What is the difference between ^$GetRow$ and ^$GetRowStart$

  • joy8388608
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 16, 2012
      I cannot find a difference between ^$GetRow$ and ^$GetRowStart$

      Does anyone know?

      Thanks,
      Joy
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 17, 2012
        Hi

        this is what you want from help

        ^$GetRow$ Returns line index of cursor in current document. Since v4.6: If
        some text is selected, then the beginning of the selection determines the
        line index.

        ^$GetRowEnd$ (added in v4.8) Returns the cursor line index the in current
        document. If some text is selected, then the end of the selection determines
        the line index.

        ^$GetRowStart$ (added in v4.8) Returns the cursor line index in the current
        document. If some text is selected, then the beginning of the selection
        determines the line index.

        THANKYOU DAVE M

        >I cannot find a difference between ^$GetRow$ and ^$GetRowStart$
        >
        > Does anyone know?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Joy

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 17, 2012
          Dave - I looked at the same HELP extract, looked at it again and
          realized I couldn't see any difference other than a minor one in the
          wording. I then tried this clip:

          ^!set %getrow%=^$getrow$
          ^!set %getrowstart%=^$getrowstart$
          ^!info getrow ^%getrow% getrowstart ^%getrowstart%

          and could not find any case (with or w/o an active selection) where they
          returned different values.

          Hypothesis: Eric added ^$GetRowStart$ in v84. for symmetry with new
          ^$GetRowEnd$ but left the earlier ^$GetRow$ for backwards compatability.

          On 2012-02-17 06:57, Dave wrote:
          > this is what you want from help
          >
          > ^$GetRow$ Returns line index of cursor in current document. Since
          > v4.6: If
          > some text is selected, then the beginning of the selection determines the
          > line index.
          >
          > ^$GetRowEnd$ (added in v4.8) Returns the cursor line index the in current
          > document. If some text is selected, then the end of the selection
          > determines
          > the line index.
          >
          > ^$GetRowStart$ (added in v4.8) Returns the cursor line index in the
          > current
          > document. If some text is selected, then the beginning of the selection
          > determines the line index.
          >
          > THANKYOU DAVE M

        • Eb
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 18, 2012
            Joy,

            This confusing situation stems from cursor movement WHILE SELECTING.

            GetRowEnd will always return the row of the END of the selection.
            GetRowStart will always return the START row of the selection.

            However, ^$GetRow$ returns the row where the cursor winds up at! This differs, depending on the direction you drag your cursor to select text.

            Suppose you select from letter e to the letter u, in the following two lines of text:

            abcdefghijkl
            mnopqrstuvwx

            Select FROM e TO u (left to right)
            or
            Select FROM u TO e (right to left)

            In the first case the cursor windws up after u.
            In the second case, the cursor winds up before e.

            Hope this clears it up.

            Eb

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 18, 2012
              Eb wrote:
              > However, ^$GetRow$ returns the row where the cursor winds up at!
              > This differs, depending on the direction you drag your cursor to
              > select text.

              According to my help file that's not true and ^$GetRow$ is in fact
              identical to ^$GetRowStart$.

              Axel
            • joy8388608
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 20, 2012
                Thanks for the reply but I get the same results for GetRow and GetRowStart no matter what I do including the test you provided, both selecting with mouse and with keys only. Did YOU actually test this and see a difference?

                Joy

                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Eb" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:

                > Joy,
                >
                > This confusing situation stems from cursor movement WHILE SELECTING.
                >
                > GetRowEnd will always return the row of the END of the selection.
                > GetRowStart will always return the START row of the selection.
                >
                > However, ^$GetRow$ returns the row where the cursor winds up at! This differs, depending on the direction you drag your cursor to select text.
                >

                > Suppose you select from letter e to the letter u, in the following two lines of text:
                >
                > abcdefghijkl
                > mnopqrstuvwx
                >
                > Select FROM e TO u (left to right)
                > or
                > Select FROM u TO e (right to left)
                >
                > In the first case the cursor windws up after u.
                > In the second case, the cursor winds up before e.
                >
                > Hope this clears it up.
                >
                > Eb
                >
                > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "joy8388608" <mycroftj@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I cannot find a difference between ^$GetRow$ and ^$GetRowStart$
                > >
                > > Does anyone know?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Joy

              • Eb
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 23, 2012
                  Yes I tested this.

                  The difference is the DIRECTION you drag from (left or right).

                  If you SELECT from the LEFT, your cursor winds up on the right, at the END of the selection.

                  Also, of course the selected text MUST span TWO lines, with a HARD carraiage return in between.

                  Eb

                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "joy8388608" <mycroftj@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the reply but I get the same results for GetRow and GetRowStart no matter what I do including the test you provided, both selecting with mouse and with keys only. Did YOU actually test this and see a difference?
                  >
                  > Joy
                  >

                  > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Eb" <ebbtidalflats@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Joy,
                  > >
                  > > This confusing situation stems from cursor movement WHILE SELECTING.
                  > >
                  > > GetRowEnd will always return the row of the END of the selection.
                  > > GetRowStart will always return the START row of the selection.
                  > >
                  > > However, ^$GetRow$ returns the row where the cursor winds up at! This differs, depending on the direction you drag your cursor to select text.
                  > >

                  > > Suppose you select from letter e to the letter u, in the following two lines of text:
                  > >
                  > > abcdefghijkl
                  > > mnopqrstuvwx
                  > >
                  > > Select FROM e TO u (left to right)
                  > > or
                  > > Select FROM u TO e (right to left)
                  > >
                  > > In the first case the cursor windws up after u.
                  > > In the second case, the cursor winds up before e.
                  > >
                  > > Hope this clears it up.
                  > >
                  > > Eb
                  > >
                  > > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "joy8388608" <mycroftj@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I cannot find a difference between ^$GetRow$ and ^$GetRowStart$
                  > > >
                  > > > Does anyone know?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks,
                  > > > Joy

                • flo.gehrke
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 24, 2012
                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Eb" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:

                    > The difference is the DIRECTION you drag from (left or right).
                    >
                    > If you SELECT from the LEFT, your cursor winds up on the right, at the END of the selection.
                    >
                    > Also, of course the selected text MUST span TWO lines, with a HARD carraiage return in between.
                    >
                    > Eb

                    Eb,

                    According with Joy (#22487) and Axel Berger (#22485), I still wonder what "difference" you are trying to describe.

                    Given the following two lines and selecting from 'apple' to 'banana':

                    xxx xxx apple xxx
                    xxx banana xxx.

                    When testing...

                    ^!Info GetRow: ^$GetRow$
                    ^!Info GetRowStart ^$GetRowStart$

                    ...both functions return the SAME line number -- NO matter if we select from 'apple' to 'banana' or from 'banana' to 'apple' (using NT Pro 6.2.).

                    I think Alec's hypothesis in message #22479 was right.

                    Regards,
                    Flo
                  • Eb
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 25, 2012
                      Hi Flo, Axel, Joy, and whoever else I caused to waste their time on this issue:

                      I just discovered, that you all were correct.
                      Err, and I was WRONG!

                      I appoliogize for leading you up the garden path without checkin for snakes first. I may have been influenced by my personal "investment" in the California wine industry.

                      For what it's worth, my personal definition file entry for GetRow must have been created before NoteTab 4.6, 'cause it just states

                      "^$GetRow$ Returns line index of cursor in current document."

                      whereas the current help adds

                      "Since v4.6: If some text is selected, then the beginning of the selection determines the line index."

                      And I never bothered to check my expectations (Color me embarrassed)!

                      So, GetRow = GetRowStart

                      Eb

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 25, 2012
                        Eb wrote:
                        > I may have been influenced by my personal "investment" in the
                        > California wine industry.

                        When vacationing your side of the pond I was surprised how good it was.
                        You're excused.

                        Axel
                      • joy8388608
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 25, 2012
                          That's quite all right. It happens to everyone and is always wonderously nice when someone bothers to admit it instead of leaving the issue open and confusing.