Re: [Clip] Re: Trying to Learn how to make a clip

  • Don
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
      On 1/5/2012 10:48 PM, bozlawless wrote:
      > John thank you for the tip I hate that i ask for so much help but someday I may understand better

      We all started somewhere. If you learn and study as you go, then you
      learn from others and we learn from others as we offer suggestions as
      well. So it's all good. It is what the list is for.
    • Don
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
        One other point, put setdebug at the top and turn it on ... go through
        it a step at a time and you will see better what is happening.

        ^!SetDebug On

        On 1/5/2012 10:47 PM, bozlawless wrote:
        > Don it worked great thank you with you laying it out for me I have a better idea whats going on Thanks again
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
          The best way to learn is to take a clip and play with it. Find something that is close and try to tailor it to your
          needs. You'll have to start simple, but you need to understand the basics to understand the higher points. This is a
          challenging system, because there is almost nothing you can't do to a text file with it.

          What has helped me learn, probably more than anything, is using the Find dialog with regex checked, and tweaking things
          until it finds what I want. If it doesn't find anything, shorten it a bit until it finds part of what you want, then add
          to it to get more of it. Once you have something that works, save it, and use it in the future, with modifications, to
          do something else. I write almost no clips from scratch � I always copy something that works, and tweak it for a new
          need. That way, you eliminate a lot of careless mistakes, which can be hair pulling with this syntax.

          I can't tell you how many times I've had 'd' instead of \d in a long find, and how long I had to look to spot the
          missing \. Of course, I have thousands of lines of connected code, so finding the ONE that is causing a problem takes a
          little effort itself. Often, it takes far longer to find a problem than to fix it.