Re: [Clip] Re: Replace help

  • Don
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 18, 2011
      Click replace and use what I gave you.
      There is a little box called regex, click/tick it and search and replace.

      On 12/18/2011 8:28 PM, Eb wrote:
      > You may get a ton of replies, or not.

    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 18, 2011
        Don said:
        > Not really somewhere out there Jody has a clip tutorial that was good.
        I used the clip tutorial when I was first trying to learn how to do
        them. Back then, Jody had a specific yahoo-group for questions etc. but
        it was taken down long ago and AFAICT its no longer available on the
        Notetab web site. I thought I had a copy of it on my hard drive but it
        appears to have disappeared :-) All is not lost - when I go to the Clips
        files section: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/ I see
        that back in 2008 I uploaded a zip with description:
        > ClipClass+Clip_Basics+more.zip
        > <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sKjuTtfV6BhC-K8Z3rlY_ZHw90rAjCGtay7Z6orwSYdPNJ5j_DJlNxmQn7zByX0UoxsLmsxqYgnrA3b3hHuNTIPBkhMXgQ/ClipClass%2BClip_Basics%2Bmore.zip>
        > Jody's clip class lessons and some other things that might be useful
        > for "newbies"
        Note: the link above won't work (its server specific) ... go to the
        files group and select it manually.

        Within that zip there is a pdf file: ClipClass.pdf and an
        Notetab-outline file: ClipClass.otl containing the same info.
        Also: if you open the file index.htm in a browser there is a nicely
        structured diagram explaining the various components of the Notetab UI.

        On quick skim, it looks like Jody had originally intended 15 lessons of
        which only 10 were completed. (or perhaps he had templated up to 15 and
        realized the job was "complete" after 10)

        I'd suggest downloading it and start with lesson 1. Feel free to ask any
        questions you have here.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 19, 2011
          bozlawless wrote:
          > Thanks Don for the help....
          > But I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

          Let's go at it very slowly. Unless you changed something you have a clip
          library with a list of clips open to the left of your window. Choose a
          library you like at the bottom, then right-click into it and choose "Add
          new clip". Give it a name (header) like "Remove date".

          In the edit window you type or copy

          ^!Replace "a" >> "b" RSTI

          save, go to some other text in another tab and double-click your new
          clip. E voilá, an "a" will be replaced by a "b", done. Reload your text.
          Now go back to your clip and modify it to

          ^!Replace "\b\d\d/\d\d/\d\d\b" >> "" RSTI

          \b : Boundary, a place where a "word" ends, where a non-word character
          comes next to a word character, the latter including digits.
          \d : A digit, 0 to 9
          / : just a slash, "/"

          Try it out as before, a date will be replaced by nothing. One slight
          niggle will remain. If there was a space to the left and one to the
          right of your date you'll now end up with two spaces in a row. Now I'll
          have to assume something, namely that to the right of the date there may
          well be different punctuation marks and to the left there always is a
          space (and not an opening parenthesis or something). If so, make that
          space part of the pattern and delete it too.

          ^!Replace " \d\d/\d\d/\d\d\b" >> "" WRASTI

          At this time I've added W and A to the modifiers, the clip will now
          start at the top, "W"hole text, and replace "A"ll occurences.