Pre-release #2 of NoteTab 7.0 available

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27, 2012
      Hi everyone,

      I'm have just uploaded a new pre-release of NoteTab Light and NoteTab
      Pro Trial version 7.0.

      Here's a list of the main changes since the first pre-release:

      * Added real-time word count feature, with a choice between two counting
      methods. The feature is controlled through the View|Word Count submenu
      and the word count is displayed in the status bar next to the Ins/Ovr
      info panel. Word-count is based either on selected text or the whole
      document (or topic with Outlines). This feature is not available in
      NoteTab Light (unless you enable trial mode).

      The MS Word method returns a count that should be a close match to the
      word-count result in Microsoft Word. The NoteTab method is more
      sophisticated and counts words using a more extensive set of word
      delimiters. MS Word mostly counts words delimited by space characters.
      In the following examples, MS Word counts one word per line whereas
      NoteTab counts three words in each:
      info@...
      http://fookes.com/
      help-me-please
      2x10x250

      * When the real-time word-count feature is enabled, you can click on the
      corresponding panel in the status bar to see more detailed text
      statistics. You will see the word count based on the NoteTab method, the
      average number of characters per word, the number of sentences, and the
      average number of words per sentence. This information is particularly
      valuable to copywriters, bloggers and journalists.

      * Added new Bootstrap library, Clipbar and templates. Bootstrap, from
      Twitter, is a fantastic collection of CSS and HTML for rapidly
      developing professional-looking web sites. For more information, visit
      the official Bootstrap website through this link:
      http://www.notetab.com/redir/Bootstrap

      * Added new Clip function to count the number of words in a string:
      ^$StrWordCount("Str"[;Method])$
      Method = MsWord or NoteTab

      * Updated Clip functions to support regular expressions and wildcards:
      ^$StrCount("SubStr";"Str"[;Options])$
      ^$StrPos("SubStr";"Str"[;Options])$
      ^$StrReplace("SubStr";"Str"[;Options])$

      C: Searches for whole words only.
      I: Ignores character case.
      R: Specifies that the search criteria represents a regular expression.
      *: Specifies that the search criteria uses wildcards.
      A: Use to replace all matched occurrences with ^$StrReplace. When this
      option is not used, only the first match is replaced.

      * Fixed issue in ^$GetDateToInt[(Date;DateFilter)]$ function that failed
      when date filter did not exactly match date pattern. Example:
      ^$GetDateToInt(2012-3-27;yyyy-m-d)$

      * Fixed an issue with ^$GetDocumentPath$ and the %NtbDocuments% token
      failing to use the user-defined default directories.

      * Fixed errors in the Clip Assistant.

      * Fixed an issue in the Modify | Block | Cut feature that failed to work
      if only the last character column was selected.

      If you would like to try NoteTab 7 and provide feedback before the final
      version is released, use the download links below:

      NoteTab Light 7 (freeware)
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/NoteTab_Light_Setup.exe

      NoteTab Pro 7 (30-day trial version)
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/NotePro_Trial_Setup.exe

      You can safely install the trial version of NoteTab Pro 7 alongside your
      paid version of NoteTab Pro 6. Just make sure you don't install it in
      the same folder!

      I look forward to reading your comments and feedback.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • diodeom
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 28, 2012
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:

        > * Updated Clip functions to support regular expressions and wildcards:
        > ^$StrCount("SubStr";"Str"[;Options])$
        > ^$StrPos("SubStr";"Str"[;Options])$
        > ^$StrReplace("SubStr";"Str"[;Options])$

        > C: Searches for whole words only.
        > I: Ignores character case.
        > R: Specifies that the search criteria represents a regular expression.
        > *: Specifies that the search criteria uses wildcards.
        > A: Use to replace all matched occurrences with ^$StrReplace. When this
        > option is not used, only the first match is replaced.

        Wow. I'm elated by the introduction of regex support in ^$StrReplace()$. Thank you, Eric, for granting my primary wish!

        I notice that absence of option A doesn't seem to prevent swapping of all matches. For example, if the task were to replace only the first occurence of repeated characters:

        ^!Set %x%=foo bar baa
        ^!Set %x%=^$StrReplace("(.)\1";"$1";"^%x%";R)$
        ^!Prompt ^%x%

        My output* is "fo bar ba" instead of anticipated "fo bar baa." Plain literal replacements don't heed the absence of A for me either. I wonder if anyone has diferrent experience.

        Dio

        */ It's besides the point that I can get the desired result in this sample by anchoring the search pattern to the beginning with something like "^.*?\K(.)\1"
      • Don
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28, 2012
          Wish I was as smart as Dio but I'll keep trying :-) Great improvement.

          What I would like as my primary wish is to be able to expand the search
          box so that I can see my entire Regular Expression. I can make it
          screen width, but not multiline (a wrapping text box in other words
          would be very nice so that when I use Dio's work I can see it all.

          On 3/28/2012 10:21 AM, diodeom wrote:
          > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> * Updated Clip functions to support regular expressions and wildcards:
          >> ^$StrCount("SubStr";"Str"[;Options])$
          >> ^$StrPos("SubStr";"Str"[;Options])$
          >> ^$StrReplace("SubStr";"Str"[;Options])$

        • flo.gehrke
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 29, 2012
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "diodeom" <diomir@...> wrote:

            > Wow. I'm elated by the introduction of regex support in
            > ^$StrReplace()$. Thank you, Eric, for granting my primary wish!
            > I notice that absence of option A doesn't seem to prevent swapping
            > of all matches. For example, if the task were to replace only the
            > first occurence of repeated characters:
            >
            > ^!Set %x%=foo bar baa
            > ^!Set %x%=^$StrReplace("(.)\1";"$1";"^%x%";R)$
            > ^!Prompt ^%x%
            >
            > My output* is "fo bar ba" instead of anticipated "fo bar baa."

            It's the same issue with wildcards. For example, test...

            ^!Info ^$StrReplace("a*";"000";"aaa bbb ccc aaa bbb ccc";*)$

            Since '*' should match 0 or more WORD characters, I expect '000 bbb ccc aaa bbb ccc'. The clip, however, returns '000 bbb ccc 000 bbb ccc' which should happen only if 'A' was set.

            Also, the new ^$StrReplace$ doesn't seem to output any error messages in case it contains a RegEx syntax error. You may test it with...

            ^!Info ^$StrReplace("a\K+b";"c";"ab";R)$

            The clip returns 'ab' whereas it should return 'Regex error: nothing to repeat' since '\K' can't be repeated.

            Nevertheless, combining more string functions with RegEx is a great improvement! Bravo, Eric! It just needs some more fine-tuning...

            So far, it hasn't been made quite clear -- but I've got the impression that NT 7.0 also accepts the old syntax of ^$StrReplace$, isn't it?

            Flo
          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4, 2012
              Hi Dio,

              > Wow. I'm elated by the introduction of regex support in
              > ^$StrReplace()$. Thank you, Eric, for granting my primary wish!

              You're welcome :)

              > I notice that absence of option A doesn't seem to prevent swapping of
              > all matches. For example, if the task were to replace only the first
              > occurence of repeated characters:
              >
              > ^!Set %x%=foo bar baa ^!Set %x%=^$StrReplace("(.)\1";"$1";"^%x%";R)$
              > ^!Prompt ^%x%
              >
              > My output* is "fo bar ba" instead of anticipated "fo bar baa." Plain
              > literal replacements don't heed the absence of A for me either.

              This issue is now fixed in update #3.

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/