word. The characters displayed in the default settings showed nothing but question marks.

      I played around with different font faces until I discovered that there are just two fonts that do display the letters correctly: Segoe UI and Tahoma.

      Thinking I had found the solution to the codepage problem I opened another file that contains the actual full UTF subjects for several spam messages that decode when opened in an email client. To my dismay, although the characters were displayed more or less the same as NP++, they were not decoded into readable words, which both NP and NP++ rendered correctly.

      This forum does not render the letters correctly, so it's a waste of time pasting them here. If you are interested in seeing the actual text I am referring to, I have taken two screen captures and can send them to you as jpg images. That way I am guaranteed that we both see the same letters.

      FYI: The NP++ program has an Encoding menu item. The setting I had to use to get it to display both the original letters and decoded words, is named "UTF-8 without BOM" and the status bar reads: "ANSI as UTF-8"

      Aside from this encoding problem, I like everything else about the program. I use NT Pro every day for writing and editing HTML, CSS and JS files. It is only for spam filters using strange coding that I had to use a different program.
    • Eric Fookes
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 16, 2012
        Hi Wizcrafts,

        > I tried the new version with the switch you suggested and found that
        > the line is facing the wrong direction!
        >
        > \RawUTF8 should be /RawUTF8

        Sorry about that. It was late and I was very tired.

        > Thinking I had found the solution to the codepage problem I opened
        > another file that contains the actual full UTF subjects for several
        > spam messages that decode when opened in an email client. To my
        > dismay, although the characters were displayed more or less the same
        > as NP++, they were not decoded into readable words, which both NP and
        > NP++ rendered correctly.

        But that's absolutely normal if you choose to use the /RawUTF8. The
        purpose of that switch is to open and display the file in raw format. If
        I understood correctly, that's precisely what Axel wanted.

        And as I explained in some earlier mails, NP++ and MS Notepad, use a
        Unicode input control. NoteTab, however, uses an ANSI input control.

        The advantage of a Unicode input control is that it can correctly
        display all UTF-8 and Unicode-16 characters. NoteTab can also open UTF-8
        and Unicode-16 files, but will only render all characters correctly if
        they fit within a code page -- this is the case with the vast majority
        of such documents. However, NoteTab is not suited for those few
        documents that have characters spanning over more than one code page.

        The advantage of NoteTab's ANSI input control is that text takes up half
        as much memory space as required by Unicode editors. The other advantage
        is that many intensive text-processing tasks are much faster in NoteTab
        than in a Unicode editor.

        What does this mean? Well, for the vast majority of users (those who do
        not need to edit special Unicode files), NoteTab ensure they have more
        free memory available for other programs -- even when editing a large
        number of big files. And they get things done faster in NoteTab thanks
        to its highly optimized and fast code.

        > Aside from this encoding problem, I like everything else about the
        > program. I use NT Pro every day for writing and editing HTML, CSS and
        > JS files. It is only for spam filters using strange coding that I had
        > to use a different program.

        I understand. And in that case it does make sense to use a Unicode editor.

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/