[Clip] Re: Trying to Learn how to make a clip

  • bozlawless
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
      John thank you for the tip I hate that i ask for so much help but someday I may understand better

      > The best way to get help is to post part of the input, and the exact output you are looking for. Often, you will get
      > what you ask for, rather than what you MEANT to ask for. Type it out in the question to help you frame what you really
      > want.
      >
      > Regards,
      > John

    • Don
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
        On 1/5/2012 10:48 PM, bozlawless wrote:
        > John thank you for the tip I hate that i ask for so much help but someday I may understand better

        We all started somewhere. If you learn and study as you go, then you
        learn from others and we learn from others as we offer suggestions as
        well. So it's all good. It is what the list is for.
      • Don
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
          One other point, put setdebug at the top and turn it on ... go through
          it a step at a time and you will see better what is happening.

          ^!SetDebug On

          On 1/5/2012 10:47 PM, bozlawless wrote:
          > Don it worked great thank you with you laying it out for me I have a better idea whats going on Thanks again
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
            The best way to learn is to take a clip and play with it. Find something that is close and try to tailor it to your
            needs. You'll have to start simple, but you need to understand the basics to understand the higher points. This is a
            challenging system, because there is almost nothing you can't do to a text file with it.

            What has helped me learn, probably more than anything, is using the Find dialog with regex checked, and tweaking things
            until it finds what I want. If it doesn't find anything, shorten it a bit until it finds part of what you want, then add
            to it to get more of it. Once you have something that works, save it, and use it in the future, with modifications, to
            do something else. I write almost no clips from scratch � I always copy something that works, and tweak it for a new
            need. That way, you eliminate a lot of careless mistakes, which can be hair pulling with this syntax.

            I can't tell you how many times I've had 'd' instead of \d in a long find, and how long I had to look to spot the
            missing \. Of course, I have thousands of lines of connected code, so finding the ONE that is causing a problem takes a
            little effort itself. Often, it takes far longer to find a problem than to fix it.