How to remove lines with the word "xxx"

  • C
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
      Hi friends Axel and Don, thanks.

      Both suggestions do not worked.

      Let say that I have this list:

      a-gamal@...
      a-jhemi@...
      a.aanha@...
      a.abdullayev@.....az
      a.abouzeid@...
      example@...

      Let say that I want to remove all lines that have the "yahoo" word.

      Thanks.
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
        C wrote:
        > Both suggestions do not worked.

        Sorry, have to disagree. Mine just worked fine on your list:

        ^!Replace "\R.*(yahoo).*\R" >> "\n" WRASTI

        As Don's is nearly exactly the same I've no doubt his will too.

        Axel
      • C
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
          Hi,

          Perhaps is because I used:

          ^!Set rdSDyahoo
          ^!Replace "\R.*(^rdŽ*\R" >> "\n" WRASTI

          I need to use a variable, because will be a lot of different words.

          Thsnks. I know that Axel is a guru.

          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "C" <backup2abet@...> wrote:

          > Hi friends Axel and Don, thanks.
          >
          > Both suggestions do not worked.
          >
          > Let say that I have this list:
          >
          > a-gamal@...
          > a-jhemi@...
          > a.aanha@...
          > a.abdullayev@...
          > a.abouzeid@...
          > example@...
          >
          > Let say that I want to remove all lines that have the "yahoo" word.
          >
          > Thanks.

        • C
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
            In other words, I need to use a variable in place of the (....), because will be a lot of different words.

            ------------------------------------

            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "C" <backup2abet@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Perhaps is because I used:
            >
            > ^!Set rdSDyahoo
            > ^!Replace "\R.*(^rdŽ*\R" >> "\n" WRASTI
            >
            > I need to use a variable, because will be a lot of different words.
            >
            > Thsnks. I know that Axel is a guru.
            >

            > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "C" <backup2abet@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi friends Axel and Don, thanks.
            > >
            > > Both suggestions do not worked.
            > >
            > > Let say that I have this list:
            > >
            > > a-gamal@
            > > a-jhemi@
            > > a.aanha@
            > > a.abdullayev@
            > > a.abouzeid@
            > > example@
            > >
            > > Let say that I want to remove all lines that have the "yahoo" word.
            > >
            > > Thanks.

          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
              You can separate all the words with pipes, and still run just one clip.
              (word1|word2|word3|wordn)

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-clips%40yahoogroups.com> , "C" <backup2abet@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Perhaps is because I used:
              >
              > ^!Set rdSDyahoo
              > ^!Replace "\R.*(^rd��*\R" >> "\n" WRASTI
              >
              > I need to use a variable, because will be a lot of different words.
              >
              > Thsnks. I know that Axel is a guru.
              >

              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-clips%40yahoogroups.com> , "C" <backup2abet@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi friends Axel and Don, thanks.
              > >
              > > Both suggestions do not worked.
              > >
              > > Let say that I have this list:
              > >
              > > a-gamal@
              > > a-jhemi@
              > > a.aanha@
              > > a.abdullayev@
              > > a.abouzeid@
              > > example@
              > >
              > > Let say that I want to remove all lines that have the "yahoo" word.
              > >
              > > Thanks.

            • diodeom
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
                "C" <backup2abet@...> wrote:

                > In other words, I need to use a variable in place of the (....), because will be a lot of different words.

                Either:

                ^!Set %word%=yahoo
                ^!Replace "^.*?\Q^%word%\E.*(\R|\Z)" >> "" WARS

                or:

                ^!Set %word%=yahoo
                ^!Find ^%word% WITS
                ^!IfError End
                ^!DeleteLine
                ^!Goto Skip_-3
              • Don
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
                  right, set the variable thus word1|word2|word3

                  Your text for the word is funky so I'm guessing maybe you have special
                  characters in there that need to be pre-pended with and escape? \" or \)

                  And then:
                  ^!Replace "^.*(^%variable%).*\R" >> "" RAWS

                  As usual I have no idea what dio is talking about -- but I'm sure it
                  totally works.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
                    C wrote:
                    > ^!Set rdSDyahoo
                    > ^!Replace "\R.*(^rdŽ*\R" >> "\n" WRASTI

                    I can't read that. Going to the source I find

                    ^!Set =18rdSDyahoo
                    ^!Replace "\R.*(^=18rd=8E*\R" >> "\n" WRASTI

                    What are the characters $18 and $8E? You'll probably nned to write them
                    as \x18 and \x8E whatever they are for. I have just tried using
                    variables inside a Regex Replace myself and to my surprise it worked
                    fine.

                    Axel
                  • Don
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
                      I use variables in regex's all the time myself.

                      I think using ^ (means beginning of the line) instead of \R is better at
                      the front because it could be the first line.

                      Dio used (\R|\Z) at the back end which is better than either of us as it
                      will include the last line. I am trying to remember that one more myself.

                      I don't get his \Q and \whatever it was in the middle so I need to go
                      look those up ... maybe word boundary or something?