Switch to new doc with same content

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2012
      There must be an easier way to do this, but I haven't found a way yet.

      I have an open document, and some test tells me it needs to be cloned, and further operations performed on the clone,
      leaving the original untouched. If the clone exists, it should be overwritten, without any user interaction.

      So, I start with doc1.txt, and due to some test in a clip, it is decided that the processing should be done on
      doc1-1.txt, which may or may not already exist. If it does exist, it is to be replaced automatically. The open document
      is in the focus, so essentially, this is the process:
      Copy all the text on this document (or select it, or send to clipboard or ??)
      Paste all the text to doc1-1.txt, open and focus on doc1-1.txt
      Doc1.txt stays open, but not in focus.

      Help tells me this is the command to use. I can generate the filename, by adding the -1 to it, but I am not sure how to
      specify the text. Essentially, I'm looking for a 'FileToFile' command with no prompting.
      ^!TextToFile "FileName" AnyText
      Creates a disk file containing the specified text. If a file with such a name already exists on disk, it will be
      replaced by the new file.

      How do I identify that the text is the text in the current document? I know I could do this using Save As, but then I
      have to be careful about files that already exist, and my current document gets closed, both of which I'm trying to
      avoid. I assume that once created, doc1-1.txt would have to be opened, which would give it the focus, so that's no
      problem.

      Thanks,

    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2012
        I found a solution that seems to work. Not sure if it's the most straightforward way to do it, but it works.
        In case anyone else needs something like that:
        ^!Set %NewFile%=^$GetDocName$.txt
        ^!Select ALL
        ^!TextToFile "^%NewFile%" ^$GetSelection$
        ^!Open "^%NewFile%"

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 8, 2012
          John, I think you are having a senior moment here.
          As written your code just overwrites the original doc.
          Don't you want to append your "-1" to the file name part of %NewFile%?

          Just trying to help<g>!

          Art

          At 1/8/2012 05:58 AM, you wrote:
          >I found a solution that seems to work. Not sure if it's the most
          >straightforward way to do it, but it works.
          >In case anyone else needs something like that:
          >^!Set %NewFile%=^$GetDocName$.txt
          >^!Select ALL
          >^!TextToFile "^%NewFile%" ^$GetSelection$
          >^!Open "^%NewFile%"
          >
          >Regards,
          >John
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 8, 2012
            Nope, it appends .txt to the doc, so its name is name.txt.txt, and that's fine for what I need. It is a throwaway file
            anyway, ultimately. Not that I don't have senior moments, though :-(

            I did add one line to close the new file in case it was open, then got modified.
            ^!Set %NewFile%=^$GetDocName$.txt
            ^!Close %NewFile% discard

            At 1/8/2012 05:58 AM, you wrote:
            >I found a solution that seems to work. Not sure if it's the most
            >straightforward way to do it, but it works.
            >In case anyone else needs something like that:
            >^!Set %NewFile%=^$GetDocName$.txt
            >^!Select ALL
            >^!TextToFile "^%NewFile%" ^$GetSelection$
            >^!Open "^%NewFile%"
            >
            >Regards,
            >John

          • Eb
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 9, 2012
              Your solution is brief, but it changes the cursor position, if that is important.

              Theoretically (I havn't tested this), you could use:

              ^!CopyFile "^$GetDocName$" "^$GetDocName$.txt"
              ^!Open "^$GetDocName$.txt"

              to achieve the same effect, without involving the cursor.
              In either case, NoteTab may have to wait for the operating system to actually write the file copy to disk.

              By the way, appending .txt may not exclusively identify the file as temporary. You _could_ use ".tmp" to make that clear.

              Cheers,

              Eb

              > I found a solution that seems to work. Not sure if it's the most straightforward way to do it, but it works.
              > In case anyone else needs something like that:
              > ^!Set %NewFile%=^$GetDocName$.txt
              > ^!Select ALL
              > ^!TextToFile "^%NewFile%" ^$GetSelection$
              > ^!Open "^%NewFile%"
              >
              > Regards,
              > John

            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 9, 2012
                Thanks, Eb, that looks good too. I'd add a save first, in case it was modified beforehand. I like the idea of .tmp too.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 9, 2012
                  Eb wrote:
                  > You _could_ use ".tmp" to make that clear.

                  I like using the standard Temp-folder too:

                  ^$ExpandEnv("%temp%")$\^$GetName(^$GetDocName$)$.tmp

                  Note the backslash: While NotTab paths always end in a backslash, DOS
                  paths don't.

                  Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 9, 2012
                    John Shotsky wrote:
                    > I'd add a save first, in case it was modified beforehand.

                    You could top that by closing and ^!OpenReadOnly

                    Open the old file first and the new one last, so the new, temporary one
                    is in focus.

                    Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                  • anachromat
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 1, 2012

                      > I found a solution that seems to work. Not sure if it's
                      > the most straightforward way to do it, but it works.
                      > In case anyone else needs something like that:
                      > ^!Set %NewFile%=^$GetDocName$.txt
                      > ^!Select ALL
                      > ^!TextToFile "^%NewFile%" ^$GetSelection$
                      > ^!Open "^%NewFile%"

                      Try replacing the middle two lines with:

                      ^!TextToFile "^%NewFile%" ^$GetText$

                      Here are the docs for GetText: "Returns the whole text contained in the active document."