RE: [Clip] Switch to new doc with same content

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2012
      Nope, it appends .txt to the doc, so its name is name.txt.txt, and that's fine for what I need. It is a throwaway file
      anyway, ultimately. Not that I don't have senior moments, though :-(

      I did add one line to close the new file in case it was open, then got modified.
      ^!Set %NewFile%=^$GetDocName$.txt
      ^!Close %NewFile% discard

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 9, 2012
        Your solution is brief, but it changes the cursor position, if that is important.

        Theoretically (I havn't tested this), you could use:

        ^!CopyFile "^$GetDocName$" "^$GetDocName$.txt"
        ^!Open "^$GetDocName$.txt"

        to achieve the same effect, without involving the cursor.
        In either case, NoteTab may have to wait for the operating system to actually write the file copy to disk.

        By the way, appending .txt may not exclusively identify the file as temporary. You _could_ use ".tmp" to make that clear.

        Cheers,

        Eb

        > I found a solution that seems to work. Not sure if it's the most straightforward way to do it, but it works.
        > In case anyone else needs something like that:
        > ^!Set %NewFile%=^$GetDocName$.txt
        > ^!Select ALL
        > ^!TextToFile "^%NewFile%" ^$GetSelection$
        > ^!Open "^%NewFile%"
        >
        > Regards,
        > John

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 9, 2012
          Thanks, Eb, that looks good too. I'd add a save first, in case it was modified beforehand. I like the idea of .tmp too.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 9, 2012
            Eb wrote:
            > You _could_ use ".tmp" to make that clear.

            I like using the standard Temp-folder too:

            ^$ExpandEnv("%temp%")$\^$GetName(^$GetDocName$)$.tmp

            Note the backslash: While NotTab paths always end in a backslash, DOS
            paths don't.

            Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 9, 2012
              John Shotsky wrote:
              > I'd add a save first, in case it was modified beforehand.

              You could top that by closing and ^!OpenReadOnly

              Open the old file first and the new one last, so the new, temporary one
              is in focus.

              Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
            • anachromat
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2012

                > I found a solution that seems to work. Not sure if it's
                > the most straightforward way to do it, but it works.
                > In case anyone else needs something like that:
                > ^!Set %NewFile%=^$GetDocName$.txt
                > ^!Select ALL
                > ^!TextToFile "^%NewFile%" ^$GetSelection$
                > ^!Open "^%NewFile%"

                Try replacing the middle two lines with:

                ^!TextToFile "^%NewFile%" ^$GetText$

                Here are the docs for GetText: "Returns the whole text contained in the active document."