Re: [Clip] deleting duplicate lines

  • Jean-François Colas
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
      Hello,

      Would the checkbox "Sort reoves duplicates", in the View / Options menu,
      tab Tools, fit?

      However I can't help for using this setting in clip if you don't want NT
      to behave that way all the time.

      Regards,
      J.-F.

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
        Jean-François Colas wrote:
        > However I can't help for using this setting in clip if you don't want NT
        > to behave that way all the time.

        ^$StrSort("Str";CaseSensitive;Ascending;RemoveDuplicates)$
        (added in v4.52)

        Returns the specified text "Str" sorted according to the defined
        criteria. NoteTab 5 supports two new values for the CaseSensitive
        parameter: ANSI to enforce a case sensitive dictionary-type sorting
        order and False_ANSI to ignore character case during sorting. The ANSI
        option produces a sorting order that matches the result from the
        Modify/Lines/Sort menu command. Note, however, that sorting is much
        slower with the ANSI option.

        For example, the following instruction will sort the lines contained in
        the Clipboard, in ascending order, ignoring character case, and removing
        duplicates:

        Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
      • m_frascinella
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
          Axel,

          Jean-Francois's tip about View -> Options -> Tools ->Sort Removes Duplicates definitely worked as a manual way to sort and remove duplicate lines.

          I tried the StrSort statement but could not get it to work.

          First of all, the StrSort statement did not turn blue (valid) as with other Notetab statements.

          Second, I was not sure how to grab all the lines I extracted. I tried this thinking that my %Lines% variable was still active.
          ^$StrSort("^%Lines%";False;true;true)$

          That did not work.

          Then I tried:
          ^!Select all
          ^$StrSort("^$GetClipboard$";False;true;true)$

          But this resulted in nothing in the new file but the StrSort statement.

          What is wrong? The StrSort statement does not seem to be working for me.

          Yours,

          Michael F

          > Jean-François Colas wrote:
          > > However I can't help for using this setting in clip if you don't want NT
          > > to behave that way all the time.
          >
          > ^$StrSort("Str";CaseSensitive;Ascending;RemoveDuplicates)$
          > (added in v4.52)
        • Don
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
            ^!Select all
            ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";False;true;true)$

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4, 2011
              Don,

              Thanks for the correction. The clip now works perfectly.

              I am still puzzled as to why the ^$StrSort statement does not turn blue as with other NoteTab statements.

              Is there something different about statements that begin with ^$ compared with ^! statements?

              Yours,

              Michael F
              =========

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 4, 2011
                m_frascinella wrote:
                > Is there something different about statements that begin
                > with ^$ compared with ^! statements?

                Yes, ^$ is a function not a command. What Don gave works, but the
                canonical correct use would have been either
                ^!Set %variable%=^$function$
                or
                ^!InsertText ^$function$

                You can omit the ^!InsertText, but you ought not to.