Tab settings lost after sort

  • joy8388608
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 16 7:04 PM
      NT Light ver 6.2 Windows 7

      I can't find any posts on a little problem I'm having in a clip in which doing a sort from the menu causes the document to be redisplayed without the tab settings applied.

      What's worse, if you go to doc properties where the (correct) settings still show, the only way I can find to have the tab settings take effect (again) is to make a change to the existing tab settings.

      Is this a bug and can everyone reproduce this?

      Joy
    • Gerard Huijing
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 17 1:00 AM
        Is it in any way possible that the 'IMPORTANT' notice for NTB Std and
        Lite users
        menu View | Options | Documents -> Click on Help button in this tab
        is relevant to you problem?

        Cheers,
        Gerard

        --
        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
        2312 ZD Leiden
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 17 1:02 AM
          To answer your question you need to post your code.

          A possible workaround to try: force a reload of the NTB's ini file using
          ^!SetIniFile.
          If NTB is smart enough to know that it is already loaded, set it to a dummy
          and then reset it back to the original:

          ^!Set %usrini%=^$GetIniFile$
          ^!SetIniFile <dummy_ini_file>.ini
          ^!SetIniFile ^%usrini%

          Art

          At 2/16/2012 07:04 PM, Joy wrote:
          >NT Light ver 6.2 Windows 7
          >I can't find any posts on a little problem I'm having in a clip in which
          >doing a sort from the menu causes the document to be redisplayed without
          >the tab settings applied.
          >
          >What's worse, if you go to doc properties where the (correct) settings
          >still show, the only way I can find to have the tab settings take effect
          >(again) is to make a change to the existing tab settings.
          >
          >Is this a bug and can everyone reproduce this?
        • jeff
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 17 8:41 AM
            On 2/17/2012 1:02 AM, Art Kocsis wrote:

            > To answer your question you need to post your code.
            >
            > A possible workaround to try: force a reload of the NTB's ini file using
            > ^!SetIniFile.
            > If NTB is smart enough to know that it is already loaded, set it to a
            > dummy
            > and then reset it back to the original:
            >
            > ^!Set %usrini%=^$GetIniFile$
            > ^!SetIniFile <dummy_ini_file>.ini
            > ^!SetIniFile ^%usrini%
            >
            > Art
            >
            > At 2/16/2012 07:04 PM, Joy wrote:
            > >NT Light ver 6.2 Windows 7
            > >I can't find any posts on a little problem I'm having in a clip in which
            > >doing a sort from the menu causes the document to be redisplayed without
            > >the tab settings applied.
            > >
            > >What's worse, if you go to doc properties where the (correct) settings
            > >still show, the only way I can find to have the tab settings take effect
            > >(again) is to make a change to the existing tab settings.
            > >
            > >Is this a bug and can everyone reproduce this?

            I have always had to use the toolbar and load document default tab
            settings (After changing them in settings). When I look at tabulated
            text I like to see the columns line up so I set tabs at 25 spaces.

          • paulmaser
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 18 7:34 AM
              After copying two lines into a variable, I would like to parse the variable by line into two variables. Is it possible to parse a variable using at the line feed?
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 18 7:49 AM
                paulmaser wrote:
                > After copying two lines into a variable, I would like to parse
                > the variable by line into two variables. Is it possible to parse
                > a variable using at the line feed?

                ^!Set %lines%="First line here^%NL%Second line there"
                ^!SetListDelimiter ^P
                ^!SetArray %alines%="^%lines%"
                ^!Set %firstline%=^%alines1%
                ^!Set %secondline%=^%alines2%
                ^!Continue ^%firstline% ^%secondline%

                You could do away with the array by looping
                ^$StrPos("SubStr";"Str";CaseSensitive)$
                ^$StrCopyLeft("Str";Amount)$ (added in v4.82)
                ^$StrDeleteLeft("Str";Amount)$ (added in v4.82)

                Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
              • Eb
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 18 3:23 PM
                  As usual, there is more than one way to solve a problem.

                  When you copy the two lines into a variable, make that variable a EOL delimited array:

                  ^!SetListDelimiter ^%nl%
                  ^!SetArray %bothlines%=^$GetSelection$

                  The array automatically has split the lines at the EOL (end of Line).
                  So assign the individual array elements to the target variables,
                  ---OR--- just use the array elements directly for whatever your goal is:

                  ^!Set %lineone%=^%bothlines1%
                  ^!Set %linetwo%=^%bothlines2%

                  ---or---

                  ^!(Process) ^%bothlines1%
                  ^!(Process) ^%bothlines2%

                  Either solution will also tackle more than two lines, as long as you keep track of which line is which.

                  Read up on variables in Help with clip code, "Variables"

                  Cheers

                  Eb

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 18 5:56 PM
                    Axel and Eb;
                    Thanks for the help.
                    It has been awhile since I used arrays, but this is a great way to solve the problem. Also the use of "^$StrPos" was something I never knew, though I spent a some time in the clip help files before posting.
                    Thanks again;
                    Paul
                  • joy8388608
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 20 11:57 AM
                      Sorry, but I am not seeing anything that applies to my question here.
                      Is it in any way possible that you help me understand and explain it?
                      Thanks,
                      Joy

                      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> wrote:

                      > Is it in any way possible that the 'IMPORTANT' notice for NTB Std and
                      > Lite users
                      > menu View | Options | Documents -> Click on Help button in this tab
                      > is relevant to you problem?
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Gerard
                      >

                      > On 17-2-2012 4:04, joy8388608 wrote:
                      > > NT Light ver 6.2 Windows 7
                      > >
                      > > I can't find any posts on a little problem I'm having in a clip in which
                      > > doing a sort from the menu causes the document to be redisplayed without
                      > > the tab settings applied.
                      > >
                      > > What's worse, if you go to doc properties where the (correct) settings
                      > > still show, the only way I can find to have the tab settings take effect
                      > > (again) is to make a change to the existing tab settings.
                      > >
                      > > Is this a bug and can everyone reproduce this?
                      > >
                      > > Joy
                      >

                      > --
                      > Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                      > 2312 ZD Leiden
                      > Netherlands
                      > inboxgen@...

                    • joy8388608
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 20 12:08 PM
                        Sure. My clip code is
                        ^!ToolBar Sort Ascending

                        but the same thing happens manually from the toolbar.

                        I tried your code but it did nothing.

                        It doesn't seem right that just doing a sort would cause the newly sorted lines to suddenly display without regard for the currently set tabs.

                        Another note which is surprising but may or may not be called a bug is that changing the tab settings does not make the document 'unsaved'

                        Joy

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 20 5:22 PM
                          On 2/20/2012 12:08 PM, joy8388608 wrote:
                          > Another note which is surprising but may or may not be called a bug is
                          > that changing the tab settings does not make the document 'unsaved'
                          >
                          > Joy
                          The Tab spacing is a system setting for notetab, a Tab is a Tab Is a
                          Tab. The setting is not a change to the document but a change to the
                          display properties ONLY

                          --

                          __

                          Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                          Due to increased JUNK emails at a rate of over 300 per hour, I am filtering all suspected JUNK/Spam directly to DELETE.

                          http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/
                        • Gerard Huijing
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 21 8:42 AM
                            On 20-2-2012 20:57, joy8388608 wrote:
                            > Sorry, but I am not seeing anything that applies to my question here.
                            > Is it in any way possible that you help me understand and explain it?

                            The Help file on Document Properties gives two ´important´ (all caps)
                            caveats for Std and Lite users regarding changing some of those
                            properties and how these changes are updated.
                            In the Std and Light versions of NTB one has to do something extra, as
                            compared to NTB Pro.
                            I thought that this might have some bearing on how one processes a file
                            in a clip.

                            I apologise if I lead you up the garden path, but my question was just a
                            question.

                            Cheers,
                            Gerard

                            --