Re: [Clip] CTRL+ALT+B won't work

  • Eb
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 19, 2011
      Hey Jean-Francois,

      As Lotta surmised, I did misread your question. I didn't expect "clip" in your question, so I didn't see it. Nor did I check if the reassignment was available in NoteTab Lite (it's not).
      Lotta (and Axel) is also correct in Auto-replace being the closest you can get to keystroke-run clips. But that is pretty close, as the example below will show. Since it does not require any keyboard reassignment, the technique probablyy works on both NTP and NTL.

      Use a new clip library, or one that only uses names that will not auto-execute (clipnames contain spaces), add the following two clips to the library to synthesize a keystroke macro (you'll have to add your own operational code ;-), and trun the library's Auto-Replace mode ON:

      H="Z"
      ;AR_mode keystroke macro manager
      ;if SHIFT is pressed, the AR word and trigger are typed as is, i.e. "Z "
      ^!IfTrue ^$IsShiftKeyDown$ ABORT
      ;run the macro, DISCARD char and trigger
      ^!Clip "macro "
      ^!Goto END
      :ABORT
      ;KEEP the char and trigger
      ^!Set %X%=^%AR_WORD%
      ^!InsertText ^%X%
      ^!Jump SELECT_END

      H="_macro "
      ;keystroke macro, EATS the AR workd and trigger
      ; called by the activation clip, "Z"
      ^!Info [L]Replace this INFO line of code with your desired macro action
      ;the following code suppresses the macro keystrokes "z "
      ^!Set %discard%=^&

      in your document (Warning, AR also executes in the Clip Editor) type the following three variations of the clip name to get three different results:

      type ' z ' runs the macro. (all unshifted)
      type SHIFT+'z ' produces ' Z ' (Upper case Z)
      type ' zSHIFT+SPACE' produces ' z ' (Lower case z)

      Cheers,

      Eb

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 19, 2011
        Eb wrote:
        > Auto-replace being the closest you can get to keystroke-run clips.
        > But that is pretty close, as the example below will show.

        I'd say the oppsite was true. Running a clip through <Esc><Key><Return>
        is nearly a keyboard shortcut. A problem here is my preferring having an
        autorun library open so mistriggering becomes probable. As its easily
        typeable I often begin my shortcuts with "<" or ">". Long clip names are
        impractical for autorun, but work fine with <Esc> where the first letter
        or two suffice.

        Axel
      • Sezor
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 19, 2011
          Thanks for that Eb
          One question -
          the line
          type ' zSHIFT+SPACE'
          means type
          then
          SHIFT+SPACE
          Is that it?
          Sezor

          Eb wrote:
          > Hey Jean-Francois,
          >
          > As Lotta surmised, I did misread your question. I didn't expect "clip" in your question, so I didn't see it. Nor did I check if the reassignment was available in NoteTab Lite (it's not).
          > Lotta (and Axel) is also correct in Auto-replace being the closest you can get to keystroke-run clips. But that is pretty close, as the example below will show. Since it does not require any keyboard reassignment, the technique probablyy works on both NTP and NTL.
          >

          > Use a new clip library, or one that only uses names that will not auto-execute (clipnames contain spaces), add the following two clips to the library to synthesize a keystroke macro (you'll have to add your own operational code ;-), and trun the library's Auto-Replace mode ON:
          >

          > H="Z"
          > ;AR_mode keystroke macro manager
          > ;if SHIFT is pressed, the AR word and trigger are typed as is, i.e. "Z "
          > ^!IfTrue ^$IsShiftKeyDown$ ABORT
          > ;run the macro, DISCARD char and trigger
          > ^!Clip "macro "
          > ^!Goto END
          > :ABORT
          > ;KEEP the char and trigger
          > ^!Set %X%=^%AR_WORD%
          > ^!InsertText ^%X%
          > ^!Jump SELECT_END
          >

          > H="_macro "
          > ;keystroke macro, EATS the AR workd and trigger
          > ; called by the activation clip, "Z"
          > ^!Info [L]Replace this INFO line of code with your desired macro action
          > ;the following code suppresses the macro keystrokes "z "
          > ^!Set %discard%=^&
          >

          > in your document (Warning, AR also executes in the Clip Editor) type the following three variations of the clip name to get three different results:
          >
          > type ' z ' runs the macro. (all unshifted)
          > type SHIFT+'z ' produces ' Z ' (Upper case Z)
          > type ' zSHIFT+SPACE' produces ' z ' (Lower case z)
          >

          > Cheers,
          >

          > Eb
          >

          > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:
          >> Afraid you can't. Auto-replace (auto-correct) is the closest you get.
          >> Eb must have misunderstood your question.
          >

          > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Fran├žois Colas <jfcolas@...> wrote:
          >> is it really possible to assign key combinations to a clip
          >> with a free version?

        • Eb
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 20, 2011
            I don't know where your ESC key is located, Axel, or how long your fingers are. But my fingers do not reach the ESC key without lifting my left hand from its normal position (the ONLY key on my keyboard, where that is necessary).

            So for me your technique, while available in addition to the 'x' clip, it requires extra effort, and more keystrokes:

            Reach, ESC, 1 or more keys, ENTER

            versus

            'x ' ([x] [space]) = 2 keystrokes, easier and faster.

            Eb

            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 20, 2011
              Eb wrote:
              > Reach, ESC, 1 or more keys, ENTER
              > versus
              > 'x ' ([x] [space]) = 2 keystrokes, easier and faster.

              You're absolutely right this far. And then I want to tell you my current
              screen runs at 1280 x 1024 --oops, how did that happen?
              This is why I think <Esc> rather than autorun is equivalent to standard
              shortcuts.

              And if I do use autorun, I tend to let the sequence begin with "<",
              which is both easy to type (compared to the LaTeX standard "\") and rare
              enough. Thus with autorun I would have made your example "<x ", one more
              keystroke.

              Axel
            • Eb
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 20, 2011
                Hi Sezor,

                That's right. Both shift options provide for the rare case, when you might want to enter an isolated z into your document.

                For example, to generate 'x = y' in your document, type

                [x][SHIFT+SPACE][=][SPACE][y]

                Note, that to generate 'x=y' in your doc (no spaces), you must type the space first, then the '=', then go back and erase the space:

                [x][SHIFT+SPACE][=]

                then backup to erase the space and type the [y]. I.e.:

                [x][SHIFT+SPACE][=][LEFTARROW][BACKSPACE][RIGHTARROW][y]

                The reason is, that the '=' (and some of the other trigger keys) cannot be generated with the shift key. So [x][=] would trigger the macro. The same applies to all unshifted triggers (,.;]=).

                Cheers

                Eb

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 20, 2011
                  Eb wrote:
                  > [x][SHIFT+SPACE]

                  I never realized what that was about, I should have read more carefully.
                  You're right, this way it will work fine. I still prefer my control
                  sequences to be different from ordinary letters, but that's just taste.

                  Axel
                • Sezor
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 20, 2011
                    Thanks Eb

                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 22, 2011
                      Hi Axel,

                      I'm sorry, I don't understand what the screen has to do with auto-run or esc?

                      Eb

                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 22, 2011
                        Eb wrote:
                        > I don't understand what the screen has to do with auto-run or esc?

                        And I thought you had already answered my objection on Sunday at 16:05 h
                        your time. If you make "x" the shortcut, then <Space>x<Space> will make
                        the clip run. That screen stuff was just the first thing from the top of
                        my head containing " x " to demonstrate the problem.