Re: Trying to Learn how to make a clip

  • bozlawless
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
      This works but it puts everything on one long line can you kinda break this down so i can get a idea whats going on? I think I need a carriage return @ the ";1 but not sure how

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Don <don@...> wrote:

      > ^!Set %Variable_One%="^$GetDocMatchAll("(Latitude = .*)";1)$"
      > ^!Select All
      > ^%Variable_One%
      > ^!Replace "Latitude = " >> "" ACIWS
      > ^!Replace " Longitude = " >> "|" ACIWS
      >

      > On 1/5/2012 8:36 PM, bozlawless wrote:
      > > IH 35 - Northbound, approximately 2 miles south of Salado, midway between Austin and Waco
      > > Latitude = 30.9001 Longitude = -97.5623
      > > Milepost: 281
      > > Location
      > >
      > > US 385 - North Bound, North of Andrews
      > > Latitude = 32.5191 Longitude = -102.6121
      > >
      > > IH 35 - Northbound, approximately 2 miles south of Salado, midway between Austin and Waco
      > > Latitude = 30.9001 Longitude = -97.5623
      > > Milepost: 281
      > >
      > > IH 35 - Southbound, approximately 2 miles south of Salado, midway between Austin and Waco
      > > Latitude = 30.9137 Longitude = -97.5508
      > > Milepost: 282
      > >
      > > US 281, approximately 9 miles south of Falfurrias, southwest of Corpus Christi.
      > > Latitude = 27.0942 Longitude = -98.1464
      > > Features
      > >
      > > 2 sets of Men's and Women's Restrooms

    • Don
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
        just add a replace at the end and replace all ; with ^P if you want

        Or use this:
        ;put a carraige return between each found item
        ^!SetListDelimiter ^P
        ;find all lines that start with Latitute =
        ;assign those lines to a variable
        ^!Set %Variable_One%="^$GetDocMatchAll("(Latitude = .*)";1)$"
        ;select all so it will be replaced - careful not to save over orig
        ^!Select All
        ;paste the variable
        ^%Variable_One%
        ;replace latitude with nothing
        ^!Replace "Latitude = " >> "" ACIWS
        ;replace the longitute with a pipe (|) or whatever you want
        ^!Replace " Longitude = " >> "|" ACIWS

        you didn't really show what you wanted on the back end so I just used
        default for list delimiter and that is a semi-colon

        On 1/5/2012 10:15 PM, bozlawless wrote:
        > This works but it puts everything on one long line can you kinda break this down so i can get a idea whats going on? I think I need a carriage return @ the ";1 but not sure how
        >

        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Don <don@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> ^!Set %Variable_One%="^$GetDocMatchAll("(Latitude = .*)";1)$"
        >> ^!Select All
        >> ^%Variable_One%
        >> ^!Replace "Latitude = " >> "" ACIWS
        >> ^!Replace " Longitude = " >> "|" ACIWS
        >>

        >> On 1/5/2012 8:36 PM, bozlawless wrote:
        >>> IH 35 - Northbound, approximately 2 miles south of Salado, midway between Austin and Waco
        >>> Latitude = 30.9001 Longitude = -97.5623
        >>> Milepost: 281
        >>> Location
        >>>
        >>> US 385 - North Bound, North of Andrews
        >>> Latitude = 32.5191 Longitude = -102.6121
        >>>
        >>> IH 35 - Northbound, approximately 2 miles south of Salado, midway between Austin and Waco
        >>> Latitude = 30.9001 Longitude = -97.5623
        >>> Milepost: 281
        >>>
        >>> IH 35 - Southbound, approximately 2 miles south of Salado, midway between Austin and Waco
        >>> Latitude = 30.9137 Longitude = -97.5508
        >>> Milepost: 282
        >>>
        >>> US 281, approximately 9 miles south of Falfurrias, southwest of Corpus Christi.
        >>> Latitude = 27.0942 Longitude = -98.1464
        >>> Features
        >>>
        >>> 2 sets of Men's and Women's Restrooms

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
          The best way to get help is to post part of the input, and the exact output you are looking for. Often, you will get
          what you ask for, rather than what you MEANT to ask for. Type it out in the question to help you frame what you really
          want.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
            Don it worked great thank you with you laying it out for me I have a better idea whats going on Thanks again

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
              John thank you for the tip I hate that i ask for so much help but someday I may understand better

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
                On 1/5/2012 10:48 PM, bozlawless wrote:
                > John thank you for the tip I hate that i ask for so much help but someday I may understand better

                We all started somewhere. If you learn and study as you go, then you
                learn from others and we learn from others as we offer suggestions as
                well. So it's all good. It is what the list is for.
              • Don
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
                  One other point, put setdebug at the top and turn it on ... go through
                  it a step at a time and you will see better what is happening.

                  ^!SetDebug On

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
                    The best way to learn is to take a clip and play with it. Find something that is close and try to tailor it to your
                    needs. You'll have to start simple, but you need to understand the basics to understand the higher points. This is a
                    challenging system, because there is almost nothing you can't do to a text file with it.

                    What has helped me learn, probably more than anything, is using the Find dialog with regex checked, and tweaking things
                    until it finds what I want. If it doesn't find anything, shorten it a bit until it finds part of what you want, then add
                    to it to get more of it. Once you have something that works, save it, and use it in the future, with modifications, to
                    do something else. I write almost no clips from scratch � I always copy something that works, and tweak it for a new
                    need. That way, you eliminate a lot of careless mistakes, which can be hair pulling with this syntax.

                    I can't tell you how many times I've had 'd' instead of \d in a long find, and how long I had to look to spot the
                    missing \. Of course, I have thousands of lines of connected code, so finding the ONE that is causing a problem takes a
                    little effort itself. Often, it takes far longer to find a problem than to fix it.