Re: [Clip] Do not "open" a file

  • Eb
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2012
      As Axel has already pointed out, renaming NoteTab.ini is better than deleting it.

      Even better is moving it elswhere, since NoteTab replaces the file, and to restore it to its prior state, moving the original back to the NoteTab folder will automatically overwrite the replacement (subect top an "are you sure" prompt).

      As to the original problem, one thing that has cause similar symptoms for me in the past has been an orphan NoteTab process, left behind because it did not close properly.

      To check for this, open the Windows Taskmanager (rightclick on an empty area of the taskbar), sort the processes by name, and see if you have too many NoteTab/NotePro processes running. Two is too many if NoteTab is running, One is too many if NoteTab is NOT running. If you got more than you need, first shut down all instances of NoteTab by closing them normally, then come back to the taskmanager, select any remaining NoteTab/NotePro process, and click the "End Process" button, answer yes to "are you sure?".

      Cheers,

      Eb

      > You could also rename <NotePro.ini> and if that should help (I doubt it)
      > try to find the offending entry in there. Deleting that file would
      > destroy a lot of valuable stuff.
    • John Wallace
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2012
        Most times I have something like that is when the file is being 'used' by another program, like windows explorer, Excel, maybe IE?
        With windows explorer it may be reading the E directory.
        Make sure you're not running some other program.

        John

        _____

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2012
          Eb wrote:
          > moving the original back to the NoteTab folder will automatically
          > overwrite the replacement (subect top an "are you sure" prompt).

          Yes, you're right. I use the Totalcommander for all these things and
          whenever I try to rename a file (back) to an already existing one, I'm
          asked "do you really want to overwrite ...". So I find it most ovious to
          have the *.inx right next to the *.ini.