Pre-release of NoteTab 7.0 available

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 21, 2012
      Hi everyone,

      I'm pleased to announce to you the availability of a pre-release version
      of NoteTab 7.0 -- at last! :)

      Here's a list of the main changes since version 6.2:

      * Under Windows 32-bit with the /3GB option and Windows x64, NoteTab can
      now allocate resources past the 2GB address limit when needed (up to 4 GB).

      * Added support for wildcard searching in find/replace tools. This
      feature is not available in NoteTab Light (unless you enable trial
      mode). The following tokens are provided:

      * = matches 0 or more word characters. Example: "jo*" matches "JO",
      "John", "Jody", "joint", "join_leave".

      # = matches 0 or more word characters, including HTML entity
      characters. Example: "na#" matches "naïve", "naïve", and "naïve".

      ** = matches 0 or more characters and can span across words within a
      line. Example: "click**link" matches "click link", "click on link",
      "clicking on link", "Click on this link", but not "click on links".

      ? = matches exactly one word character. Example: "jo?" matches "Job"
      and "jot", but not "JO", "John", "Jody", and "joint".

      ~ = matches 0 or one word characters. Example: "jo~" matches "JO",
      "Job", and "jot", but not "John", "Jody", and "joint".

      & = matches exactly one word character or one HTML entity. Example:
      "caf&" matches "café", "café", and "café".
      Word characters include alphanumeric characters, all extended ANSI
      characters, as well as "_".

      To search with wildcard tokens, select the Wildcards option in the
      Search drop-down list. Choose Standard for literal searching and
      "Regular Exp." for searching with regular expressions.

      The ^!Find and ^!Replace Clip commands also support wildcard searching.
      Use "*" as an option parameter. The following example searches for words
      that end in "tab":
      ^!FIND "*tab" C*

      * Added new HTML-CSS and HTML-AutoReplace libraries and Clipbar, which
      include support for HTML5 and CSS3. They replace the following outdated
      files (note that these are not uninstalled by NoteTab):
      HTML.clb
      HTML-ar.clb
      CSS1.clb
      HTML-1.ctb
      HTML-2.ctb
      CSS1.ctb

      * Added two new web page templates (Web page.tpl and Web page HTML5.tpl)
      to replace the following outdated files (note that these are not
      uninstalled by NoteTab):
      HTML.tpl
      CSS1.tpl

      * Updated the regular expressions engine to the latest release, which is
      based on PCRE 8.30.

      * A confirmation dialog box is now displayed when the Close All menu
      command is used.

      * The Find and Replace dialog boxes now show search results in a balloon
      (unless you are using Blind-User mode) instead of a message box. This
      speeds up you work as you no longer need to click on the message box OK
      button to close it.

      * The "Search Disk.fvr" Favorites file created after a Search Disk
      operation now removes the maximum limit of 65 files.

      * Program file is now code signed to reduce the risk of anti-virus false
      positives.

      * Fixed printing issue whereby last page or pages failed to print.

      * Fixed issue with "Save Directory" setting being ignored under the "Use
      Default Directories" option.

      * Fixed issue with "Disk Files" option in "Quick List" when "Show Full
      Names" option is turned off.

      * Fixed issue when pasting text with non-Windows line breaks into
      NoteTab Pro.

      * Partially fixed issue with disappearing Clip wizard labels under
      Windows 7 (though the problem does reappear if you hit the Alt key).

      * Fixed issue when comparing negative integer values in Clips.

      * Fixed issue in ^$GetDate(Date Mask;+/-days)$ function when using the
      "+/-days" parameter.

      * Some other minor improvements and issues fixed.

      * Updated documentation.

      There are still a couple of features missing from the pre-release
      copies. I'll save them as a surprise for later... <g>

      The price for NoteTab Pro 7 will be increased to $39.95 (sorry about
      that). The new pricing is necessary to make NoteTab financially viable
      again. Registered users will benefit from a 50% upgrade discount.
      Customers who purchased NoteTab this year will be entitled to a free
      upgrade.

      NoteTab Std will no longer be sold as a separate product, but will be
      included with NoteTab Pro. However, it will be available for free as a
      single product through TrialPay.

      If you would like to try NoteTab 7 and provide feedback before the final
      version is released, use the download links below:

      NoteTab Light 7 (freeware)
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/NoteTab_Light_Setup.exe

      NoteTab Pro 7 (30-day trial version)
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/NotePro_Trial_Setup.exe

      You can safely install the trial version of NoteTab Pro 7 alongside your
      paid version of NoteTab Pro 6. Just make sure you don't install it in
      the same folder!

      I do hope you will like this new release, even though the program
      interface hasn't changed. A lot of work has gone into it, and as I said
      earlier, there are still a couple of surprises to come...

      I look forward to reading your comments and feedback.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • Wizcrafts
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 22, 2012
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I'm pleased to announce to you the availability of a pre-release
        version
        > of NoteTab 7.0 -- at last! :)
        >
        > Here's a list of the main changes since version 6.2:

        Eric;
        I am a licensed user of NoteTab Pro and have been for years.

        Today, I tried out the light version to see what has changed (Don't want
        to have to reinstall existing v6.2 Pro). I was very sad to see that
        NoteTab 7 could not display UTF-8 extended and foreign characters at
        all. I write spam filters for MailWasher users and NoteTab still cannot
        work with certain character sets.

        Here is an example of a purposely misspelled spam word which I created a
        filter for. I had to use a different UTF-8 capable text editor to edit
        the files containing this word, because NT 6.2 cannot display these
        characters.
        <code>

        ⋁ἲấġբẚ

        </code>
        Astoundingly, even Windows own Notepad is able to properly display this
        extended characters word. Why is NoteTab unable to do so? Will you be
        adding support for this type of text in the next version, when it goes
        gold?

        Wiz - aka: Wizcrafts

      • Piotr
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 22, 2012
          Hi Wiz,

          I believe that if you switch the font to a specific regional setting, you
          will be able to display the characters correctly.
          This is a less optimum solution compared to a competing product (UE) which
          I also use, but it still works.

          On a side note, I still have some clips written more than 10 years ago :-)
          Computers get recycled, clips stay :-)

          Regards,

          Piotr

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 22, 2012
            Piotr wrote:
            > if you switch the font to a specific regional setting,

            Maybe, but if i do that, what is the advantage of UTF-8? I can do that
            fine with 8-bit characters, that's what these code pages are for.

            Axel
          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 27, 2012
              Hi Wiz,

              Thanks for your comments. See my reply in context below...

              > Today, I tried out the light version to see what has changed (Don't want
              > to have to reinstall existing v6.2 Pro). I was very sad to see that
              > NoteTab 7 could not display UTF-8 extended and foreign characters at
              > all. I write spam filters for MailWasher users and NoteTab still cannot
              > work with certain character sets.

              NoteTab will handle UTF-8 text just fine as long as all the characters
              belong to a single code page. To enable support beyond that requires a
              Unicode editor.

              As I have explained in an earlier email, converting the current NoteTab
              version to a Unicode program is a very difficult task. So much so that
              it is simpler to rewrite a new NoteTab from scratch -- which I have
              done. Unfortunately, it's far from finished and I've had to put
              development on hold for the time being.

              > Astoundingly, even Windows own Notepad is able to properly display this
              > extended characters word. Why is NoteTab unable to do so? Will you be
              > adding support for this type of text in the next version, when it goes
              > gold?

              Creating a Notepad clone with full support for Unicode is very easy. It
              would take me less than 5 minutes to do so. But NoteTab is so much more
              than that, don't you think?

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 28, 2012
                Eric Fookes wrote:
                > NoteTab will handle UTF-8 text just fine as long as all the characters
                > belong to a single code page.

                Which means, more or less, it doesn't really handle UTF-8 at all. The
                whole point of UTF was and is to escape from the old code-page limits. I
                do not mind NoteTab not being a UTF editor, it fits my needs fine, but
                those half baked pseudo-capabilities really annoy. I may well need to go
                back to version 5.8.

                > converting the current NoteTab
                > version to a Unicode program is a very difficult task.

                Agreed. And at least for me there are far more important things.
                Switching code pages and fonts to go with them would be nice to have. I
                could split texts into smaller parts with only one code page each. Both
                HTML through PHP or SSI and LaTeX through \input{} can easily build the
                complete document from those. Yes UTF would be the more modern and
                possibly better choice, but then either full UTF or nothing, no
                half-baked compromises.

                The worst real limit, after NoteTab has grown from a humble little HTML
                editor of its beginning to the universal tool it now is, is the hard
                coded highlighting.

                > Creating a Notepad clone with full support for Unicode is very easy. It
                > would take me less than 5 minutes to do so. But NoteTab is so much more
                > than that, don't you think?

                That is, more or less, what I'm saying. Keyboard shortcuts for running
                clips, not just menu items, are another desideratum.

                Axel
              • Eric Fookes
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2012
                  Hi Axel,

                  > Eric Fookes wrote:
                  >> NoteTab will handle UTF-8 text just fine as long as all the characters
                  >> belong to a single code page.
                  >
                  > Which means, more or less, it doesn't really handle UTF-8 at all.

                  I think this is a slight exaggeration. Having personally analyzed a
                  large number of UTF-8 files, I found that the vast majority could safely
                  be translated to ANSI and back without any data loss. In other words,
                  NoteTab could handle them fine.

                  > The
                  > whole point of UTF was and is to escape from the old code-page limits.

                  You're quite right. But most people create documents that fit nicely
                  within the code-page limits. And therefore work fine in NoteTab.

                  > do not mind NoteTab not being a UTF editor, it fits my needs fine, but
                  > those half baked pseudo-capabilities really annoy. I may well need to go
                  > back to version 5.8.

                  Update #3 has a new command-line switch for you to test:
                  NotePro.exe \RawUTF8

                  It skips the UTF-8 to ANSI conversion. I must admit I haven't had time
                  to test it yet.

                  > The worst real limit, after NoteTab has grown from a humble little HTML
                  > editor of its beginning to the universal tool it now is, is the hard
                  > coded highlighting.

                  I'm still hoping to add some minor improvements the the HTML
                  highlighting before v7 final...

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/
                • Wizcrafts
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5, 2012
                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Axel,
                    >
                    > > Eric Fookes wrote:
                    > >> NoteTab will handle UTF-8 text just fine as long as all the characters
                    > >> belong to a single code page.
                    > >
                    > > Which means, more or less, it doesn't really handle UTF-8 at all.
                    >
                    > I think this is a slight exaggeration. Having personally analyzed a
                    > large number of UTF-8 files, I found that the vast majority could safely
                    > be translated to ANSI and back without any data loss. In other words,
                    > NoteTab could handle them fine.
                    >
                    > > The
                    > > whole point of UTF was and is to escape from the old code-page limits.
                    >
                    > You're quite right. But most people create documents that fit nicely
                    > within the code-page limits. And therefore work fine in NoteTab.

                    > > do not mind NoteTab not being a UTF editor, it fits my needs fine, but
                    > > those half baked pseudo-capabilities really annoy. I may well need to go
                    > > back to version 5.8.
                    >
                    > Update #3 has a new command-line switch for you to test:
                    > NotePro.exe \RawUTF8
                    >
                    > It skips the UTF-8 to ANSI conversion. I must admit I haven't had time
                    > to test it yet.
                    >
                    > > The worst real limit, after NoteTab has grown from a humble little HTML
                    > > editor of its beginning to the universal tool it now is, is the hard
                    > > coded highlighting.
                    >
                    > I'm still hoping to add some minor improvements the the HTML
                    > highlighting before v7 final...
                    >
                    > --
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Eric Fookes
                    > http://www.fookes.com/

                    Eric;
                    I tried the new version with the switch you suggested and found that the line is facing the wrong direction!

                    \RawUTF8
                    should be
                    /RawUTF8

                    Having overcome this speedbump, I opened NT 7 b3 using that switch (required granting admin password to change properties of link!) and dropped in the file containing the misspelled V word. The characters displayed in the default settings showed nothing but question marks.

                    I played around with different font faces until I discovered that there are just two fonts that do display the letters correctly: Segoe UI and Tahoma.

                    Thinking I had found the solution to the codepage problem I opened another file that contains the actual full UTF subjects for several spam messages that decode when opened in an email client. To my dismay, although the characters were displayed more or less the same as NP++, they were not decoded into readable words, which both NP and NP++ rendered correctly.

                    This forum does not render the letters correctly, so it's a waste of time pasting them here. If you are interested in seeing the actual text I am referring to, I have taken two screen captures and can send them to you as jpg images. That way I am guaranteed that we both see the same letters.

                    FYI: The NP++ program has an Encoding menu item. The setting I had to use to get it to display both the original letters and decoded words, is named "UTF-8 without BOM" and the status bar reads: "ANSI as UTF-8"

                    Aside from this encoding problem, I like everything else about the program. I use NT Pro every day for writing and editing HTML, CSS and JS files. It is only for spam filters using strange coding that I had to use a different program.
                  • Eric Fookes
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 16, 2012
                      Hi Wizcrafts,

                      > I tried the new version with the switch you suggested and found that
                      > the line is facing the wrong direction!
                      >
                      > \RawUTF8 should be /RawUTF8

                      Sorry about that. It was late and I was very tired.

                      > Thinking I had found the solution to the codepage problem I opened
                      > another file that contains the actual full UTF subjects for several
                      > spam messages that decode when opened in an email client. To my
                      > dismay, although the characters were displayed more or less the same
                      > as NP++, they were not decoded into readable words, which both NP and
                      > NP++ rendered correctly.

                      But that's absolutely normal if you choose to use the /RawUTF8. The
                      purpose of that switch is to open and display the file in raw format. If
                      I understood correctly, that's precisely what Axel wanted.

                      And as I explained in some earlier mails, NP++ and MS Notepad, use a
                      Unicode input control. NoteTab, however, uses an ANSI input control.

                      The advantage of a Unicode input control is that it can correctly
                      display all UTF-8 and Unicode-16 characters. NoteTab can also open UTF-8
                      and Unicode-16 files, but will only render all characters correctly if
                      they fit within a code page -- this is the case with the vast majority
                      of such documents. However, NoteTab is not suited for those few
                      documents that have characters spanning over more than one code page.

                      The advantage of NoteTab's ANSI input control is that text takes up half
                      as much memory space as required by Unicode editors. The other advantage
                      is that many intensive text-processing tasks are much faster in NoteTab
                      than in a Unicode editor.

                      What does this mean? Well, for the vast majority of users (those who do
                      not need to edit special Unicode files), NoteTab ensure they have more
                      free memory available for other programs -- even when editing a large
                      number of big files. And they get things done faster in NoteTab thanks
                      to its highly optimized and fast code.

                      > Aside from this encoding problem, I like everything else about the
                      > program. I use NT Pro every day for writing and editing HTML, CSS and
                      > JS files. It is only for spam filters using strange coding that I had
                      > to use a different program.

                      I understand. And in that case it does make sense to use a Unicode editor.

                      Eric Fookes
                      http://www.fookes.com/