Re: [Clip] CTRL+ALT+B won't work

  • Eb
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 20, 2011
      I don't know where your ESC key is located, Axel, or how long your fingers are. But my fingers do not reach the ESC key without lifting my left hand from its normal position (the ONLY key on my keyboard, where that is necessary).

      So for me your technique, while available in addition to the 'x' clip, it requires extra effort, and more keystrokes:

      Reach, ESC, 1 or more keys, ENTER

      versus

      'x ' ([x] [space]) = 2 keystrokes, easier and faster.

      Eb

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 20, 2011
        Eb wrote:
        > Reach, ESC, 1 or more keys, ENTER
        > versus
        > 'x ' ([x] [space]) = 2 keystrokes, easier and faster.

        You're absolutely right this far. And then I want to tell you my current
        screen runs at 1280 x 1024 --oops, how did that happen?
        This is why I think <Esc> rather than autorun is equivalent to standard
        shortcuts.

        And if I do use autorun, I tend to let the sequence begin with "<",
        which is both easy to type (compared to the LaTeX standard "\") and rare
        enough. Thus with autorun I would have made your example "<x ", one more
        keystroke.

        Axel
      • Eb
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 20, 2011
          Hi Sezor,

          That's right. Both shift options provide for the rare case, when you might want to enter an isolated z into your document.

          For example, to generate 'x = y' in your document, type

          [x][SHIFT+SPACE][=][SPACE][y]

          Note, that to generate 'x=y' in your doc (no spaces), you must type the space first, then the '=', then go back and erase the space:

          [x][SHIFT+SPACE][=]

          then backup to erase the space and type the [y]. I.e.:

          [x][SHIFT+SPACE][=][LEFTARROW][BACKSPACE][RIGHTARROW][y]

          The reason is, that the '=' (and some of the other trigger keys) cannot be generated with the shift key. So [x][=] would trigger the macro. The same applies to all unshifted triggers (,.;]=).

          Cheers

          Eb

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 20, 2011
            Eb wrote:
            > [x][SHIFT+SPACE]

            I never realized what that was about, I should have read more carefully.
            You're right, this way it will work fine. I still prefer my control
            sequences to be different from ordinary letters, but that's just taste.

            Axel
          • Sezor
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 20, 2011
              Thanks Eb

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 22, 2011
                Hi Axel,

                I'm sorry, I don't understand what the screen has to do with auto-run or esc?

                Eb

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 22, 2011
                  Eb wrote:
                  > I don't understand what the screen has to do with auto-run or esc?

                  And I thought you had already answered my objection on Sunday at 16:05 h
                  your time. If you make "x" the shortcut, then <Space>x<Space> will make
                  the clip run. That screen stuff was just the first thing from the top of
                  my head containing " x " to demonstrate the problem.