Re: CTRL+ALT+B won't work

  • Eb
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 11, 2011
      The keyboard combination CTRL+ALT stops clip execution.

      You'll need to use a different key combination.

      However, I suspect you do not need the ^!keyboard command at all.

      Try the clip (use any name you like. Create different clips for wrapping in different codes.

      H="wrap stuff"
      ^!InsertText [b]^&[/b]

      or just

      H="wrap stuff"
      [b]^&[/b]

      then select the target, and run the clip.

      Cheers,

      Eb

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "CR" <chuckr69@...> wrote:

      > I have Notetab 6.2 Free on Win XP. Since I upgraded from an older version (5.x?) my hotkey combinations won't work. Here is one example combination:
      > Clipname: bold
      > Clip contents: ^!keyboard CTRL+ALT+B #[b]^&[/b]#
      >
      > When I select text, and it CTRL+ALT+B it's supposed to put BBCODE around the selected text, but nothing happens. No error, nothing.
      >
      > Any ideas how do do what I want?

    • Jean-François Colas
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 15, 2011
        Hello List,

        Sorry for this basic remark, but I can't hope I would have missed such a
        great thing: is it really possible to assign key combinations to a clip
        with a free version?

        Thanks,
        J.-F.

        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 15, 2011
          Why sure, Jean-F.

          Look at the file "shortcuts.dat" in your notetab installation folder.

          HOWEVER!
          Most keyboard combinations have already been assigned. So if you want a specific combination, you need to be aware of what you will disconnect, when you reassign it in shortcuts.dat. See the help file Help-->Help Topics-->Reference Information-->Other Features-->Keyboard Shortcuts.

          Cheers,

          Eb

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 15, 2011
            But... Hoping a good surprise, I tried it in this NoteTab LIGHT here at
            work, but nothing happened. I'm afraid I understood well as I thought it
            was only possible with NtPro. I will try at home where I have a NTPro 6.2.

            Anyway, having read the help on "changing shortcuts", I couldn't see a
            way of assigning a keyboard shortcut to a clip, or I can't figure out by
            which menu item I can reach them.

            Best regards,
            J.-F.

            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 15, 2011
              Eb wrote:
              > Why sure, Jean-F.
              > Look at the file "shortcuts.dat" in your notetab installation folder.

              Sorry, Eb, but the correct answer is still no. You can assign any menu
              functions but not, unfortunately, clips, not without extra software. A
              great addition that is, granted, but still too much hassle for me.

              Axel
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 15, 2011
                If using launching clips with keyboard shortcuts (including in Light) is important to you see here: <tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/CustomClipkeysInfo.html>

              • loro
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 16, 2011
                  Jean-François Colas wrote:
                  >Anyway, having read the help on "changing shortcuts", I couldn't see a
                  >way of assigning a keyboard shortcut to a clip, or I can't figure out by
                  >which menu item I can reach them.

                  Afraid you can't. Auto-replace (auto-correct) is the closest you get.
                  Eb must have misunderstood your question.

                  Lotta
                • Eb
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 19, 2011
                    Hey Jean-Francois,

                    As Lotta surmised, I did misread your question. I didn't expect "clip" in your question, so I didn't see it. Nor did I check if the reassignment was available in NoteTab Lite (it's not).
                    Lotta (and Axel) is also correct in Auto-replace being the closest you can get to keystroke-run clips. But that is pretty close, as the example below will show. Since it does not require any keyboard reassignment, the technique probablyy works on both NTP and NTL.

                    Use a new clip library, or one that only uses names that will not auto-execute (clipnames contain spaces), add the following two clips to the library to synthesize a keystroke macro (you'll have to add your own operational code ;-), and trun the library's Auto-Replace mode ON:

                    H="Z"
                    ;AR_mode keystroke macro manager
                    ;if SHIFT is pressed, the AR word and trigger are typed as is, i.e. "Z "
                    ^!IfTrue ^$IsShiftKeyDown$ ABORT
                    ;run the macro, DISCARD char and trigger
                    ^!Clip "macro "
                    ^!Goto END
                    :ABORT
                    ;KEEP the char and trigger
                    ^!Set %X%=^%AR_WORD%
                    ^!InsertText ^%X%
                    ^!Jump SELECT_END

                    H="_macro "
                    ;keystroke macro, EATS the AR workd and trigger
                    ; called by the activation clip, "Z"
                    ^!Info [L]Replace this INFO line of code with your desired macro action
                    ;the following code suppresses the macro keystrokes "z "
                    ^!Set %discard%=^&

                    in your document (Warning, AR also executes in the Clip Editor) type the following three variations of the clip name to get three different results:

                    type ' z ' runs the macro. (all unshifted)
                    type SHIFT+'z ' produces ' Z ' (Upper case Z)
                    type ' zSHIFT+SPACE' produces ' z ' (Lower case z)

                    Cheers,

                    Eb

                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 19, 2011
                      Eb wrote:
                      > Auto-replace being the closest you can get to keystroke-run clips.
                      > But that is pretty close, as the example below will show.

                      I'd say the oppsite was true. Running a clip through <Esc><Key><Return>
                      is nearly a keyboard shortcut. A problem here is my preferring having an
                      autorun library open so mistriggering becomes probable. As its easily
                      typeable I often begin my shortcuts with "<" or ">". Long clip names are
                      impractical for autorun, but work fine with <Esc> where the first letter
                      or two suffice.

                      Axel
                    • Sezor
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 19, 2011
                        Thanks for that Eb
                        One question -
                        the line
                        type ' zSHIFT+SPACE'
                        means type
                        then
                        SHIFT+SPACE
                        Is that it?
                        Sezor

                        Eb wrote:
                        > Hey Jean-Francois,
                        >
                        > As Lotta surmised, I did misread your question. I didn't expect "clip" in your question, so I didn't see it. Nor did I check if the reassignment was available in NoteTab Lite (it's not).
                        > Lotta (and Axel) is also correct in Auto-replace being the closest you can get to keystroke-run clips. But that is pretty close, as the example below will show. Since it does not require any keyboard reassignment, the technique probablyy works on both NTP and NTL.
                        >

                        > Use a new clip library, or one that only uses names that will not auto-execute (clipnames contain spaces), add the following two clips to the library to synthesize a keystroke macro (you'll have to add your own operational code ;-), and trun the library's Auto-Replace mode ON:
                        >

                        > H="Z"
                        > ;AR_mode keystroke macro manager
                        > ;if SHIFT is pressed, the AR word and trigger are typed as is, i.e. "Z "
                        > ^!IfTrue ^$IsShiftKeyDown$ ABORT
                        > ;run the macro, DISCARD char and trigger
                        > ^!Clip "macro "
                        > ^!Goto END
                        > :ABORT
                        > ;KEEP the char and trigger
                        > ^!Set %X%=^%AR_WORD%
                        > ^!InsertText ^%X%
                        > ^!Jump SELECT_END
                        >

                        > H="_macro "
                        > ;keystroke macro, EATS the AR workd and trigger
                        > ; called by the activation clip, "Z"
                        > ^!Info [L]Replace this INFO line of code with your desired macro action
                        > ;the following code suppresses the macro keystrokes "z "
                        > ^!Set %discard%=^&
                        >

                        > in your document (Warning, AR also executes in the Clip Editor) type the following three variations of the clip name to get three different results:
                        >
                        > type ' z ' runs the macro. (all unshifted)
                        > type SHIFT+'z ' produces ' Z ' (Upper case Z)
                        > type ' zSHIFT+SPACE' produces ' z ' (Lower case z)
                        >

                        > Cheers,
                        >

                        > Eb
                        >

                        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:
                        >> Afraid you can't. Auto-replace (auto-correct) is the closest you get.
                        >> Eb must have misunderstood your question.
                        >

                        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jean-François Colas <jfcolas@...> wrote:
                        >> is it really possible to assign key combinations to a clip
                        >> with a free version?

                      • Eb
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 20, 2011
                          I don't know where your ESC key is located, Axel, or how long your fingers are. But my fingers do not reach the ESC key without lifting my left hand from its normal position (the ONLY key on my keyboard, where that is necessary).

                          So for me your technique, while available in addition to the 'x' clip, it requires extra effort, and more keystrokes:

                          Reach, ESC, 1 or more keys, ENTER

                          versus

                          'x ' ([x] [space]) = 2 keystrokes, easier and faster.

                          Eb

                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 20, 2011
                            Eb wrote:
                            > Reach, ESC, 1 or more keys, ENTER
                            > versus
                            > 'x ' ([x] [space]) = 2 keystrokes, easier and faster.

                            You're absolutely right this far. And then I want to tell you my current
                            screen runs at 1280 x 1024 --oops, how did that happen?
                            This is why I think <Esc> rather than autorun is equivalent to standard
                            shortcuts.

                            And if I do use autorun, I tend to let the sequence begin with "<",
                            which is both easy to type (compared to the LaTeX standard "\") and rare
                            enough. Thus with autorun I would have made your example "<x ", one more
                            keystroke.

                            Axel
                          • Eb
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 20, 2011
                              Hi Sezor,

                              That's right. Both shift options provide for the rare case, when you might want to enter an isolated z into your document.

                              For example, to generate 'x = y' in your document, type

                              [x][SHIFT+SPACE][=][SPACE][y]

                              Note, that to generate 'x=y' in your doc (no spaces), you must type the space first, then the '=', then go back and erase the space:

                              [x][SHIFT+SPACE][=]

                              then backup to erase the space and type the [y]. I.e.:

                              [x][SHIFT+SPACE][=][LEFTARROW][BACKSPACE][RIGHTARROW][y]

                              The reason is, that the '=' (and some of the other trigger keys) cannot be generated with the shift key. So [x][=] would trigger the macro. The same applies to all unshifted triggers (,.;]=).

                              Cheers

                              Eb

                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 20, 2011
                                Eb wrote:
                                > [x][SHIFT+SPACE]

                                I never realized what that was about, I should have read more carefully.
                                You're right, this way it will work fine. I still prefer my control
                                sequences to be different from ordinary letters, but that's just taste.

                                Axel
                              • Sezor
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 20, 2011
                                  Thanks Eb

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 22, 2011
                                    Hi Axel,

                                    I'm sorry, I don't understand what the screen has to do with auto-run or esc?

                                    Eb

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 22, 2011
                                      Eb wrote:
                                      > I don't understand what the screen has to do with auto-run or esc?

                                      And I thought you had already answered my objection on Sunday at 16:05 h
                                      your time. If you make "x" the shortcut, then <Space>x<Space> will make
                                      the clip run. That screen stuff was just the first thing from the top of
                                      my head containing " x " to demonstrate the problem.